Windfest 2016

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

JL

Post by JL »

I honestly can understand your frustration with that :P Nimpkish perhaps :?: :idea:
Thermals are good.
GWIND

Weather

Post by GWIND »

My observation on the lake weather is that it is going to be very windy on Sat. and rain on Sun. Hope is all we have.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Windude we stay away from the windsurf area, and only have 5 people on the course at time. 6 max

You're more likely to be bothered by the 300 other kiters that show up for good wind.

Re not changing dates and running on lousy wind days - that's not why the team of 8 volunteers has been working on this since November. That's not why everyone gets stoked for wind fest. WIND fest.

Don't like us changing dates? We will have a complaint department to handle these issues.

Its a green building close to the round about.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

icurumba wrote:Surfing learned years ago the way to hold great events is to have an event window.
So tough to nail it on one weekend...and very stressful for the organizers.

I believe king of the air in Cape town now have an event window...and they pull the trigger based on an excellent forecast.
King of the air is for Pros. Not Grassroots weekend warriors looking for a fun time with friends.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

nanmoo wrote:
icurumba wrote:Surfing learned years ago the way to hold great events is to have an event window.
So tough to nail it on one weekend...and very stressful for the organizers.

I believe king of the air in Cape town now have an event window...and they pull the trigger based on an excellent forecast.
King of the air is for Pros. Not Grassroots weekend warriors looking for a fun time with friends.
He has a point though, next year maybe its 'July 2017'

Even though, amazingly, even that wouldn't have worked this year.
Sandy Beach

our wind community rocks!

Post by Sandy Beach »

I seem to remember similar poor summer weather patterns in 2007, 2011 and this year. On the bright side, there's less forest fires this summer.

Thanks to all the Windfest organizers. Event coordination is onerous and certainly undervalued for the amount of volunteer work involved to pull it off! Gratefully, you all are doing it for the love and promotion of the sport.

After visiting Hood River (plus the Columbia River Gorge area) and returning home, I am reminded that we have a very special wind community on Vancouver Island, and really there's no place like it. I think a big reason is this unique BWD wind/weather resource. Plus, we are all so lucky to have such amazing windy spots all around our beautiful island.

Fingers crossed for a successful Windfest this summer!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
JL

Post by JL »

Well said Sandy :P
Thermals are good.
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

I concur JL! Well said Sandy, love our community and the hard work of the volunteers bravo!
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

let's get as many people as we can up to the lake this weekend . The local sponsors, schools, stores, and community will see how many we can draw for a National event and then next year we can guarantee solid commitments for sponsorship dollars and grants.

Come buy a T-shirt, dry-fit rashie, and make a donation to the Ditidhat Youth fund all in support of your local wind junkie community.

We have a few surprises for people and registered racers.

Costumes are welcome!
Sandy Beach

Nitinat, Windfest, ShawTV 2016

Post by Sandy Beach »

This is awesome!

<a href="/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in7aLk0QKAI"> Nitinat kiteboarding Shaw TV </a>

Great reporting, WindDiva (Alicia La Rue). Love the interview NitinatPat, MartyD and others! "kiteboarding is the new golf"!
Great job.

Just in time for the sunny, warm, windy Windfest weekend.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Does anybody know if there is anyone planning on doing any dinners in the campground for windfest weekend (like burgers/fish & chips/whatever that they had set up a couple years ago)?

Trying to plan out my meals, it's nicer to know in advance if anything is happening vs bringing food up and finding out when you're already up there.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

I've been told there will be but how reliable that is remains to be seen. the store will be open
Chris

Post by Chris »

Anybody want my paid entry in the events? This weekend was never going to work for me, like to see someone else take my spot. Make a donation to BWD in lieu?
Sandy Beach

Windfest 2016 ~ Media

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thanks to all of those people who made Windfest 2016 such a fun weekend at Nitinat!

Here's some post-event media by some of our talented, local wind community, winddiva (Alicia LaRue) and Globe (Todd MacSween). Great work, everyone!!

~ <a href="/http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2016/08/2 ... fest-wrap/" target="_blank">Windfest 2016 Nitinat article/blog in The Kiteboarder Magazine </a>

~ Globe's phenomenal Windfest 2016 video
Prepare for your mind to be blown....turn up the speakers and enjoy!
<a href="/https://vimeo.com/179136505" target="_blank"> Windfest 2016 </a>