How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

How often do you check the wind forecast

Never
1%
Once a week
10%
Once a day
43%
At least 3 times a day
39%
Constantly hitting refresh on my browser!
7%

Total votes: 235

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Awesome! I'm sure BWD can count on your collective large group's continued small donation support too :wink: to keep this site up and the "service" running....unlike UW $1000/mo maybe another one of those wicked $5 donations /member/year :idea: would keep this train a rollin', eh?
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

As a frequent pleasure boater I check the site everytime I go out. It is an invaluable tool to keep me and my family safe when on the water.
eric

Post by eric »

I look at it twice daily.
Thanks for a great website!
pirate2b

Wind Forecast

Post by pirate2b »

We commute daily across Nanaimo Harbour in small boats. The wind forecast is of huge help safety wise. The day the trees blew down in Stanley Park I found myself surfing a 14' Livingston down 5'+ waves. I'd rather not do that again, hard on the undergarments.
TightTrouser

Wind Forecast

Post by TightTrouser »

Depending on time of year, I check once or twice a day. Thanks for the site!!
miltonberlesurf

wind model

Post by miltonberlesurf »

I use the model. It's excellent. BWDave makes it available. I want to continue using it and so do many others. It's very simple - let Dave have access to the model. LET DAVE HAVE ACCESS TO THE MODEL.
delicucumber

Post by delicucumber »

Another pleasure boater (sailor) and kayaker of the Salish Sea (Strait of Georgia) here, adding my name to the list of people who access this information frequently, and find it extremely helpful. I would not like it if I where no longer able to get these forecasts. Big ups to bigwavedave!
kitesick

wind model

Post by kitesick »

The wind forcasting is not only for our recreation. It also is used by our local fire departments to aid with marine incidents. Having an accurate prediction for marine winds and conditions allows for rescue services to prepare in advance. Your accuracy is appreciated.
roberthinchliffe

losing wind data acces

Post by roberthinchliffe »

This is a HUGE safety issue for me and many people I know. As an avid fisherman and fishing charter operator I depend on your wind forecasts to keep my passengers safe and comfortable. Here in Victoria at least 80% of whale watching companies also use your predictions. It would be a massive loss if you were unable to continue to give us these ultra accurate forecasts. Please do all you can to keep up your excellent work.

Great Expectations Fishing Charters
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

As impossible as it is ... it sure would be interesting to see how Dave's models derived from the U of W data .... have diverted dangerous situations for the people that make their living from ocean related activities. AND it would be very nice if all those that use these models showed their appreciation by contributing even a small donation to encourage the continuation of the BWD website. I know I would be lost without it 8) 8) Dave has added the paypal feature to make this easy for everyone :P
oldsalt

Wind Predictions

Post by oldsalt »

As an older sailor, I really appreciate being able to check out the wind predictions, before I set out, frequently singlehanded, into this beautiful mid-Island section of the Salish Sea / Straits. I have found that the forecasted wind strengths & directions are often 'bang on', so that I get much enjoyment out of being able to hank on the right fore-sail before I leave the jetty. [I also feel that I am reducing the risk of mis-adventure!] Thanks.
hukigirl

Post by hukigirl »

There is a small group of surfskiers in Nanaimo and we use your forecast daily. We paddle long narrow racing shells that are meant for doing offshore paddling in waves. The surfski group in Victoria also uses this forecast regularly.

Thanks on behalf of all the surfskiers, Kathleen
2REEL

Wind Model usage

Post by 2REEL »

I operate two charter boats with another guide in Sooke B.C. and use the wind model on your website 3 to 4 times a day, almost everyday, especially in the spring and summer months. There are 14 charter boats at our dock, and they all use Big Wave Dave. In Sooke there are probably 30 boats charter fishing for Salmon and Halibut during the summer, everyday these skippers are checking this site for accurate wind predictions. We think this is as important as checking our safety equipment on board the boats, we need to know what to expect on the water, and this is one of the few models that is that accurate.
Good Job Dave.
Ron.
Don_C

Post by Don_C »

I'm a kiter and a sailor. I check the site at least once a day. If a front is coming through I'll check for updates 2 or three times a day. Thank you Big Wave Dave and UofW
DC
melloello

Keep the model!

Post by melloello »

I use it a t least once a week for a variety of purposes, mostly to decide when/where to paddle and planning for expected conditions - hope it stays!