Search found 19 matches

by haidagwaiisurf
Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Twin Tip vs. Surfboard
Replies: 15
Views: 4825

Easiest wax remover is the ol' ladies hair dryer, stuff wipes off clean as new and you'll see the uv damage to the board that wasn't waxed, and nothing needs to touch your board.
by haidagwaiisurf
Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks Doods. The upwind is getting necessary as my wife is getting sick of picking my soggy ass up 15km down the beach in the middle of the day. I love the wave riding myself and have found my shortboard to really work, but I'm a bit of a kook still and the transitions are getting me downwind befor...
by haidagwaiisurf
Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Twin Tip vs. Surfboard

What is the best way to ride upwind? Twin tip or Surfboard? Is a strapped 5'4 fish better than unstrapped? Is a 9'0 longboard easier than a 6'1? Lots of variables with wind, waves, and skill, but interested to hear what the experts say.
by haidagwaiisurf
Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:20 am
Topic: Kiting in the Q Charlottes
Replies: 4
Views: 1511

Hey guys. Yup, you can certainly kite here in Haida Gwaii - The Charlottes. Our winter prevailing wind is South East and you're looking at some gusty 30+ knot wind. Best launch spots are a sandy rivermouth on the east side of the island. Expect big waves and short period swell. The north beach is wi...
by haidagwaiisurf
Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 am
Topic: Sayulita Bucerias Puerto Vallarta
Replies: 5
Views: 2033

Thanks y'all. Just back and it's very true that it is a fickle light wind spot. There were probably 3 out of 4 days that a 14 or 16m would have been awesome in the afternoon wind, but I didn't see a kite the whole time. Surf was on par for this time of year, but a big board and big kite would have d...
by haidagwaiisurf
Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am
Topic: Sayulita Bucerias Puerto Vallarta
Replies: 5
Views: 2033

Sayulita Bucerias Puerto Vallarta

Any Kite schools in the Nayarit area? Thanks again.
by haidagwaiisurf
Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Haida Gwaii Expression Session
Replies: 14
Views: 4417

Hey KUS, My buddy brought a 9' SUP, but told them before hand, and without charge! The flight is usually vacant that time of year. As for 4X4 rentals, you can get one, but they specifically write on the contract 'NO BEACH TRAVEL'. Which is due to the tide eating vehicles every year. National is up h...
by haidagwaiisurf
Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:17 am

Wintertime you can fly pacific coastal straight into Masset for $400 return out of Van, and a little more out of Vic. No issues with baggage either. The spots you guys all mentioned are bang on. The issue is access. You need a 4X4 to get to the spit, but there are some cool spots in virtually all di...
by haidagwaiisurf
Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:52 am

Hi Guys and gals. Great to hear the feedback. Haida Gwaii is a very amazing place. Essentially there is east beach and north beach so you can have side/on with virtually every wind direction. My webpage is www.northbeachsurfshop.com I'm a small shop so don't expect bells and flaming logos or anythin...
by haidagwaiisurf
Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks guys. Be glad to show you the spots as we have 3 coasts to really launch/land at. As you've stated the wind blows all the time, sometimes we swear it blows north-southerly. Haida Gwaii is a beautiful spot for rippers and families and good spirit to boot. Summer is great with our prevaiing NW ...
by haidagwaiisurf
Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:10 pm

It's prevailing SE, and it can be strong. Ideally it would be a soft offshore of 15kt (which is side-onshore for east beach) but you can pretty much be guaranteed it will be blowing. Last year was 25kt clean SE with a 5 foot swell, the year before it was 5kt variable with 12 foot swell. I would bet ...
by haidagwaiisurf
Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:03 am

Haida Gwaii Expression Session

Howdy All, If you were looking for an excuse to visit Haida Gwaii (formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands) this is it. We're having a week long event including movies, free surf lessons, and a big party with prizes. It's been a surfing event in the past, but we're looking for smorgasboarders (kite, SU...
by haidagwaiisurf
Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:04 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Old as dirt gear
Replies: 3
Views: 1386

Thanks guys. Will check into this.
by haidagwaiisurf
Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Old as dirt gear
Replies: 3
Views: 1386

Old as dirt gear

I just got an old Mistral 'Take off' and can't find the step pin for it. You guys and gals know where I can find it, or at least a recommendation of what could be used as a reasonable hand-drawn facimile?
by haidagwaiisurf
Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:35 am
Topic: Varadero
Replies: 0
Views: 538

Varadero

Finally booked over Christmas to Varadero Cuba. Looks like a great expanse of beach, but is there really no shops? Nobody around is attractive, but sure would like some local knowledge. Any out there?