Search found 145 matches

by KayakDoc
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:28 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Downwind foil with assist
Replies: 24
Views: 5192

Re: Downwind foil with assist

So a few questions!? Anyone building their own batteries? If so, what cell type and why? Here we go. I have built a number of batteries using 18650 cells for my DIY ebike, Argosy trailer break-away brake system and generally farting around with rechargeable stuff for BLDC motors and super obnoxious,...
by KayakDoc
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:46 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio is my stage name.
by KayakDoc
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:16 am

HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY! Some Wind is Good interaction! Hi AJ. I am in Galveston right now and I got up to watch the launch on line. If you were up it must have been an early rise! Lots to celebrate and some to maybe worry a little about. It was good to see the booster get all the way to separation. ...
by KayakDoc
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:24 am

Great questions. Thanks. Just for building foils, not boards and really just the front foil. I have sanded a lot of wings, boards, moulds and I think an aluminum skinned front foil could be a fast build with little post finish. I have been using a lot of VHB tape in the last year and it should be OK...
by KayakDoc
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:32 pm

Off topic…maybe. Space X received the OK to launch their Starship from Texas on Friday. 33 Raptor engines wrapped in a stainless steel tube. Heavy duty stuff. The link to foil with assist is in the choice of material. Stainless steel! It appears that Space X has moved away from carbon fiber booster ...
by KayakDoc
Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:24 pm

Hanging out on South Padre Island for a few days. No wind. Drove over to Space X to take a look at the next Starship vehicles (launch is mid-November). Asked Elon for a factory second for my downwind foil assist project. Here we are loading it on the roof of my BMW X5. Space X is a lot less secure t...
by KayakDoc
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:42 pm

Thanks. I may have to give him a shout. Anyone else have any Triton experience?
by KayakDoc
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:37 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Free Demo Session for Triton Monofoil
Replies: 1
Views: 783

Re: Free Demo Session for Triton Monofoil

May have to give him a shout. Jim Stringfellow will lend me his. I am interested in what other mono-foilers may have experienced as well. Anyone?
by KayakDoc
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:58 pm

Is anyone on this site using the Triton X-1 mono-wing (for winging) or the T-1 mono-wing (for kiting)? I saw the X-1 in Stevenson on the Gorge last month. I ask because when I first saw it I thought that the design was backwards. It looked to me as if the front of the wing had negative lift and the ...
by KayakDoc
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm

Hey Kenny, I will give you a shout. I remember you telling me about the Ross Bay to D’Arcy trip. I also tried to do Cook Street to Sidney but had to come ashore at Mount Doug Beach. We keep running into the “round the point” weather transitions. You and I aways had a challenge after Race Rocks. The ...
by KayakDoc
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:07 pm

A note about this project. The thing that ties this whole project together is a new design of hydrofoil. It is a super-cavitating foil capable of operating at sub cavitating speeds.The design and the prototypes exist. The rest of the stuff has already been built and used in other projects. The board...
by KayakDoc
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:20 am

Regarding repurposing kites. I was thinking about using my 19m race kite as an awning on a trailer I rebuilt;
Trailer awning.jpeg
by KayakDoc
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:53 am
Topic: Shark Attack
Replies: 1
Views: 846

Shark Attack

Tragic loss! I saw Felix a month ago in Hood River. I used to race against him at Chrissy Field in San Fransisco. Its eerie and weird thinking about this.

https://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ark+attack
by KayakDoc
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:58 am

Another piece! I have been thinking about how to get the weight of the solar cells down to a usable level, generate enough power and be incorporated onto the deck of the downwinder board. It looks like it might be available soon. I might be able to just print the damn thing onto a layer of fiberglas...
by KayakDoc
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:30 am

The first 60 seconds of this video demonstrates the pocket wing. Another piece of the downwind offshore project. Sam is planing to produce and sell them through his Maui company Five-0 WindSports.

https://forum.progressionproject.com/t/ ... ts/2469/31