BWD Oregon Coast Pan-Windsport Meth Free Wave Camp 2019

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

If I can find my gear I plan on being down for the last week of June.
Shonandb

Post by Shonandb »

Hoping to get down for a week to 10 days the first week of July.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

hi guys i do still sail now and then but this year I've committed to do a hiking trip that will eat up most of my time. No D2 bus but other dave might show up. On a side note, the bus is for sale, anyone want an '96 econoline with 400k on the clock get in touch. :D
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

nanmoo wrote:The Vegas money is always on mid to late June.
My stand-by window looks to be opening on June 13. A few others on Mainland May have similar windows.

Anyone have an updated link to the 9 panel pressure model (it seems to have disappeared)?
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Florence

Post by Tsawwassen »

Forecast for Florence looks good, Sun, Mon, Tues.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.15.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.15.27 AM.png (130.55 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Coastal bound!! Florence tmw then pistol. I got to put my 3.7m to use!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

redbaron wrote:Coastal bound!! Florence tmw then pistol. I got to put my 3.7m to use!
Awesome, I'm leaving Friday!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I'm out this round, boys. Ankles are still F'd. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe a second chance in August. Rip it up and session a DQ somewhere for me.
Poultry in motion
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Thought I'd repost this link. Warning: it hurts to watch this. Webcam above the Cape Sebastian area, it sometimes pans so you can see Pistol River in the distance to the south:
http://www.godsbeach.org/video1.html

Awww maaaaan!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

winddoctor wrote:I'm out this round, boys. Ankles are still F'd. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe a second chance in August. Rip it up and session a DQ somewhere for me.
Sad news WD. Sending healing energy your way. Hope you have a quick and full recovery.

Here are the first four installments. Hope you and others enjoy them.

S1 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 13)

Circle. Delayed departure. 6.5 hours straight through. Arrived in town about 3:30 pm. One errand then out on the water. Circle of life played out as a giant dead sturgeon had washed up on the windward side of the point (no pictures out of respect). Wind was solid on arrival but patching and funky when I was out. Playful swell made it fun. Friendly locals cheering each other on. 30 degree air temp and 30+ mph wind! Refreshing to rinse off in the fresh water after a day on the road. Thai food truck dinner – yum! Gates up at the gravel pit so checked into Tucker Park.

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)

S2 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 14)

By-pass. 15 degree drop in temps from 30 yesterday to 15 for the morning session. By-passed shopping for an early morning session on small gear (3.4/74) . Big swell! Big wind! Big Fun! Local chatter was ‘best day of the year’ (so far). Looks like the Hurricane sail loft has been reactivated – core group of locals were sporting their latest prototypes. Nice score for Tsawwassen’s first session at Swell City.

Gallery (if you want to view as a slideshow, hit the "slide show" icon top right - it looks like a screen)

S3 – windsurf – Swell City (2019 June 14)

Repeat. Opted out of trip out east when wind graphs out there started to shoulder off and instead choose to return to similar conditions in the afternoon at Swell City. Tsawwassen had more fun in the afternoon than in the morning (I was the reverse). Wind got punchy and backed a little so I got grumpy.

S4 – windsurf – Florence City (2019 June 15)

Goldie Locks. Drove out to Newport last night. Quick surf check at Agate Beach and then off to Florence (as it was gusting 20 mph already). Arrived to small waves and steady wind. Rigged medium-gear (4.5/92) and let the wind come to us. Underpowered (slog n’ ride), just right (powered in and out with some jumping), then overpowered (a little angry). Ground swell was modest and wind swell was hard to read (changing, merging). Waves in the lee of the jetty were cleaner, but hard to reach. Still some fun playful multi-hit waves. Fun reunion session on the coast!

Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

winddoctor wrote:I'm out this round, boys. Ankles are still F'd. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe a second chance in August. Rip it up and session a DQ somewhere for me.
Sorry to hear that Chris, hope you can make it down later in the summer!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Dave, another solid free camp option for next time is Post Canyon. You'll see folks all over near the mountain bike trail heads. Sign say no bueno but it's not enforced. Much closer than the pit or Tucker. Plus if you have a bike you can go shred gnar.

Probably leaving Thursday.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

nanmoo wrote:Dave, another solid free camp option for next time is Post Canyon. You'll see folks all over near the mountain bike trail heads. Sign say no bueno but it's not enforced. Much closer than the pit or Tucker. Plus if you have a bike you can go shred gnar.

Probably leaving Thursday.
Good to know. Thanks. Took a drive up past the gravel pit and there are a couple of spots up high on the plateau too.

Hope to be down here still when you arrive.

S5 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 16)

Hit and miss. Strong wind at the Cape from early on, then it backed to allow for a 4.0/74 session before the hate returned. Tony joined in. Wave selection was hit and miss (later dictated by hunting for holes to gybe in on the outside – yielding limited choice). Lent Alex a mast extension (for the second year in a row).

The locals seemed to hit waves with size at high tide. Some hints of background south swell, but a lot of west.

Then went down to The Rock to watch the 10th Anniversary IWT Pistol River Wave Bash (youth, women, amateur men, masters, grand masters). Saw a few familiar faces run their heats (Jesse, Dana, Leo, Peter, Rhonda, Pepe) and Jesse said he had advanced to the semi-final round – well done!

Tsawwassen mentioned that Trudy had posted the outside sand bar was taking most of wave energy and that`s what it looked like (mostly gentler reform on the inside). Saw Luke out driving the jet ski positioning the photographer for water shots.

The pros were killing it practicing down in what Peter called the `soup bowl`. Overheard Phil telling Jesse that an accidental second rotation on a push loop was just about the end of him.

Fun to play (Cape) and fun to watch (Rock). Practice waves at the Cape were fun, but hoping for a little more swell tomorrow. Checking out the Indian River RV Park tonight (as there are some that want washrooms) - $20-25 per night (two cars on a site), solid WiFi, but mosquitoes. Happy to chat with my Dad on Father`s Day.

Last edited by C36 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S6 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 17)

Stoke. South swell rolled through in intervals.

Pepe was so excited to land a starboard back loop we could hear him from atop the bluff. Tony said best day of windsurfing ever – four waves in a row. Michael caught a bomb and hit an aerial/ejection off the lip. Cali Chris was feeling the flow.

Johnny was hitting the lip with authority. Rhonda was happy to have survived a session at the Cape. Much stoke was shared.

C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

S7 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 18 )

Wake-Up. Jesse took to the water for a morning low-tide wake-up session at the Cape and I joined in. Wind was steady, waves were clean and smaller, but more consistent than yesterday. Caught a few nice south swells on the way in (instead of what seemed like taking them all in the face on the way out yesterday). Lingered on the water as the rest of the crew joined in. Finally left when my gear (4.5/92) was too big. Fun session! Saw Tsawwassen do a solid bottom turn, solid top turn and then get sent straight to the bottom of the sea. Nice to see Heather take to the water today. Saw Tony spool up for his last ride out only to be rejected by the third sail-vent-making wave. The couple from the Bay area were ripping the `hate` (again) after everyone else left the water.

S8 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2019 June 18 )

Silly. Evening glass off enjoyed by Yohann, Rhonda, Michael, Johnny, Jesse, Peter K, Luke, and myself. Yohann was killing it. Saw Tsawwasen’s gear cartwheel on the beach before he launched. As I carried my gear to the water it was getting pressed down to the sand (not good). Peter mentioned it was `silly’. My first wave was fun then things got hectic. One forced jump that I managed to hold together and a wave for each ride in (some larger than expected). The beach was alive with blowing sand, water vaporizing off footsteps, and rainbows from vapour. Spooled up on small gear (3.4/74). It was an experience!

Last edited by C36 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.