back loop tips

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

GoPros are great for learning! For backloops I like Glenn Haslbeck's videos. He mounts the camera on the back of the boom, which shows his body/head position well. Look at 2:30, 4:57, 7:35, 13:00 in this video, and check out his other videos.

[Vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/3562534[/Vimeo]
For a helmet-mounted view go to 2:30 (several loops in a row) 4:35 (small wave!), 4:55 and 5:10 of his Cape Sebastian video:
[Vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/6473009[/Vimeo]
He spots his landing early!
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

Personally, I think this looks like a nice tidy way to execute one's back loops. Well suited for the onshore conditions we get at Columbia. As the best resident back looper, I expect to see Windoc demonstrate the technique this winter.

[Vimeo]http://vimeo.com/26568924[/Vimeo]
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

2011 Big Winds Big Loop

Post by C36 »

Check this out - so many loops (forwards and backs) packed into a 2 minute video I am dizzy from watching! :shock: :roll: :D
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

progress (?) report No. 1

Post by C36 »

Glad to see the wind/waves have been treating the Island well!

Yesterday was the first fall session (for me) here in the Lower Mainland that set up for back looping. PORT jumping was favoured at Centennial. That’s right, no typo - back loop (attempt) port jumping on ENE at Centennial – who knew? For more details click here.

The only trouble was the waves (even the steep kickers) were only chest high, at best and the wind was not full-on so entry speed was a little light (or at least that is my storey and I am sticking to it :wink: ).

I tried to be selective (remembering Kus' advise) and launched about four (trying to remember my target for progress was more height and stalling at the apex). Four hits:

1. Good ramp choice + rotating on launch = flat 'frying pan' rotation + half rotation + side impact :oops:

2/3/4. Better ramp choice + stock jump take-off = more height + slow(er) apex + bailed just past the apex. :D :?

The reason for the bail :oops: on jump No. 2 was I was a little suprised at how high I was on the heals of No. 1 and I had not stalled the apex and was thinking this is going to over-rotate :shock: ! My butt hit the bottom upon plunging into the water from height (this just after mulling over the implications of sailing in the waves south of the boarder). Bails on 3 and 4 were with the new found understanding of how shallow the water was where I was jumping. :?

Progress? Not leaps forward (no pun intended - as this is the back loop thread), but 2/3/4 were all fun and confirmation in a small way of:

'good ramp' + stock jump take off = more height > stall apex to prep for landing

is on the right path. All comments welcome (as always).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

yes, forcing a rotation on take off or using a ramp off the wind always results in flat loop, moving forward rather than up and I cannot imagine how you'd ever land one...but I do them just for fun when there are no real ramps to remind myself to try things and enjoy the airtime.

If you overrotate, u can let go of the boom right at the end and you'll fall backwards but hit the water head first while attached to the board above you or roughly at same time as the gear. The gear will drift away from you. This is preferable to piling harshly into your gear....I have only done a couple of those and trust me on that point....it's nasty :?

The practice of bailing out however promotes chicken bail outs too early when you might have landed one....remembering you have to get mad and really want it!....and is also a bit rough on the neck and ankles. :oops: It should not however require much waterdepth as you spread out like a jellyfish thrown against a windshield.

As the alternative of course, and preferred, is when realizing you have over roated, push on the boom and go into a pushloop, float down tail first and land gracefully, smile for the camera and plane away.....like I have seen in many videos and dreamt about but have only managed once in utter surprise....and falling off the back of the board because of it :? I think I am at over 5000 attempts now, four stood up, two sail away, pretty lame :lol: we just don't get the ramps :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

KUS wrote:... If you overrotate, u can let go of the boom right at the end ...
Treat boom as jet-seat on over-rotation - got it.
KUS wrote:...The practice of bailing out however promotes chicken bail outs too early when you might have landed one...

I have crashed hundreds of back loop attempts - mostly 3/4 rotations entering on the side of my body and have had many bruised hips to prove it. :oops: But it is this new up/stall/down rotation that spooked me a litte (again) and in thinking about it today there was no stall at the apex, I likely still had more arch going than I should have and not enough up/stall/down - I'll be aiming for more stall/landing next time (even if it is a crash landing). :wink:
KUS wrote:... ...remembering you have to get mad and really want it!....and is also a bit rough on the neck and ankles. :oops: It should not however require much waterdepth as you spread out like a jellyfish thrown against a windshield.
Get mad. :evil: Real MAD. :twisted: Jelly fish on the windshield mad :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: - got it. :shock: :wink:

Thanks for the comments - appreciated as always!
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

Check out this video (2012 Sept 8 Plattsburgh on Lake Champlain, south of Monttreal, in upper New York state). 8)

Nice to see real-world Canadian sailors landing forwards and backs :D (in freshwater conditions no less – too bad it is just outside of Canada and south of the boarder :oops: ). :-)
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Looks like a good day at Piper's! I can't even remember what it feels like to backloop due to the lack of summer sailing on my part. Bring on the SEs! This is the winter for pushloops. There. I said it.
Poultry in motion
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

winddoctor wrote:This is the winter for pushloops. There. I said it.
There - I said it too. This is the winter that Windoc will get pushloops dialed.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

You don't want that little girl growing up thinking her Dad can't do push loops. Save her the embarassment of that my dad is better than your dad talk on the playground..."Sure my Dad (I call him Winddoc for some unknown reason to me) can do stalled endo forwards all day and I have even seen him sail away from back loops, but when it comes to push loops he is a total puss." : )-
Give'R
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

Check this one out - 4 for 4! :shock: 8) :D :oops:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Kid's an alien. Seriously.
Poultry in motion
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i found this video of Kauli today (now on HOT sails!) and thought id post it up. 2 things are interesting for me , one is just how little he moves around for a quick backloop and clean landing. secondly, that spot on the reef is exactly where i smashed up the nose of a naish waveboard trying that same loop. :lol:
http://vimeo.com/57993603[Vimeo]http:// ... m/57993603[/Vimeo]
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Pretty smooth. Hard to do without wind though.
Don't forget to bring a towel!