Search found 263 matches

by Mattdog
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:19 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Sailors wanted for Port Alberni video shoot August 18
Replies: 12
Views: 3216

gives a whole new meaning to Survival Kiting.

Is there access where those lagoons are on the island?
by Mattdog
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:13 am
Forum: News
Topic: Columbia Beach Upgrades
Replies: 17
Views: 14214

Nile Creek would be awesome. There is a house on the beach plus a hydro station. We have seen excellent winds there too, with truer sideshore with onshore waves than CB where the wave/wind relationship is equivalent to a side-on wind. Thanks for reminding me KUS. I hope to get a handle on this spot ...
by Mattdog
Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:04 pm
Topic: Sailors wanted for Port Alberni video shoot August 18
Replies: 12
Views: 3216

As mentioned, where do you suggest we launch kites? China Creek is too far away ...

I doubt you would want to advertise it as a kitesurfing destination without a viable or "official" launching site figured out ...

Cheers
by Mattdog
Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 pm
Forum: News
Topic: Columbia Beach Upgrades
Replies: 17
Views: 14214

and thank you BWD for the enchiladas and Dos Equis today. It's pretty good stuff. Stay thirsty my friends
by Mattdog
Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:43 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Perfect all around board?
Replies: 4
Views: 1273

The larger Ouija is said to be really fab. wide enough for a bit of low wind. around 132-134 x 41 wide seems popular
by Mattdog
Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:22 pm
Topic: Port Alberni Opportunities -- an invitation for your input
Replies: 16
Views: 5231

I'd be on board if there was some potential for establishing a kitesurfing access on the south side. Keep us up to date. Maybe hold a meeting in Port or even Parksville would be more convenient for us since your main draw will be the Nanaimo/Parksville/Courtenay group of kitesurfers and windsurfers....
by Mattdog
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:35 am
Topic: Port Alberni-as a Windsurfing Destination
Replies: 29
Views: 6267

Would relish a good and safe kite launching spot.

KSD do you have any tips on nearby and decent launches? I tried the RV park way across on the north side (a good 40 min drive from Port) of the inlet but it is way to wind shadowed to be safe.

Cheers
by Mattdog
Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:50 am
Topic: Surf board
Replies: 3
Views: 1029

I tried a bunch of regular thrusters and ended up getting a kiteboard specific surf board that is a quad fin. I think the kiting ones have less rocker and are narrower. I found the thruster fin setup and big tail rocker on a surfboard unsuitable for kitesurfing. Should be able to find a used kite su...
by Mattdog
Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am
Topic: What is Grunt? / Flap around? and low end power?
Replies: 6
Views: 1319

Grunt means the "torque" you get with lower aspect (fat shape) kites. It pulls you towards the kite rather than in the direction you are travelling. Less grunty kites need more apparent wind to generate lift so you have to fly them around and get your board speed going faster. Grunty kites...
by Mattdog
Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:23 pm
Topic: New Tip for Drying Booties
Replies: 47
Views: 9081

Wasnt that thing in Star Wars ...
by Mattdog
Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:53 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: BWD Helmet Cam Videos
Replies: 78
Views: 22831

4J I'd be honored to take that cam for a spin at CB... :D
by Mattdog
Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Tell me about what windsurfing is like
Replies: 22
Views: 4385

Winddoc - very nice scribin' man. Are you a professional writer? Sure seems like it. If not there's another career waiting for you ... :D
by Mattdog
Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:53 pm
Topic: Vertical Axis Wind Turbines - VAWT
Replies: 18
Views: 3971

Operating at lower wind speeds is helpful but not a deal breaker. Here is why. Wind power is a cubic function of wind speed. Doubling the wind speed yields 8 times more power. So 4m/s wind provides 8 times less power than 8 m/s, and 2m/s wind provides 64 times less power than 8 m/s. This is why a hi...
by Mattdog
Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:41 am
Topic: Vertical Axis Wind Turbines - VAWT
Replies: 18
Views: 3971

Wind power is generally viable using a large scale farm is built in a very consistently windy location. For off-grid applications, less windy sites can be viable compared to using a diesel generator. The minimum average viable wind speed for a farm is 7 m/s or 25 km/hr. That can compete with 8.8 c/k...
by Mattdog
Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:53 am
Topic: comox rookiekiteboarding
Replies: 7
Views: 1793

No dif Matt. Island View in Victoria? That's further from you dude ... are you confused? If you're going to Vic anyway, drop in PArksville its on your way.

Comox spit is closer but tide'll prob be too low soon.