Search found 245 matches

by grantmac
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:07 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Windsurf Foiling Discussion
Replies: 146
Views: 61978

I'm currently looking at getting the new Starboard E-type wing and tail for my Supercruiser fuselage. It's higher aspect and 1300cm so kind of similar to the 1100 Freeride but more carvy. I was thinking about adapting a medium aspect Gong wing (they fit, I tried) but prices are similar and I'd rathe...
by grantmac
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:41 am

Fuselage length measurement is a total crapshoot trying to compare between brands unfortunately.

Foil pumping to sustain without a wing vs pumping to start winging I think need different requirements.
by grantmac
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 pm

Moving the fin box forward to use shorter fuselages was recently discussed on Seabreeze forums and basically its not ideal to have the leading edge of the foil mast ahead of the center of the back foot for windfoiling. Unsure how that relationship is for winging but you definitely have to stand furt...
by grantmac
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 am
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Old growth logging near Nitinaht
Replies: 11
Views: 5142

Totally agree, no reason to be cutting old growth or exporting logs with the wood market this hot.
by grantmac
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Long fuselages are pretty horrible to wing with in my experience. You lose a the pumping capability. I tried it with the long Supercruiser fuselage.

But you can get the short Slingshot fuse pretty cheap.
by grantmac
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:45 pm

You can get twin track top plates for tuttle masts, but I agree a double set of tracks would work perhaps even better.
by grantmac
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:03 am

They keep banging on about shims being less efficient without addressing that shims are a tuning tool used on every race foil made.

Also a lot of statements about being "stiffest on the market" without any measurements.

Like most Slingshot stuff it's long on promotion and short on facts.
by grantmac
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Bobson,

If you think the 1100 is a gybe machine you should try the Supercruiser 1700 some day, so easy even I can do it.
by grantmac
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:46 pm
Forum: Wingfoiling Discussion
Topic: Wingfoiling Progression
Replies: 272
Views: 83328

Speaking of tails, my 145L Dialer has a square board tail, big floatation around the foil, and I don't feel like I can pump the foil because of it. So narrower tail or lower volume maybe essential for lighter wind so you can get the foil pumping as well. Maybe for winging, definitely not for windfo...
by grantmac
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:44 pm
Topic: 7.0M
Replies: 8
Views: 4516

A 6.5/4.0 quiver of Slicks would be a hell of a nice setup. They are apparently very easy to keep out of the water.
by grantmac
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Foils
Replies: 15
Views: 6169

The large foils don't seem to benefit much from bigger sails.

Better idea is a more efficient foil and higher volume board.
by grantmac
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 pm
Topic: Foils
Replies: 15
Views: 6169

Hands close together, body low, mast upright, push forward with the toes.

Foiling efficiency is all about the pump. I was going in 12-14kits with a 5.2 today no problem.
by grantmac
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:19 am
Topic: Wingfoiling
Replies: 353
Views: 100998

The concave deck looks like it would make for a better platform riding strapless. I agree with ULR that the tail kick is not needed unless trying to take off on a wave. New Armstrong and Starboard stuff seems to be a bit longer and thinner but with the foil quite forward. Perhaps some waterline leng...
by grantmac
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 am
Topic: Wingfoiling
Replies: 353
Views: 100998

You can put me in the camp of thinking there isn't much going on with board shape. My inflatable pool toy seems to get going just fine. Although I do think having a narrower outline plus some chines to help break the surface tension might help but will also make for a more challenging board to balan...
by grantmac
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 pm
Topic: Input from all interested users please. ROW in waves
Replies: 26
Views: 10574

I can't do "a quick tack", few non expert levels windsurfers can and generally it'll take me twice the distance out in order to be back up to the peak. Meanwhile the kiters are just stacked there immobile. Am I supposed to simply barge through at speed? Hard to not feel jaded when my wave ...