How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

How often do you check the wind forecast

Never
1%
Once a week
10%
Once a day
43%
At least 3 times a day
39%
Constantly hitting refresh on my browser!
7%

Total votes: 235

more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I check the models several times a day - I probably would do it less if I could figure out when it actually updated. Would cacheing an image of the wind model table without actually downloading the data everytime work? Or mirroring the data temporarily? So that BWD only accessed a few times a day instead of so much? That might keep the band width down on UW.

I think UW should review these posts keeping in mind the number of unique, well thought out responses here are a testament to how much the site is used and how deeply committed users are to finding an acceptable solution. I would have thought the BWD site and its many users (vry few of whom post) are exactly the kind of use UW would have wanted when it set up its web site. Please UW, reconsider or find an acceptable technical solution!
Last edited by more force 4 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

U of W, please keep the info stream alive for bigwavedave.ca! It is much needed, and depended on to help us all forecast our next outdoor adventure :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

:D some of us even check it while in Baja! just to see what the local conditions are and to see if the house is being blown away. so yes, it is important from the safety side of things.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

I know I certainly check the thing a lot! Mostly for sailing but even if I want to see if it's a good day for a back yard fire! Please don't take it away!
Why aren't YOU out there?
saulman

Post by saulman »

I check this at a minimum of daily often using my blackberry with Opera. More typically I check the UW forecast two or three times a day. When I have any flex to my schedule, I use it to plan my week.

The forecast from UW is the goldmine for me. The layout is perfect for windsports and for boating when we go. Without this, BWD would be good but not the stellar resource it is now.

When I go to work in Alberta, I use it during the week/weeks away to know when to check the webcams for action and to see what I have to look forward to on my return to the coast.

It also improves my marriage because it means I can plan a bit ahead to do family stuff on the down days instead of being always on call.

S
JAMES HIHO

U of W wind forcast

Post by JAMES HIHO »

I use the forcast every day, more on thursday/ friday sat and sunday
MY HEART BEATS , MY SOUL SOARS , I AM
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

The model is key to my decision to drive to a sailing location or not. It makes it so getting skunked almost doesn't happen anymore and therefore not wasting my free time and fuel. My free time is a lot less these days with a 16 month old. I need to plan my time much better and the model makes this possible.
Give'R
morewind

Post by morewind »

The BWD wind charts that Dave created may in fact be saving download bandwidth for UofW. Before these charts existed I would download the UofW models and look for wind. If we all were downloading the individual UofW pages to hunt for wind it would use a lot of internet bandwidth. But, now the BWD site does ONE download from UofW and distributes the info in chart form. Perhaps more economical for UofW?

In any case, the easy-to-read wind models are a huge help to plan time.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I use the forecast model everyday so I can plan ahead for my outings. The model is uncanny in accuracy and I would say that I would miss it significantly. It also helps me for safety reasons when I go boating. The information is used by a large umber of users through the BWD site because it is the most accessible and condensed set of weather information in the area. I think the University of Washington has done a great service to the Pacific Northwest and it would be a shame to cut off a large number of people that actually depend on it. And there are hundreds of us.
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I use it daily too, as said eariler, plan the week, know which days to beg the boss to have off. It is also used by kyakers and is a valued source for info and safety. I have been out of windsurfing for almost ten years and the biggest improvement to sailing in ten years is not the gear, it is the info availible on the net, weather info, cams ect... Thanks dave and U.W.
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

I use the model/forecast everyday as often as I brush my teeth, at least once a day and sometimes twice. Its my prime determination for weather or not I get all giddy.
like a duck to water
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

oh yeah, it severely affects how and when I do my work.
like a duck to water
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

its an important way to help the environment. You don't get all these guys and girls wasting fossil fuels to drive to the beach, only to be skunked.
like a duck to water
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

about 20 times a day....in particular after the 0900 and 2100 updates tho these may be related to BWD's alchemy....and because I am impatient, have wind withdrawal and have a crap computer I hit reload 8 million times when it doesn't come up right away. I also have Alzheimer's so I need to boost the memory banks as to what time the wind arrives and where, in which direction and which beach I should therefore drive to.

I usually make myself a note but on occasion I forget where i put it.... Also the model TABLE seems to update more than 2x per day. Unfortunately for all involved, the data and Environment Canada/NOAA has been extremely unreliable with the only accurate info being wind direction (and sometimes not even that....) as of late......

Thank god for the webcameras and fossil fuels.....but your model does save us from guessing most of the time :twisted: so please continue our access....pretty please :D
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

invaluable. saves gas because you don't need to drive around looking for wind. saves lives, because you don't head out into the chuck with your kids in the skiff if it is forecast to blow. the regular weather forecasts are not specific enough to give you any worthwhile information.