The Friends of Island View Beach

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
JL

Post by JL »

The <a href="/https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-sour ... f?sfvrsn=6" target="_blank">final plan</a> from the CRD for Is. view has been released. It includes fencing the beach from the park with 5 access points. Here is a synopsis: http://www.friendsofislandviewbeach.com ... t_plan.pdf
Thermals are good.
Rx
Developer
Developer

Post by Rx »

Jim, help me to understand all this.

In the review I read;
"A 1.25km fence the full length of the shoreline, to stop the public from moving between the park and the beach. The CRD propose to build 5 access points along the shoreline and require the public to use those."

In the CRD proposal on map 6, I see one access South of the gazebo and the next one (heading north) is in front of the campground. The other 3 are all farther north of the campground.

This would mean NO access to the beach between the gazebo and the campground. And wouldn't that essentially be the END OF KITING AT ISLAND VIEW BEACH?

Am I reading this proposal correctly?
"Wind and waves, take daily!"
JL

Post by JL »

I clearly explained to the CRD park planning committee that the kiters would not like to see any more structures in the recreational area of the park. (field) :twisted: I can only hope that fiscal restraints, climate change ( rising sea levels ) & vandalism ensure that the park is not fenced in like a zoo :idea:
Attachments
beach access.PNG
beach access.PNG (130.25 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
Thermals are good.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: The Friends of Island View Beach

Post by juandesooka »

Rx wrote:Jim, help me to understand all this.

In the review I read;
"A 1.25km fence the full length of the shoreline, to stop the public from moving between the park and the beach. The CRD propose to build 5 access points along the shoreline and require the public to use those."

In the CRD proposal on map 6, I see one access South of the gazebo and the next one (heading north) is in front of the campground. The other 3 are all farther north of the campground.

This would mean NO access to the beach between the gazebo and the campground. And wouldn't that essentially be the END OF KITING AT ISLAND VIEW BEACH?

Am I reading this proposal correctly?
Looks to me like there's an access right at the gazebo. Isn't that where the I is on that map?

Rx
Developer
Developer

Post by Rx »

Sooka, I took the I to be the information board adjacent to the path from the parking lot to the washrooms. The symbol just north of the arrow appears to me to indicate the gazebo.

But regardless, can you image all the kiters and windsurfers and dog walkers and everybody else coming and going to and from the beach all crowed onto a single path!

And then with the gazebo downwind...just in case you need to eject!
"Wind and waves, take daily!"
JL

Post by JL »

Obviously I see a fenced beach as a hazard. As previously mentioned (Marc) we kite & windsurf during storms & the subsequent tidal surged makes our return to the beach (from the water) a necessary quick exit from wherever we land. Moving logs, gusty storm wind & slippery kelp are hazards enough without the addition of a fence !!! :twisted:
Thermals are good.