Newbie intro

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
winddude

Post by winddude »

Mrlandoncraven wrote:I ordered some roof towers for my landcruiser since it didn't come with factory roof rails. I plan on just bolting some steel rectangular material to them. I looked into some nice Van setups but will stick with an suv and pickup for now. Do you guys keep sails and booms in a vehicle or load them onto the roof?
If my gf is with me they go in the box, sometimes even the boards on the roof:(. If it's just me it's all in the van.
more force 4 wrote:I have a Kona board i could let you borrow too. I had it for sale once but its too grungy looking to get a descent price, and every time I sail it I can't believe how much fun it is especially in marginal wind (it would be an awesome Horne Lake board). It sails sub-planing well, and goes upwind with the daggerboard or just sinking the rail. But it also is surprisingly fun planing in the straps, it is just a bit like driving a Mack truck on the racetrack. I may be using it for standup paddling or light wind as therapy for my Achilles comeback, but you're welcome to try it for weekend or during the week if there is any wind here (Ross Bay maybe suitable, though its stupidly gusty and shift in there low to the water). Check out the one-design web page.
Kona's are great boards to learn the basics on and then fun to get you out sailing on the water during a warm and relaxing non-planing day!
Last edited by winddude on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

rvanderbyl wrote:My Thule roof box comfortably fits 3 sails and 2 booms but before that sails and booms were inside. Not sure about using steel rectangular material for roof racks onless it's coated with something like a set of Thule bars would be.
I'm thinking of putting foam pipe insulation around the bars for a buffer. Or cut up a pool noodle maybe...
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Both those foam options will only last for a couple of trips before wearing to paper thin. I'm not sure if camping mats are better. But a kayak or sup rack pad is what you need.
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

Perfect thanks for the info I will look into that and keep an eye out for a box to mount to them.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

pool noddles will last forever,
I have used them as well, I cut them so they slot over the bar, and then use short straps to hold them on (essential), watch for the foam to rotate due to wind resistance and bumps, so check whenever safe to pull over on the forestry roads (or interstate)
Mrnorthsouth
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Mrnorthsouth »

Well we had a bit of a surprise... we have an 18 month old girl and now have another baby on the way. So getting another hobby idea is hitting the back burner. I'll be in a better position in a few years to spend money and time on wind adventures but until then it's ft daddy mode. Thanks for all your advice and the warm welcome.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Make time for both. Great for your mental health and the rest of the families. When the youngest is a few months, they'll be ready for camping at Nitinat. I don't know of a better place for kids to bash around together and have unstructured fun in a natural and pretty safe environment. Even falling off a big log will teach them something.....
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

My two bits worth on the subject....My son was 3 weeks for his first camping trip just over 9 years ago. You definitely want your kids to grow up seeing you windsurf or kite or whatever you do. This will then be percieved as normal activity for parental units. Having a baby at the lake does not mean no sailing. It means you may meet other parents with similar interests. My wife has always worked weekends so the only way I can sail sometimes is to go camping. There is no age limit for camping. Kids adapt best when they do it right from the start. Get out there and live and have fun. I believe your kids will love you that much more for it!
Why aren't YOU out there?