Where to park for Gordons / Gordons West?

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
T0URIST
Website Donor
Website Donor

Where to park for Gordons / Gordons West?

Post by T0URIST »

Hi wind people
I'm looking for a kite launch spot, last time I was at Gordons the wind was onshore, i saw a great spot to the west as the beach curves south but I could not find a parking / access to get there. :shock: I assume this is Gordon's west? Can anyone help me out with a waypoint / map / hint?

I'm sticking to Gordon's for now because I'm a beginner, still working on staying upwind, I have taken lessons with IKO and getting better each time out :-)

Also if anyone feels like heading out there, I'm going any chance I get, mainly on weekends. I'm hoping to find a kite buddy.
8)
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Gordons_Beach

there is a small driveway adjacent to the properties right before the road begins to bend..look for that power pole.. this is really the only access other than parking just past Tugwell Creek's bridge where you have to gear up and walk the river to the beach.. I'm sure you'll see JL (Jim) around or Juandesooke (John) but they'll launch a little downwind of where Tugwell spits out at Martins place
not the greatest spot for begineers... check out Island View on a nice sou easter.. tonight may be a little windy!
I'm heading for willows which is a great spot but its onshore
Attachments
Gordos.jpg
Gordos.jpg (478.75 KiB) Viewed 8674 times
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Gordons_Beach @ low tide you can walk up to Tugwell creek from the windsurf launch. OR park West of the bridge & walk under the bridge & up the creek. 1. West wind is what you want here 2. DO NOT fly your kite over the trees/cabins 3. read the wiki link ... https://vimeo.com/4861217#[Vimeo][/Vimeo]
Thermals are good.
T0URIST
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by T0URIST »

Thanks abetanzo and JL !!
I know exactly where to go now... I passed it last time. I will try IV the first chance I get, hopefully this weekend - c'mon NE/SE !
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

You do not want a NE coming our way... trust me.
CTK

Post by CTK »

For kiting. Park at tug well and go under bridge up creek. Best/ safest launch spot. Don't try and launch your kite in that small parking spot before tug well. Sketch.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

abetanzo wrote:there is a small driveway adjacent to the properties right before the road begins to bend..look for that power pole.. this is really the only access other than parking just past Tugwell Creek's bridge where you have to gear up and walk the river to the beach..
due to the very limited parking at the MOT right-of-way lot, windsurfers will totally appreciate it if kiters continue to park at the bridge parking area :idea: to carry windsurf gear from the bridge is a wicked undertaking, conversely kiter access to the proper kite launch is shorter via the creek trail. thanks all :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
GWIND

Parking

Post by GWIND »

Good point Kus.
Aaaaand a note for Newbies- DO NOT PARK IN OR TO CLOSE TO RESIDENTS DRIVEWAYS. 8) There has been friction in the past.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

:idea: I need some help. RD and I talked about sharing a June session at Gordon's in the spring of 2012. Although it was not to be, I really want to make a memorial session happen in the spring of 2013, if I can. My window is from now until June 26.

I have ready through the info on the wiki - thanks to those that put that together! 8)

:?: I would really appreciate anyone with 'local knowledge' shooting me a PM if they see a promising set-up starting to gel (please and thank you)! :D :wink:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

sent you a pm, C36 8)

As for the parking, it appears the road maint crew made a nice 8' swath through the berry patch at the MOT lot....I will determine where the prop lines are so we are not infringing on the lot owner and maybe we can park better & with some practice. Right now you'd need a 4x to not get stuck in there :? the parking issue only persists for june/ july really :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!

AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

What about the beach kind of before most of the beach houses at Gordons about 200-300m prior (heading W) to Tugwell? Lots of parking and beach accesses. Assuming wind is very onshore there but that’s no biggy. Was deserted there today but I’m guessing a busy spot on a hot day there.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

AJSpencer wrote:What about the beach kind of before most of the beach houses at Gordons about 200-300m prior (heading W) to Tugwell? Lots of parking and beach accesses. Assuming wind is very onshore there but that’s no biggy. Was deserted there today but I’m guessing a busy spot on a hot day there.
hmm damn we all missed that wide open area all these years! Give it a go, let us know how it went :idea: maybe it works for foil
Wish less, sail more!!

AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

ya should have said “why not that part of the beach?”. So either no wind or if there is wind its nasty shore break there. Just wondered. thanks