Royal Victoria Kite Race

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

skywalker

Kite Race Clinic

Post by skywalker »

A female kiter named Rainbow will be at cook st at 3:30 to do a pre race clinic if anyone feels up to it.

She will be at the bottom of the Cook st Stairs.

See you all then.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
skywalker

Entry list thus far

Post by skywalker »

Philip Montgomery 289 PRO
Kenny Cunningham 298 PRO
Eric Smethurst 297 PRO
Paul Underhill 296 PRO
Gray Baggins 17 (Orange on Blue) PRO
Rainbow Monds 36 (Orange on Blue) PRO

Todd Horn 290 TT
Andrew Kollmar 280 TT
Betty Anne 287 TT
Alicia LaRue 299 TT
Tony Lord 295 TT
Ryan B 286 TT
Todd MacSween 285 TT
Rueben Mitchel 283 TT
Kirk Stobbart 284 TT
Greg Innes 294 TT
Michael Hind 293 TT
Marty D 292 TT
Billie Kipling 291 TT

John Zimmerman TT
Kirstie Cadger TT
Colin Guy TT

Harold Grindl
Ned Debeck
Chris Helly Hansen
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
Kite Kook

Correction!!

Post by Kite Kook »

:!:

Hey there, just to be clear, I (Paul Underhill, 296) am TT, not pro!!

Thanks!

Paul

:shock: :shock:
Vive et Ama
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Will not make it this evening. Good luck all.
Phil.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Correction. Paul you are a SUPERSTAR ****
curses - foiled again!
BA

Post by BA »

Big thankyou's to Luke, Greg, RVYC-John Able, Ocean Rodeo-Richard, Strong Kiteboarding-Dwayne, Steve, Adrian, Emanuelle, another Steve, for making this event happen. Sorry if I missed anyone.
Hope it's just the first of an ongoing event!
8)
Ned

Post by Ned »

Agreed, thanks for all the hard work of everyone involved, it was a great start of hopefully big things to come. 2013 race series here we come!
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

<a href="/http://youtu.be/ygOXs0oohYU" target="_blank">RVYC and Ocean Rodeo Kiteboard Race 9Aug12 - on-water video from rescue boat helmet cam</a>
JL

Post by JL »

Thank you for the great video :P
Thermals are good.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

A few notes on the RVKiteRace... if you've never raced before there is a heap to learn for the starts.. the winds weren't great at all and made getting to the start and marks very difficult.
With sailboat racing and windsurfing, racers can get on someone's air and disturb their race by covering.. not really the case in kite racing and therefore that whole competitive area is lost. all the tactics of covering and engaging at marks is lots of learning too...
I'd like to see a shorter course and smaller fleets. kiteboarder cross was a good idea but wouldn't fit into the ISFA / CYA or Olympic etc.. racing rules of sailing guidelines. Also, If we really want to engage the audience we need loud speakers and some Irish dude who actually knows a thing or two about racing to provide commentary.
The racers do need to learn more about starts and the way to race, but for the first time out it was a lot of fun! by the third race everyone was almost getting it... we really need to slack the rules before getting serious and hopefully the winds will be better for the next race.
RVYC could use another boat or two if it gets super windy. that mark boat 'Gonzo' is only good in the flat waters of Oak Caddy Bay!
thats my two cents..
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

My 2 cents to improve the races next year:

The windward mark for twintips needs to be set more downwind on a beam reach or even lower if there is a current if the racers are to make it around in one tack. Also if there is light (superlight) wind then the start line needs to be out further than it was so that we don't tack into a dead zone trying to get in position for the start. We were squeezed between the shoreline bubble and the start where there was almost no wind to get upwind. I'm all for a Nitinaht or Gordon's course where there is a little more consistent wind. How about keeping the location decision open until 2 days prior when we have good ability to forecast since the Cook St location is best for viewers and accessibility.

Assuming the whole purpose of this exercise is to get many of the kiters interested in course racing, I suggest that people interested get race boards asap since learning to ride and tack one of these behemoth boards is like starting to kite all over again. I have heard of the possibility of rental-race boards in the future. And if we don't want out-of-towners coming and cleaning up every time we have to get on it (no disrespect to the very talented and great people Rainbow and Gray! )

Watching the Squamish Forum buy/sell is one place to find used boards:

http://kiteboardbc.com/phpBB3/viewforum ... b1369e9a03

I have had success on my Razor sailing quickly upwind so I don't think a whole new quiver of upwind race kites is necessary in the beginning...but no doubt you will soon need them if you get serious. 8)
curses - foiled again!
JL

Post by JL »

This Aussie training film might help: http://youtu.be/aBsLrxDF9fk
Thermals are good.
GnR

Post by GnR »

Great Time -thanks to everyone for all the hard work- it takes aton of effort to get races off that smoothly BIG THANKS!!

Had such a blast.

GnR