BWD fundraiser, Paypal donations etc

What's new on the website
tomkerr

digital slide show etc...

Post by tomkerr »

Hey guys great plan, count me in... Grant Windoc and I had discussed this sort of thing in August... The venue may be the tricky part.
Mabye we need to convene a plennary session at the pub?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

options

Post by KUS »

As an option, I can see about using the basement of our church, has a kitchen with serving counter and open floorspace with tables to eat and trade gear; I can get a PPT projector and laptop to show photos from CD's.
There could be $2 to get in, sell some food (with some proceeds to church), then trade arond gear or auction off something that was donated.....like gear.
We'd have to contribute something to the church, a pub might do it for free like Smugglers near Caddy Bay and we could have brewskies then but they have no space for gear, hmmm.

Another option is a Thrifties tent and BBQ in my front yard and garage for gear sales but with the weather that could get ugly (and windy, nobody would come :D )
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

ok, this thing all of a sudden died, what happened?? Did I scare you mentioning my church? :lol: Ok, booze, drugs, rock and roll then.....(too old for the sex part :wink: )

C'mon, this ain't so hard, let's do this thing:

How about the Oak Bay Rec Center lounge, they have great food, nice beer on tap, a separate small lounge area and also a deck space for laying out used kite/sail stuff for a garage sale, 10% of all sales to the site, big screen are there for showing vids/pix. Another thought for venue: perhaps the Royal Yacht Club, more in tune with the marine theme?

Anyone to help me arrange it, anyone got an "in"?
Wish less, sail more!!

JL

Post by JL »

After looking @ the Pic. of 'Dave' groovin' @ Pumpin fest, I think we need a 'Funky Reggae Party !!!'...Is your church open to Rastafarians ?! P.S. Grant M. has a really entertaining D.V.D. shot with the 'Kite Kam'...
Thermals are good.
windwoman

Post by windwoman »

With all the users of this site I can't believe there is only a handful of people responding to these ideas. Maybe this needs to be presented under a different forum title........something that grabs everyone's attention.......ideas??
Royal Victoria Yacht Club would be a great venue......but unless it was presented as a 'technical' night would cost about 250$ even for members (that was the cost a couple of years ago for a family wedding) and we would need a member to sponser it............this could be arranged if it could somehow benefit the website...... Will find out more info.......
A reggae party sounds like fun too.......I've got a couple of great reggae cd's if the entertainment budget won't cover a live band!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I concur and if perhaps the buy/sell posts were not given similar topic standing but just added to the forum posts instead of headers to the "latest forum topics" we wouldn't need to "bump" this thing to keep it on top of the list......this is a critical item for this site 8)

I figure if you are in need of something in terms of gear, you always check some buy/sell posts you might have missed anyhow, so what's the harm? They are definitely the most frequently updated items...and you can always use the message board too if you are really desperate... :D
Last edited by KUS on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

bwd
Developer
Developer

Exclude buy/sell topics

Post by bwd »

KUS wrote:I concur and if perhaps the buy/sell posts were not given similar topic standing but just added to the forum posts instead of headers to the "latest forum topics" we wouldn't need to "bump" this thing to keep it on top of the list......this is a critical item for this site 8)
I could exclude the buy/sell posts from the "Latest Forum Topics" on the home page quite easily - I've been thinking of doing it and it does make sense. People would just have to check the Buy/Sell section every so often to see new posts. Should I do it?....(did it anyway Thanks!)
Last edited by bwd on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

That would work well. That way you would get better responses, especially if it is by date. That way you won't get people trying to bump it every time. Something like the classifieds on Coastal bc.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

As to the swap idea. A spring swap around April would probably be best.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
JL

Post by JL »

Great Idea KUS. The swap is a good idea as well, it could be listed in the buy/sell section.
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Prob a good idea to move off the buy&sell, though I'd have no problem with people posting a note to the message board to announce a new listing, or to 'bump' an old one - I often check these out just to keep an eye on current prices even if I'm not especially interested.

I think an evening get together with drinks, some videos and powerpointy slide shows would be great. Modest ticket price or by donation? Maybe have some time set aside for the serious/professional photographers to do presentations 10-15 min, and an 'open mike' thing the rest of the time? Kind of a substitute for Nitinat afternoon-burn-out-beer-on-the-beach and nighttime campfires. Not too close to New Years as I think we should repeat last year's fun shiver-together on/in/beside the water.
JL

Post by JL »

The 'Message board' is a great way to point out new items. Then the 'latest forum topics' isn't disturbed.
Thermals are good.