Drift from piper's to gabriola on October 27

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

A note about SPOT's in a marine application. IMHO they are nearly useless at the best of times, but completely useless in a situation like this fellow found himself in or worse.

Why you ask? SPOT's own guidelines give the transmission 20 minutes to be received (as in, they say hold the thing face up, in the clear, for up to 20 minutes for a transmission), if things had gotten critical quick, that 20 minutes is the difference between life or death. Worse, I use these things on a weekly basis for check-in's and in my experience that 20 minutes is optimistic, I've seen transmissions take an hour or more to relay, sometimes they fail altogether even when it says it has sent (for instance 50% of my SPOT's yesterday failed despite the device indicating it had been sent). Sometimes it's less than a minute and that's great, but you never seem to know, and it would suck to need it on a bad day. Case in point - last summer a SPOT transmission in an emergency situation in the Nanaimo Lakes area took 4 hours to be relayed to SAR.

I think part of the problem is the nature of SPOT being a private business, so unlike an EPIRB the transmission standards and reliability are based on dollars and cents, not lives lost. Also the transmission does not go directly to SAR agencies. They are great (not really) for checking in with wifey or an overzealous boss, but here is my humble recommendation, if you are going to buy something, skip the SPOT and go with something EPIRB based.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
eksrae

Post by eksrae »

how about a compact waterproof handheld vhf? standard horizon makes one HX300. cost is 130 bucks and charges from a usb as well
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

As has been cautioned before on this site by several people, waterproof VHF radios are almost all not capable of any impact water entry, only a quiet dunk. Even most sea kayaker s put their "waterproof" radios in a waterproof case. You can pick these up to give the waterproof protection, not impact damage per se, for $20-40. VHF does give the best chance of communicating your problem and getting a fast response. The one I recently bought is a bit too bulky to take windsurfing unfortunately. This is making me think seriously about changing that.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

this issue is not about calling for help :roll: I am hopeful that whoever I am sailing with does that....
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

Counting on any electronic devices in these circumstances seems pretty optimistic. Expecting to be rescued in these times of economic restraint by a government agency is as well. Being personally prepared and making sound judgements before going out is really all you have to work with. I think the key word here is "offshore". That should have been a red sign not to go. Look at your sailing site and ask yourself what will happen if you totally break down. The best scenario would result in simply being washed ashore downwind.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I would add that you should never go out relying on electronics, coast guard or others to save you as your rescue plan. Offshore wind is a killer. Aquaman I would have ditched the rig right away after the sail was torn and you realized you couldn't water start. That might have given you the ability to paddle at least side shore more efficiently?
curses - foiled again!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

@jim mckenzie, the wind at SP last Sunday had a significant offshore component. Didn't stop 30 or so windsurfers and kiters going out regardless. "Side-off" conditions are also best for wave-riding venues as almost everyone knows. I was very aware of the offshore when I had trouble waterstarting for a while (because I was so overpowered, another risk of partly offshore, it looks like less wind than it is, and its gusty); I was looking at not much downwind of me if I hadn't got going.

Kus, while you are right, the problem in this case wasn't a lack of being told (nor of government cutbacks, the resources were there but not used); but I also know that a 'Mayday' on 16 is going to raise a whole lot more instant concern than a telephone call from a third party, its inevitable given the number of false alarms. So the VHF would be bound to help. Maybe the training of the CG people should include giving increased weight if the call is from someone in the windsport community calling about one of their own in trouble, and not just a concerned dog-walker thinking the kite in the water automatically means big trouble.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

What would a kiter have done in this situation? Just curious. A windsurfer can at least sit on his board and wait out the drift, but if you tore your kite like he tore his sail you don't have that advantage?!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

right. there is no advantage, especially if your kite is just a wet bag. It may provide visibility however but likely not if it's totally deflated. then ditch it and swim with your board. So for kites:

1. Use kite to self rescue
2. if unable to self rescue use it for visibility,
3. if it provides no visibility then leave it behind and swim with your board if it provides flotation.
4. don't use up valuable time to save your bar and lines if it's offshore and you are moving away. Use your precious time wisely, but remain calm. pray.
curses - foiled again!
JL

Post by JL »

I ditched my kite this summer off Gordons (sailing alone) after having launch trouble with kelp over my lines. I swam in using my twin tip as floatation holding it under my chin. Self rescue lying on the kite & using it as a sail much easier. BUT if the wind is 'a little off shore' it may not help you get in while it will provide visibility & a sanctuary :?
Thermals are good.
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

Next time the wind dies, or you're waiting for it to fill in, go out on your board an see how far you can paddle. Try paddling against some wind. Or current. I have found it to be a fairly informative exercise. Generally, downwind is where you are going. If the wind dies then the current is where you are going. Swimming and paddling energy is best used wisely as you won't really last too long. Aquaman did very well indeed. Congrats.
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

My larger sails are newer but the subject was an Ezzy wave 4.5 mid to late nineties so obviously more prone to what happened. In hindsight I should have stayed closer to shore or not have gone out at all. I was not wearing a life vest as having a surfing background I kind of thought they were overkill but since a few days ago I have changed my mind. I can also see how the extra floatation would aid in waterstarting and body dragging with broken gear.
What kind of vest do you guys recommend that does not interfere with a waist harness?
As far as communication goes sounds like the way to go is a cell in WP case. I was thinking of making a velcro pocket on the harness or vest to store it with room for water wings and maybe something bright like a piece of fabric like KUS suggested.
Thanks for all the tips and support.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I doubt a life vest would have offered up much more than what it would have taken away in terms of mobility. Especially at the point where you ditched your rig and swam for it, the vest would have just slowed you down. I see those as potentially helping when no one is around if you KO yourself, but that is about it. You had a nice floaty board with you, so flotation in terms of survival was not an issue. The issue was your old sail breaking (maybe caused by UV damage making materials brittle), and then the ability to swim against the current. Neither one a vest would remedy. If you are thinking it will help with your waterstarts, I'd borrow one and try it out first, I bet you find the interference with your arms and waist harness does little to help anything. But a lot of that will probably depend on your harness, vest, and your body type. Just my opinion though.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

nanmoo wrote:I doubt a life vest would have offered up much more than what it would have taken away in terms of mobility. Especially at the point where you ditched your rig and swam for it, the vest would have just slowed you down.
I disagree Moo. I've worn this kind of vest:

http://www.bigwinds.com/wind/category/59/product/1737

for years and once swam for an hour to shore in one dragging equipment. Wouldn't sail without it.

I took it off mid- lake at Nitinat once and gave it to a woman who was swimming to shore after she ditched her equipment. She said it made all the difference.
I wish my TOW was longer!
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

I think that is the same vest the Eastside and WSF use. Or one very similar.