Royal Victoria Kite Race

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

AC

Kite Race

Post by AC »

Looking forward to our first kite Race which is on the 9 and 10th
of August, I hope that we will have enough people interested in taking part .
It looks like we have a great Crew and good support .
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Luke, I (Greg) and other kite-friendly volunteers will be on the beach keeping things organized and doing launching and landing. We've got a start / finish boat care of the Royal Vic YC and we'll have a couple of rescue seadoos too so you're not lonely. Also will be a photog on Clover and the main beach. Plus we'll have a tent and goodies (TBD). This is the first one so we'll give her a try and then modify based on your feedback. Ideally we'll get these going on a regular basis.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Can you tell us how many have signed up yet? and do you know what category or class people have chosen?
curses - foiled again!
buconero

Kite Race link

Post by buconero »

The link to download the registration form is not active...or is it just me?
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Most people are in the twin tip but we have a few using course boards.
buconero

kite race

Post by buconero »

Unfortunately, having the mandatory pre-race meeting set two days before the actual race will kill participation for many out-of-towners such as myself. Having a job to attend to, I can't find the time to go down to Vic from Parksville on Tue, then on Thursday, and again possibly on Friday - and I'm lucky to live in the Island. If you were hoping to attract racers from the Mainland, consider the time spent and cost of an extra ferry trip just to attend the meeting. Considering the late race start at 5.30, why not have pre-race meeting and registration in the early pm on the first race day, thus ensuring that this isn't just an event for locals, and kiters who happen to be on vacation in Victoria right now...
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

yes I will second that. :D
curses - foiled again!
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Hmmm - I hear you about the 2 day before thing. Tell you what, I'll talk to the other guys and see if we can do something down the the beach on the day as well. Just want to make sure we get as many out as possible. We're playing this by ear so thanks for your feedback. We're doing it later in the day as well so we can catch the local guys coming from work too.
Last edited by Snarfer on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Skywalker and Snarfer are the beach captains and will be able to accomadate people showing up on the beach at 5pm on the day. The only problem is jerseys are limited and I'm unaware of the status of where these are at!??!!
There will be some missing information obviously in a pre-race shpeell!! Best thing is to read and understand the Sailing Instructions which should be posted today or tomorrow. If you've never read the Racing Rules of Sailing its worth it to understand the right of way rules.
For example ..kiters use the right hand rule... if you're right hand is to weather /wind you are on Starboard, left to weather you're on Port. Windward / Leeward same tack and opposite tacks are a little trickier.. but still the same concept. Port tack gives way to starboard by ducking or tacking, leeward boat has rights over a boat to weather on the same tack, windward / leeward boats on opposite tack.. starboard has ROW. You cant change tack without giving room to another racer, you cant stop moving during the pre-start sequence, and always try to start on starboard to avoid having to duck the fleet or be that guy on the pin end that screws everyone and tangles kites! unless you've got major skills and speed and a huge opening dont start on port
Last edited by abetanzo on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

The flags are in the link above and we will be helping everyone at the beach to make sure you can remember what's important when you're out there. We recognize that much of this is new and we want to make it accessable as possible.
buconero

kite race

Post by buconero »

Yeahhh...not sure if I could retain 156 pages of race rules on a week's notice even if my life depended on it :D Guess I'll just stay out of everyone's way, content with bringing up the rear, collecting a participant's ribbon and enjoying being out on the water as part of the show
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Sections A.B.C and knowing the flags /starting sequences are all you need! we will be using numeral pennents 1 for pros and 2 for twin tip.

got it down to 5 pages! worth a skim through it!
BK

Post by BK »

A link to those 5 pages might be useful...
Thanks.