Dip Start

General discussions about wingfoiling: equipment, tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, pump safety.
smartang

Dip Start

Post by smartang »

Great example of what I've been calling a modified stinkbug. Dip start is the way to go. It works on all size boards. An athletic beginner should be able start winging on a neutral volume board with this technique.

I used to do the hop start, it takes a lot more effort and make sure you wear booties, my ankle bones still have nerve damage from that one.
grantmac

Re: Dip Start

Post by grantmac »

I think you need a pretty narrow board to accomplish that.
smartang

Post by smartang »

The hop start requires a more narrow board. I don't recommend it unless you're lean and flexible.

Narrow boards are the way to go anyway. But I do the dip start on my old 27" wide board just fine. And the dip is far more reliable, especially in lighter winds.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I can't effectively get my legs around even a 25", so I'd need something under 22" I think.
smartang

Post by smartang »

Yoga
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Ya my Frankenstein-level flexibility gets in the way. Maybe instead of having beers after RBFC, we can all do yoga on the concrete path there. Right guys? Guys...?
smartang

Post by smartang »

I guess I'm not one to talk, just tore my hip labrum trying to flat water sup foil. Gettin old, gettin old... I can say that my 21" wide board is super comfy to sit on, paddle and dip start.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

That is a great video, I've watched it through a few times now and learn something new each time. Not sure I've ever been 'athletic' and pretty sure the ship has sailed for ever managing the dip start, but I'd at least try it out now to see if I could use a small board. The third method using the centre handle is going to help me even on more floaty boards, controlling the nose with one hand and using the centre handle to get control in chop is for sure going to work. He also mentions using the centre handle for jibes, to maintain slight power through the transition. I have not tried the centre handle on my KT wing for that (and its been so long since wind.....!) but next time!