Westerly sailing spots for begineers

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I was hopeful to get more info on Pat Bay... it seems like a great place but a little in-consistent with some gusty conditions off the Malahat / Highlands when its blowing in the JDF.
The recent discussions with the Airport Authority and seaplane guys seems like it was good but I'd hate to be comprimising a float plane coming in for a landing when I'm trying to relaunch a kite.
Any kiters like to go here? seems generally a WS area.
monkeymanmike

Post by monkeymanmike »

Just my 2 cents worth as I am not a kiter, but I would not recommend learning to kite at Pat Bay simply because of the float planes. Last week when I was windsurfing there on a westerly, a float plane approached for a landing from the north end of the bay, flew parallel to the road and landed at the south end. It was between me and the shoreline. In other words, it was flying low and close to shore. Shortly after, it took off again, down at the south end. So it would seem that the biggest hazard is when the planes are coming in for a landing!!!!
JL

Post by JL »

Gusty wind, sharp boulders, a rd. & power lines are also factors to consider. :shock:
Thermals are good.