BWD Oregon Coast Windsport and Super Burrito Wave Camp 2017!

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

shaggy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by shaggy »

Unfortunately won't be hitting Oregon. Drooling over the session logs and pics. So heading to Tofino tomorrow for a few days.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S10 – windsurf – Newport (2017 June 23)

Return. Left Florence and the comforts of the Honeyman State Park to head north to Newport on the promise of the end of the cycle forecast. Windoctor had never sailed Newport before, but the funny part was it was the first spot that both Simon and I had windsurfed on the Oregon coast, although our experiences were very different – gentle for him, rather frightening for me. So today it was a return for us. The drive north of Florence is spectacularly scenic (as Jesse mentioned)! Quick look-see at Kus`spot at Muriel O Ponsler – beautiful spot with great access to the water. Neptune Bay also looked interesting for surf/SUP. We arrived around noon to find an oasis of a rigging area (very `civilized` as Alton would say), Trudy (she too had also grown weary of Florence), and 9m kites out in waist to should high waves! Local wisdom said the wind was to ramp up around 2pm. At 2pm it still looked light but enticing, so I took big gear (115/5.3) out for a try and Simon followed. First run – light. Second run – just powered. Third run – well powered (fully rotated back loop). Fourth run – Windoctor was running back up the beach to grab his own gear! On the mid-tide the day felt a lot like Long Beach but with a larger ‘playing field’ as the gentle slope of the beach makes for a larger break. Early clean lines of fun-sized waves melted away a little on the ebbing tide as more and more of the beach was revealed. Simon upped his success rate to three for four adding Newport to his list for this trip. He also took my old 5.3 Elite out for a test drive today so there were two sails flying C36 at times today – Simon (blue/green/orange) and David (blue/orange). The wind kept building and soon all three of us had rerigged to smaller sails (and board for me). Chris closed off the session making the most of the tail end of the cycle. Trudy said this cycle was one of the longest/strongest she could remember. Even with the long session WD had energy to burn and was doing calisthenics with his new prototype ‘bam-boom-inator’ when he got in. $11 overflow camping at the South Beach State Park tonight (some confusion at the gate about when and if it was going to open, thick swarms of mosquitoes at dusk and dawn, but dark and quiet). Ops. Almost forgot - thanks to WD for taking the time to shoot yesterday!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Thanks for shooting, C36!!!
Poultry in motion
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

winddoctor wrote:Thanks for shooting, C36!!!
My pleasure! :D

S11 –SUP – Agate Beach (2017 June 24)

Magic. High heat. Waist to chest high glassy waves. SUP. Exactly what was required. Lovely smooth rides with minimal effort for most of the session. So glad I took the ProWave down! Then moved past the peak into a rip and the swell size jacked. This was requiring more effort than desired, so rode one to the beach and called it. Windoctor got some awesome shots of the surfers in the lee of Yakina Head (incredible barrelling wave)! Returned back to South Jetty State Park south of Newport to find wind still teasing. Simon headed home. Windoctor and I pulled the plug too and headed south to the campo and passed through south wind under sunny skies on route. 33 when we left Newport and a brisk 12 when we arrived in Gold Beach. Strange.

Slideshow

S12 –SUP – Cape Sebastian (2017 June 25)

South Swell. South swell had arrived in earnest but it had a travelling partner – south wind. Pistol River was dumpy; Meyer Creek had a point break left and onshore wrap; Cape looked familiar on the uber low tide (lines of south swell) but a little rolly. Decided on the Cape. Windoctor said he would `rather read a book` when he saw the conditions, but I headed out anyway with the AllWave. Challenging, but rewarding. Windoctor graciously coached and shot photos. Tide was flooding quickly. Almost got barrelled in the mid-tide shore pound. Left the largest waves unchallenged as they were dumping in lines (at least that is my story and I am sticking to it).

Slideshow

S13 –windsurf – North Jetty (2017 June 25)

Surprise, surprise! South wind. Sunshine. South swell. North Jetty. We stopped at the visitor centre for a quick look-see and it seemed the gravity of Windoctor’s ‘book’ had been replaced by the freshening south wind. Next stop was the North Jetty and this is where we launched. Windoctor was amped to be sailing down-the-line side-on conditions to port. He ripped a few (hundred) turns! I took out 5.3/115 but was stop-start and in the end decided to call it after a long energy sucking walk of shame courtesy of a lull and some current. Seasonal Gold Beach resident kiter said the locals usually launch from the wayside to the north to avoid extra current from the Rogue River. Fun to try new spots and new moves - check out Windoctor’s ‘Seastar’ (below)! Busy day for an 'off day'.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Those are both awesome photos Chris and Dave. Funny after all these years avoiding South winds and now all of a sudden...
Don't forget to bring a towel!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S14 – SUP – Secret Cove (2017 June 26)

