Windsurf foiling

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Moved my mast foot 2/3 of the way forward in the mast track yesterday after reading this thread. Wish I'd tried that before, it made a huge difference to how stable the board felt. It still has inexplicable stalls and drops when I am pretty sure I haven't foiled out. I'm not falling every time this happens now at least. I did find the board is a bit harder to handle on a waterstart when its 25 knots+. The nose wants to bear off as soon as I clear the sail and shake it to power.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Question regarding different foil types:
I have the Slingshot 84 (used all the time so far) and 68 (unused so far but will try soon, possibly today). I think its been a great starter foil, and since I moved the 84 to B position I've been able to have about as long of flights as I've wanted, even in 20+ conditions, although it is probably oversensitive when going the faster speeds, so I am usually depowering and going as slow as I can while still foiling. Sometimes it'll power right up, especially when coming down a swell or something and my weight goes into the sail at the same time the foil goes down in the water and I feel it rapidly accelerate, then I spend the next several seconds fully sheeted out making sure I don't come flying out soon after. So obviously I need the 68 in those windier conditions, so I can have more speed and more stable flight.
But I'm wondering about foil designs such as the starboard racing foils. I guess what I want out of windfoiling is high speed, like 20 knots or so, eventually, but also a foil I can be sheeted out on the face of a rolling wave and carving back and forth, but ALSO a foil that I can foil in ~10 knots wind speed with bigger sails.
I suppose the 84 and 68 slingshot should be able to fulfill all of those needs. So I guess my question is more to do with comparing a 68 slingshot foil with a starboard racing foil of similar surface area. To hit the higher speeds eventually, would a design like the 68 be able to do it with stability, or would I be looking at needing a design more like the starboard racing ones, with the flatter leading edge and wider stable spread?
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

The I76 is faster than the 68 but a knot or two, it'll do 20-22kts.

At least at my body weight (200#) the Starboard race foil won't slow down enough to ride swell. They are fast and very locked in but need constant power.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

thanks
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

windfoiling

Post by Bobson »

The Twizzler or Paul B should be able to give more info regarding the Starbaord foils as they have both been using for the longest time. My TOW has been mostly on the 1100 front and 550 rear which feels early planing but the only comparison is my 2 sessions on the 800 front and 330 rear. I think the longer fuselage is the biggest change, the longer fuselage 115cm really calms things down and drives like a bus instead of sports car with the 75cm fuselage. I'm now onto the 1100 front for early planing and 330 rear to be a bit quicker. I'm going to try that set up with the 75cm fuselage and see what the speed difference is, hopefully today. just my 2 cents. the 800 front wing definitely needs to be going faster than the 1100 to stay floaty. I drop off the foil on the 800 when I slow down going out over the waves at RB. again, just my 2 cents.
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
BigD

Hot tips

Post by BigD »

Hot tips:

https://bigwinds.com/blogs/windsurfing- ... -not-heard

PS Sup Bobson, we suck at foiling together! [smilie=beer.gif]
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Nice video. Impressive masts!
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Love that video! Some great tips (bigger wing, taller mast, keep even pressure on the rail gybing and forget the sail.....)
BigD

New Slingshot Phantasm Windfoil

Post by BigD »

For the 3 people on this site that still windfoil here is the hype sheet for the new Slingshot Phantasm Lineup. Hopefully it makes it to market before summer...

Full PDF:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index ... ach=104311
Attachments
wings.jpg
wings.jpg (88.21 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Favourite Starboard foil setup for windfoiling

Post by tweezer »

My favourite Starboard foil setup for 15+ knots and wave riding is the 1000 front, 330 rear, 75 fuse on the foilx105 with a 4.5 Flyer. As the wind gets past 20 I switch down to the revo 3.5 which will take me up to 35-40 knots. Could use a smaller rig for 35+ but I don't have one so I make do with the 3.5 flattened. I use the same foil setup throughout that wind range and speeds are around 20knots. For 12-20 knots I can use the same foil setup on my 2018 122 starboard with a 6.0 retro. I get a nice windsurfing style stance in both straps with that foil setup. I've also done a lot of hours on the 115 fuse, 255 rear, 800 or 1000 front on the 122L board and the 6.0. The longer fuse gives more stability and it was the secret to my first foiling gybes after learning with the 800-75-330 for the first sessions. The 115 puts the front foil further forward though and means I never really use the rear straps on my 122 but works fine and my PR speeds are on that setup. I guess speed = stability/fear!
Then we get to sub 12knots and it is exclusively 800or1000-115-255 on the old formula board (180L) and a 9.0m Hyperglide. This rig gets me going around 8 knots pretty easily and I can hang on up to maybe 18 before it's just too much. The racers and youths can hang on until 30. I'm not either anymore although I like to think so!
The difference between the 800 and 1000 is pretty subtle. The 1000 doesn't really get up any sooner than the 800, but it comes back down later than the 800. The 800 is faster by a couple knots at the top end. I don't have the 115+ so no tuneable rear foil which is supposed to be the cat's PJ's.
I also have a 550 front foil with close to zero time. Definitely faster. I'd like to experiment with that again soon. I tried it with the 550-75-255 and that required too much rear foot pressure. I have to try the 550-75-330. That is likely quite slalom feeling and fast.
Now I have some larger Axis foils for winging and I want to experiment with them for old school freestyle stuff on the windfoil. "Balz" style :) yeah not likely but it looks super fun!