Windsurf Foiling Discussion

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I don't bother foiling if I can rig a 5.7 with a fin, so can't comment on high wind suitability of the H2. I do know that it has a somewhat limited top end compared to most foils that have similar low end capabilities. I imagine that the H5 would be far better in more wind, I'd might buy the one for sale locally to see.
The combination of wings you mention should cover most conditions you are likely to find.

My desire for the 84cm is so I can try down wind swell riding then motor back under sail.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I found the H2 sketchy in higher winds, and the H5 awesome when it picks up. Those have been my 2 foils this year. I picked up an H 3 on sale for $120. It is the wing Wyatt uses to jump and is a more high performance, faster wing, albeit with a higher stall speed. Between those 3 I am set...until I go carbon with next gen. slingshot gear ... ( as prices drop and the tech levels off)
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Do you use them all on your freestyle board? What sail sizes?
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Yes, on the 110l Fanatic Skate. I use a 5.8m in winds as low as ... I am not sure, but it was before the foil kiters were out at Nitinat. 12 knots? At the end of the season I was getting pretty efficient on the low end.

I was using a 3.7 m sail with the H5 in 25 knots. Why, you may ask? Because it is so smooth and fun.

I had the H3 for one session and didn't like it (because I wasn't good enough, I think). Wyatt convinced me to try it again and so I bought another one for 1/2 the price of the one I sent back - so that worked out just fine.

I think I will really like the H3 next year. There were features of it that I liked in the short time I tried it - really fast (or at least quite a bit faster than the H2 and H5), and also a much more stable turn "feel" at speed.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Black Friday sales brought no joy. I relented and paid top dollar for an Infinity 84. Haven’t put it through its paces yet, but it’s definitely huge and has lots of lift. (“It’s real. And it’s spectacular”)

This is for SUP foil and hopefully eventually surf foil. I am also on the lookout for an H2 wing, which will be for bigger faster waves. I borrowed Shaggy’s on a good day and got some really great rides. I suspect the Infinity 84’s lift will get unmanageable at higher speeds. So, if any of you decide to move on from your H2 wing, please keep me in mind, I’ve got pennies on the dollar burning a hole my pocket.

Oh, and I have a kite hoverglide wing for sale or trade: the NF2/H5. I suspect it has pretty similar lift to the H3, so it could be a fun high wind option for windfoiling.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I'm pretty sure I'll be machining my foil to fit the regular tuttle box on this Kombat this weekend. That will give me a chance to try a narrow strap position. I'm not sure I'll like it with bigger sails upwind but I bet it will be fun to carve.
I had a gusty, mostly underpowered session on that board yesterday which made me realize that I really do prefer a foil when it's marginal.

NP is advertising their new foil works well with FSW and other narrowish boards:
https://www.neilpryde.com/products/glide-wind
Interestingto see the front straps set wide and the rear on center but looking fairly tight (just the toes in). Too bad they don't offer it with a choice of fin heads and wings, sucks to buy the base model then have to spend more. I bet they sell a tonne of them which will make the used market great in 2020-2021.
elt

Post by elt »

If I get to that point Juan with my H2, I'll for sure let you know first. It may also be worth doing an online chat with mackiteboarding to see if they have any demo or damaged H2s that aren't on their website. That's how I got myself a blemished H5, though they are a dime a dozen comparatively.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Juandesooka - the H3 and H5 are very different. H5 is essentially a smaller version of the H2, while the H3 is a swoopy high speed machine with a much higher stall speed.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

on the way to sail with this guy now.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tASi6EXItdk
curses - foiled again!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Are you seriously heading down to Prowindsurf LV? Jealous! Say hi for us!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Does the H3 need more power/larger sails or just more speed before lifting off? Mackite has them for $100....
Hoping the infinity will become that cheap one day.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

More power/ speed. I am not sure about its light wind / big sail versatility.

I was using it with a 4.7 in 15- 20 knots, maybe?
BigD

Foil setup for Large Humans

Post by BigD »

Just got a foil setup as follows:
- Slingshot Infinity 84cm Front Wing (the biggest front wing)
- Slingshot Infinity 48cm Rear Stabilizer (the biggest rear wing)
- Slingahot 71 cm fuselage
- Slingshot 90cm mast
- Slingshot Dialer 145L Board
- Slingshot Ride Engine Hoof Hooks

Was able to Foil across the river multiple times on the first day ever foiling. If you are 200+ lbs and considering getting a foil have a look at these components. I was on a 4.7 all day in variable 18 -25k conditions. Can't wait to see how low a windspeed I can get this thing going in...

I pieced mine together but there is a sick deal at Winddance on the foil setup(with a smaller rear stabilizer)
http://www.windance.com/Slingshot-Fwind ... -84/47071/

Sub 200lb humans are generally going for the 76cm Infinity here in HR

Let's Foil!
KC7777

Foiling

Post by KC7777 »

Hey Dallas,

Nice to see you are foiling! Haha

My quiver down to just a Foil board and my 96L Fanatic Freewave tri-fin. Way less stress just packing two boards.

Taking my foil set up to Hornby next week. Wouldn’t usually even get to sail there in summer, but with a foil set up most summer days are breezy enough in Lambert channel to get going on my 6.0 Flyer. At 160 lbs I can foil in almost no wind. It’s freaky. Haven’t tried my foil with small sails yet. Just 5.2M and 6.0M.

Try a Sailworks Flyer sail. Way more stable when flying.

Keith
BigD

Post by BigD »

I have way too many boards right now and they're all in my car! I could see the foil setup replacing a lot of lightwind gear.

I want to try the flyers. Let's go to Nitnat so I can use yours. What foill have you got?