fin type

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
lud

fin type

Post by lud »

does any one know how much difference it will make to switch from a pointer fin,or slolem fin to a freeride or wave slolem style .
the pointer works great at nitnat but when i sail in cook or pat or any local spot i seem too have control problems, too fast ,cant get into back strap catapult ... :shock:
my board is a f2 axis 95L , bic veloce 120L all pointer fins 14,13,15
any input will be apreciated
:wink:
playmore
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

HUGE :wink: Pointers basically for lake only I'd say....

A bump & jump 13" is about as big and minimal sweep as I would recommend for the big board and only if you happen to be running a 5.8-6.2m which is pretty big for Cook. Anything 11" or less is MUCHO better, wave or supercross, B&J. Most ride between 8 1/2-10" onshore waves to allow you to fight the current a bit better (or even fat/wide freestyle fins) esp if you are a heavier sailor.

Try moving your straps back and/or mastbase slightly backward (experiment), downhaul your sail :?: a fin won't cause you to catapult usually unless you try to carve waves with yer pointer 8)
Last edited by KUS on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Cptn Ahab is right. 13" is A LOT of fin. My biggest fin is 25 cm (10") freestyle/wave and I use it with 5.5 sail in marginal conditions, as wind picks up I switch to a smaller fin ( or board :wink: ). Use this link to calculate your fin size and subtract a cm or so. Also I wouldn't use pointer fins for anything but slalom or flat water speed blasting.
Cancer must die!
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

lud. You've left some information out that might help us. I sailed a Vivace 290 for many years, and although the Veloce is a little more freestyle oriented they are very similar boards. It was a great board with the stock pointer fin with 5.5 to 7.5 sails at Nitinat and many other places including the Gorge. However, in 5.0 winds it was virtually unsailable and would tail-walk madly. Perhaps you are just trying to sail the board outside its range. The Carve 121 I have now sails very comfortably on a 5.5 with the stock 38 cm (15") fin so I don't think the fin size is the real issue. With the 95L board (the same volumeas my Kombat) the stock freeride fin is 31cm or 12" and the wave fin is 25 cm or about 10" so as KUS and Russian Dood point out, the 13" is probably a little much for 5.0 and below. Depends on your weight too. My own volume is substantial ....
I wish my TOW was longer!
lud

fin style change

Post by lud »

thanks for input so far , it looks like i should be looking for a freeride fin 1
0-12" wil this make it easier to sail in 5.5-6.0??
I weigh 175 +wet suit .
does any one have a 10" freeride powerbox fin for sale? :wink: :roll:
playmore