Life jackets?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
windsurf247

Post by windsurf247 »

There's a big difference between a PFD and a life jacket. A life jacket will keep you face up if you're unconscious while a PFD is only designed for floatation.

A true life jacket is often too bulky for harness use and does restrict swimming ability. Best bet is to try it and see what works best for you.

It is mandatory by law to wear a PFD but is rarely enforced. If Shawnigan has a summer RCMP patrol, I'd wear one. It's a hefty fine if they nab you.

Personally, I just wear a helmet, but do what works for you. Everyone is different.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

There an echo in here or do you just want the last word Rob? :lol: or...the PA coffee kicked in the internet connection 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Gord Baines

Post by Gord Baines »

Hey Rob, know anyone who experienced that hefty fine you’re talking about? :lol:
windsurf247

Post by windsurf247 »

Just making sure you're paying attention Kus
😏
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Gord Baines wrote:Hey Rob, know anyone who experienced that hefty fine you’re talking about? :lol:
Yeah, not while doing board sports, but I had my truck stolen in Bamfield (a long time ago) and we ended up short one PFD for crossing from the motel to the café after work in our skiff. I went without, it being flat calm and the risk of immersion very low, and of course was stopped by RCMP boat on the way back. I think it was about $200 back in the 1990s. The locals (who normally never bothered with life jackets) had put the call out over radio about the police presence and 'take yer PFD', but we missed it.

I've never heard of a windsurfer/kiter being fined on the west coast. I think we often get classed with the racing kayak/canoes/shells which don't need to wear PFDs if in a race or training. There are some new regulations coming out soon, it will be interesting to see if there has been a change for us.
JL

Post by JL »

Cindy Lee was given a ticket for not having a PFD while windsurfing @ China Creek ~ 1985 8)
Thermals are good.
windsurf247

Post by windsurf247 »

Oh it happens Morley! People just don't talk about it😏
We are still classed as a sailing vessel and required to have all the safety kit onbiard Hopefully the upcoming changes you refer to acknowledge how ridiculous that is and the laws are changed accordingly.
Jeffreyheslop9

Post by Jeffreyheslop9 »

So I just gave a very quick read through on the gov page. It sounds like we have to wear them. The thing is that if we hate wearing a wetsuit will that not provide enough. I know they are not rated as any kind of safety.
When is the new regulations coming out. I’m thinking that they will only become more strict.
JL

Post by JL »

I used to long board elk lake with a pfd tied to the top of the mast as a protest :idea:
Thermals are good.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

MartyD wrote:We use Mustang watersport PFDs for teaching. They are not too bulky and accommodate swimming well.
These ones?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=mustang+ ... ie=plaji-i