Search found 138 matches

by GregK
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:38 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Kiting in Nanaimo
Replies: 38
Views: 18659

Thanks Kus for updating the Pipers wiki Kiteboarding Hazards sections, and being there to help after it happened. Gotta admit kiting accidents affect me deeply, it's a residual guilt thing from walking past one of the worst kite accidents in the Gorge just seconds before it happened. I thought "...
by GregK
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:16 am
Topic: Kiting in Nanaimo
Replies: 38
Views: 18659

Copied from KiteboardBC forum : Fri Oct 12 - Lost Red Airrush 7M Kite - Pipers Lagoon Postby mparkes » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 am My cousin lost his red 7m Airrush and bar in the late afternoon. It flew down from pipers lagoon heading towards the Nanaimo harbour. PM if found. Thanks http://kiteboardb...
by GregK
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:29 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: ** NEED 9mm Inflate Valve for Prodigy!!**
Replies: 2
Views: 2868

Just packing up a pair for Adrian, going Canada Post Expedited parcel service, which used to be next-day delivery when CPC did the island mail sorting in Victoria, now everything on the Island goes to Richmond first.
by GregK
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:51 am
Topic: Differences in OR Prodigy gen 3 vs 4 vs 5
Replies: 8
Views: 3679

(Todd correct me if I am wrong ) Gens 1 - 3 had the previous standard separate vinyl 11mm deflate and 9mm inflate valves. Gen 4 has a single Boston valve which requires an adapter on the end of your pump hose. Gens 5 & 6 have an adapterless speed inflate valve which connects directly to the end ...
by GregK
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 pm
Topic: New Zealand
Replies: 7
Views: 3984

New Pylmouth & Taranaki are the same place essentially.
by GregK
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 pm
Topic: New Zealand
Replies: 7
Views: 3984

+1 for Taranaki. Windsurfed there, biggest and longest period waves I've ever encountered. Should be heaps of awesome kite spots on both islands. 90-mile beach on the top of the North Island was spectacular, almost endless pure white sand gently-shelving beach, but no wind when I was there ( NZ summ...
by GregK
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:11 pm
Topic: Foilboard Compromise
Replies: 10
Views: 4888

And yes, El Norte - Greg is full of it too - full of good intent !!
by GregK
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 pm
Topic: Foilboard Compromise
Views: 4888

I'm working thru the beginner foiling stage with lots of touchdowns and time spent slogging on the surface. My Shinn El Stubbo foilboard ( convertable to a paipo style surfboard ) works really well for these situations, because it has nose scoop, flat tail rocker, and a decent amount of hull surface...
by GregK
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:40 pm
Forum: Special Events
Topic: OR Spring Party - April 21 at the Shack on Cadillac
Views: 8075

CKR will be there to answer any questions on repair possibilities of kites, lines, or drysuits.
by GregK
Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:14 pm
Topic: New OR Big Pump
Views: 4475

Re: Big Pump

I find the problem ... switching nozzles during pumping can be problematic with the older kites. ... could not push the deflate valve plug all the way in and properly seat it without pushing the whole valve past the grommet and into the leading edge. Don't inflate the entire kite thru the dump valv...
by GregK
Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:31 pm

If you want to use the new stiff hose on a interference-fit older 9mm inflate or 11mm dump valve, use the Velcro valve tie-down strap through the line holding all the hose end fitting together to secure the nozzle end of the hose to the kite. Then you can pump big strokes without the hose nozzle wig...
by GregK
Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Second tip : the hose on the new OR Tall Pump is a lot stiffer than the flimsy / thinner old-school pump hoses, and the flexing of this hose as you pump will often cause the nozzle to wiggle out of the valve into which it's been jammed. To keep the nozzle in place, use the Velcro plug strap on the k...
by GregK
Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:12 am

On an older kite with separate inflate and deflate valves, pumping the entire kite through the inflate is a lot of work from forcing the air through a smaller opening and past the 1-way valve. Here's a hint : put the small hose nozzle into the deflate valve and pump until the kite is just starting t...
by GregK
Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:44 am
Forum: Directions to Island Sailing Spots
Topic: Comox Area Sailing
Replies: 30
Views: 20826

Joostio wrote:The out side is for windsurfing anyways.
Sure windsurfers can launch and land on the outside of the Goose park beach ( beware the shore pound on higher tides ) but once out from the beach there's oodles of room for everyone.
by GregK
Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:30 pm
Forum: Directions to Island Sailing Spots
Topic: Comox Area Sailing
Replies: 30
Views: 20826

A reminder to KITERS visiting Goose Spit on a medium or low tide and opting to ride on the outside or Bayes Sound side of the spit : Do not launch or land your kite on the beach upwind of the spit road and power lines, because there's no downwind margin should the launch/land go sour. A kite wrapped...