All-day breakfast. Started the day with a SUP. First stop Cape Sebastian - super low tide (about a foot and half according to a local clam fisherman). No go – mixed swell, rolly and round waves. Second stop Meyers Beach. No go – too mixed and churny. Third stop Secret Cove. Some success – large, fast and powerful peaking waves. Challenging setup. Called it after taking more than a few on the head and Windoctor made pancakes for lunch wayside. Nice way to chillax. I went into town to run errands and do laundry and got a text – “Secret Cove working well”. I didn’t reply (after all I had laundry to do). Second text, “Get down here.” OK, the laundry can wait. Arrived to see more approachable conditions with some big rides on offer. Windoctor mentioned he started off a little wobbly, but then thing kicked in a he was ripping. My pictures likely caught the wobbly part ~ oops. But WD is great sport (he laughed so hard when he saw the ‘seastar’ photo). Turned out better and more fun than morning of three strikes for me! The afternoon turns were for George! There was a local surfer who was super friendly and was all smiles (just like George) when I dropped into a sweet right. Real fast! Another great ‘off day’ in Gold Beach. Funny part is there were five surfers in the line-up after we had left the water – looks like the `secret` is out! Local surfer mentioned this spot favours a high tide. Pad Thai from the food truck was a nice treat at the end of the day! Special thanks to Windoctor for the shooting and coaching in the morning, making all-day breakfast and for the afternoon surf report!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Locals call the spot in the photo "baby bay" and on the north side not surprisingly "Myers creek" so I was told by a friendly dude named Trevor. Word has it is the best spot in the area at the moment hence the first crowds we've seen at our sarcastically named secret bay.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S15 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2017 June 27)

Finale. Portland Dave, The Law and BWD himself all arrived in the last 24 hours. South swell was still pumping in and wind arrived. My trip came to a grinding halt shortly after taking to the water this morning. Light steady wind and south swell drew me out first, but on second run out I gybed, flipped the sail, hooked in, loaded the sail and heard a cracking sound and felt like my back right bottom rib fold into my internal organs. The weirdest sensation I have ever experienced out on the water. There are not to many things that would cause me to leave the Cape on a morning like this, but that sensation was one of them. On my way in I tried for one more DTL ride on the wave walling up, but my body refused to `go`. Nursed my rig back in under considerable discomfort, carried it up the hill where Leo and The Law graciously derigged for me. Debated about releasing the harness but did and it instantly felt some better. The good folk at Curry County Hospital reassured me they couldn`t see a break following a series of X-rays and follow-up CAT scan (to check the organs), but even if just muscular it is too uncomfortable to continue to sail on the coast. 15 sessions over 10 days was a great run. Sorry to see it end. Arrived back at the beach to say my good-byes and shoot a few sample pictures. The Cape looked to have ramped way up and was challenging even the most skilled of sailors out with super gusty conditions, but there were some moments of glory too! Hope this report isn`t too dramatic and that those arriving are treated to an even better run! Many thanks to all those who have sailed the Oregon coast before and inspired me to travel there too and to all who shared in my time there this year and special thanks to Windoctor for sharing all the great moments over the last few days!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Too bad about the ribs C36. Heal up!
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Jeez, 2017 is turning into the year of rib injuries :?
Get well soon!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

nanmoo wrote:Locals call the spot in the photo "baby bay" and on the north side not surprisingly "Myers creek" so I was told by a friendly dude named Trevor. Word has it is the best spot in the area at the moment hence the first crowds we've seen at our sarcastically named secret bay.
Good to know Moo. Noticed one other thing about "baby bay" the other day with WD and daLaw, on a super low (around 1') tide - it looked there was a rock boiling the surface in the take-off zone north of centre (maybe top third of the beach). I tried to snap a shot, but tide was flooding and waves diminishing so not luck. Maybe the others got one.

After spending some time in Gold Beach, Hood River felt like Beverly Hills.

Quick stop at Swell City for a look-see and quick harness test. Optimistically though I would be able to sail there (modest pain, decent strength and decent mobility), but 'no go' (body rejecting the harness (even the larger more supportive T7). Thanks to all who have sent healing energy. Off to VGH today to try and get a solid diagnosis.

mini album
Last edited by C36 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yes! There is a big boulder right in the center. I got bounced off it when Jesse and I surfed a punchy day there earlier this month. Ultra sketch.