Wild West Watersports coming soon to Port Alberni

What's new on the website
littlekitegirl

Post by littlekitegirl »

This all sounds very cool!!

I know very little about kiting in Port Alberni, but I've heard the biggest challenge (for kiters) is a launch spot. Any talk of building something similar to what Squamish has....?

That'd be sweet - a definate alternative to the long Nat road!

lkg
Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Bill Watterson
Skeltic

Post by Skeltic »

We are currently in the process of building a huge and safe launch. I don't want to say too much yet but if it all goes to plan it will be a really great launch. There how is that for not saying much??
lkg

Post by lkg »

nice... that's all I needed to hear! :)
AC

:)

Post by AC »

I like to launch off the government dock"
lolo
Skeltic

Post by Skeltic »

Sandy Beach

creating safe access to water in Port Alberni, Vancouver Is

Post by Sandy Beach »

This is a brief update about the Wild West Watersports Day Use Area in Port Alberni.

Things are progressing nicely on all fronts at the old plywood mill site on the waterfront in Port Alberni. We have been fortunate to have ongoing support in principle from the various layers of government and overwhelming positive enthusiasm from the people of the Alberni valley and windsport community.

We are stoked that the public wants to see this happen for this upcoming summer season!

Currently, it's a work-in-progress to creating safe access to the water for windsport enthusiasts and we are planning to have the grand opening May long weekend.

There will be plenty of room for parking, rigging and we are continuing to work on controlled, safe launches for windsurfing and kiteboarding.

At this point in time, due to the nature of the planned kiteboarding access/launch, the kiteboarding area is expert only, as indicated on our website. www.wildwestwatersports.com

Things are evolving at the speed of light, and there will be another update in a few days.

Plan to check us out, as our doors will be open to the public this upcoming Victoria day weekend.

We look forward to sharing this new destination and water playground on Vancouver Island with everyone this summer!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Sandy Beach

Grand Opening postponed

Post by Sandy Beach »

Great ventures take time to establish and since the Wild West Watersports team is breaking new ground with creating water access on the Port Alberni inlet for this summer, some of the fundamentals are continuing to be set up.
Therefore, we are postponing the open house to the public until we iron out a few more details.
We will continue to keep you posted.

www.wildwestwatersports.com
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

we're behind you, just let us know! :)
We windsurf - life must be good!
Sandy Beach

wild west watersports in Port Alberni

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thanks, Geoffy!

The wind community has been overwhelmingly supportive about the potential of this new endeavour. The stoke and positive feedback that we receive from the friendly people of the Alberni valley and the motivated wind community really help us to maintain our focus for the bigger picture and long-term vision.
This drives us to push through the daily obstacles that we encounter trying to establish a safe water access.

Once we open our doors, we will welcome you all to create a spectacle and wind-driven show on the Alberni inlet to demonstrate to the public/politicians the underutilized natural resource of wind they have on their doorstep, just waiting to help stimulate new directions for their community.

Rob, Matt and Sandra fully appreciate all of the outstretched hands that have been offered to support this ambitious venture.

We are truly looking forward to the excitement and fun times waiting to be discovered in Port Alberni this summer!!
KC7777

Wild West Watersports

Post by KC7777 »

Hi Sandy Beach,

This spot could be really good for me.....as I could even day-trip over from Buckley Bay when I am at Hornby Island in the summer. Port Alberni is about an hour from that ferry.

I am just wondering what the business model is.....ie is it city land, do people pay a fee to use the site (like at Squamish)? Or is it something different.

Are you considering buying some gear (windsurfing boards, SUPS, kayaks, kites, etc.)....then offering it for rent at the site (and testing it yourself every day of course). Then you are sailing stuff that you can write-off for taxes. The risk here is most who sail have their own gear....so only buy stuff you want for yourself. Or maybe partner with some groups and set up a demo centre or school? I seem to remember Starboard had a "school plan" where you could buy gear for a bit less if you were running a school.

I'm sure you have thought of all this stuff. But as a business instructor at the University of the Fraser Valley.....and a Chartered Accountant....I would be happy to provide some free business or tax advice. Just let me know by PM.

And likely I could also hook you up with a university marketing class that could do some free market analysis for you.....

Well done on the new venture! See you sometime in the summer.

Keith
Sandy Beach

supportive wind community for the PA WWW plans

Post by Sandy Beach »

hi KC 7777,
Thank-you for your post and overly generous offer. All I can say is WOW!!!

What an amazing wind community we have here! It feels like a barn-raising with all of the support that is being offered up. I have a feeling that there is a pent-up demand to have a decent, safe water access to get on that windy Alberni inlet.

Yes, the Wild West Watersports site in Port Alberni will be a great new destination for you, Keith, since it sounds like you spend a lot of your summertime on Hornby Island. It's just a hop, skip and a jump over for a sweet, thermal, slalom windsurfing session.

Also, you are correct re. city lease, and a day-use fee for the parking, rigging, launching and all around warm, fun gathering place to hang out. We envision it to be a hot spot.

There are lots of irons in the fire re. gear and parnterships with various local shops. Thanks for your suggestions and good ideas.

I look forward to racing you on the inlet this summer, Casey Sevens 8)
Wavos Rancheros

Sauna?

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Hey Rob and Sandy, Just wondering, if you guys have any ideas for a "nitinat style" sauna up there, I've got a nice woodstove and 20 feet of stainless flexible chimney you could have :?: Let me know.
windsurf247

sauna

Post by windsurf247 »

A sauna eh? Hmmm.....people don't really like sauna's do they?? :lol:

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to check into it as the fire restrictions up here are pretty severe. Not sure if a woodstove would be considered a risk or not. Some heat sure would be nice :D

I'll let you know in the next few days.

Cheers.
Rob
Sandy Beach

wild west watersports on A Channel news tonight

Post by Sandy Beach »

Wild West Watersports in Port Alberni was interviewed and will be on the 6:30 news on channel 12 tonight. Thanks again for all of your ongoing support with this venture. I will post the YouTube link later.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.