ISO Beginner Rig - Daggerboard

Windsurfing or related items for sale, free to a good home, wanted etc.
darkingkob
rookie
rookie

ISO Beginner Rig - Daggerboard

Post by darkingkob »

Looking for a beginner rig - pretty set on finding a center daggerboard fin style board to avoid water starts.

Need board (150L?), sail (5m freeride or slalom)/boom/mast/maststep

Thanks!
Attachments
BIC Techno example board.JPG
f2 example board.JPG
Gunsail freeride example sail.JPG
grantmac
superstar
superstar

Re: ISO Beginner Rig - Daggerboard

Post by grantmac »

You don't need a dagger board to uphaul. It just helps stay up wind.
darkingkob
rookie
rookie

Post by darkingkob »

@
grantmac wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:32 am You don't need a dagger board to uphaul. It just helps stay up wind.
For sure! I just don't want to uphaul from in the water. With a floating board if I have to drop the sail for some reason, I don't necessarily have to get soaked to get started again
grantmac
superstar
superstar

Post by grantmac »

darkingkob wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:09 pm @
grantmac wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:32 am You don't need a dagger board to uphaul. It just helps stay up wind.
For sure! I just don't want to uphaul from in the water. With a floating board if I have to drop the sail for some reason, I don't necessarily have to get soaked to get started again
A dagger board does not effect this, board volume does.
darkingkob
rookie
rookie

Post by darkingkob »

grantmac wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:02 pm
darkingkob wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:09 pm @
A dagger board does not effect this, board volume does.
True, I just don't see any daggerboards that sink so it felt like killing two birds with one stone in the description
KUS
local legend
local legend

Post by KUS »

150 is not a big board for uphauling and beginner learning and daggerboards are generally found on larger ones so you must be a lighter person. That’s good because slalom and freeride sails you are looking for are mostly fairly fragile monofilm so falling into them would damage them easily. Wavesails can take more abuse. As to not getting soaked unless you are drifting around a pond you WILL fall in .....that’s why it’s a WATERsport lol 😂
I have a used beginner boom, extension and bases as well as 5.0 wavesails if you are not looking for new.
Good luck
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
grantmac
superstar
superstar

Post by grantmac »

There are lots of old boards with dagger boards which will be so narrow you can barely uphaul them. Modern boards which generally don't have daggers are wider and easier to uphaul.

A better question would be where are you sailing, have you done any windsurfing before and what is your weight.
grantmac
superstar
superstar

Post by grantmac »

darkingkob
rookie
rookie

Post by darkingkob »

grantmac wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:14 am There are lots of old boards with dagger boards which will be so narrow you can barely uphaul them. Modern boards which generally don't have daggers are wider and easier to uphaul.

A better question would be where are you sailing, have you done any windsurfing before and what is your weight.
I have sailed in Cadboro Bay & Stewart Beach, but most of my experience is on Okanagan lake in the interior where falling in is much less chilly!
I am ~85 kgs.

I'm open to a new board for sure, even without a centerboard, but I do not want to buy a board I wouldn't use and I don't think I'm interested in learning to water start. I do well on top of the water, not in it!
darkingkob
rookie
rookie

Post by darkingkob »

grantmac wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:50 pm Not mine:
https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/boa/d/na ... 22382.html
This was perfect!! But was not available when I contacted them :(
grantmac
superstar
superstar

Post by grantmac »

Learning waterstarts is as much about safety as it is about saving energy, you can learn them in a day.