Port Alberni Opportunities -- an invitation for your input

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
flash

Port Alberni Opportunities -- an invitation for your input

Post by flash »

This is just one more call for anyone wishing to form a group representing the windsport community to have input regarding the Port Alberni Inlet.
Squamish has a Society ,perhaps something similar could be developed here?
Thanks ,
John

johndouglasportalberni.ca
Creating A New Geography For Our Future
JAMES HIHO

Support Port Alberni

Post by JAMES HIHO »

Hi John,
I am willing to give my support to forming a group.
Keep me posted .

James ( Nanaimo )
MY HEART BEATS , MY SOUL SOARS , I AM
duckbill

alberni

Post by duckbill »

ditto, I think a society would give a larger voice.
like a duck to water
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

I'd be on board if there was some potential for establishing a kitesurfing access on the south side.

Keep us up to date.

Maybe hold a meeting in Port or even Parksville would be more convenient for us since your main draw will be the Nanaimo/Parksville/Courtenay group of kitesurfers and windsurfers. There are a bunch of kiters in Courtenay area but little wind there during summer.

Cheers
Signature Block.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I'm interested too, but making meetings may be difficult for me.
Sandy Beach

Port Alberni's waterfront: Plywood Site and Canal Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

This hot topic from 2009 is continuing to evolve in Port Alberni, as the city leaders are split on decisions about future of city-owned Plywood Site, next to Canal Beach. Currently, municipal leaders are in negotiations to lease it to federal Port Authority for more heavy industry.

If you would like to see an expanded beach park for public access and use (next to Canal Beach), add your voice by clicking on the online poll.

<a href="/http://www.avtimes.net/" target="_blank">AVT online poll</a>

Today's Question is "Do you think the city should allow an industrial site next door to the public beach" . Scroll down to the left of page to vote. Deadline is 5pm today.

Here's a little more information.

<a href="/http://www.murkyview.com/archives/2014/ ... the-beach/" target="_blank">Letter to Council about the beach</a>

Town in Transition continues to evolve and most of the wind/water enthusiasts see diversification of the waterfront , with public access makes sense for future generations.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
winddude

Re: Port Alberni's waterfront: Plywood Site and Canal Beach

Post by winddude »

Sandy Beach wrote: If you would like to see an expanded beach park for public access and use (next to Canal Beach), add your voice by clicking on the online poll.

<a href="/http://www.avtimes.net/" target="_blank">AVT online poll</a>

Today's Question is "Do you think the city should allow an industrial site next door to the public beach" . Scroll down to the left of page to vote. Deadline is 5pm today.
I voted "No" only because there was not a, "Hell no, what are they stupid" option
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Tough one. Politically, the tax dollars are such a draw....hard to put a price on the intrinsic value of more parks and recreation. Because let's be honest, other than wind addicts, it is unlikely many visitors would go there, that park is not going to be an economic draw. But there's value in just promoting recreational opportunities for locals -- and frankly, just building some civic pride in PA being something more than a fading industrial town with some gas stations and big box outlets on the way to Tofino. Do you really need another fenced off lot with piled up industrial junk? How much does such a space really command in rent? And does it really need to be on the waterfront?

Kinda reminds me of Sooke when the Potholes property went up for sale. TLC immediately jumped onto it to make a park, but the mayor strenuously opposed it ... instead wanting to develop it, put in residential housing subdivisions and all kinds of wacky commercial ideas, for the added tax base. Maybe sensible to a cash strapped council, but the other 95% of locals considered it ludicrous. The civic pride part connects there too ... as the Potholes is one of the few positive things Sooke is known for.

Keep up the good fight Sandra, maybe one day PA will be known more as the place with the amazing summer sailing, rather than ........ [fill in the blank with all the bad stuff]
GregK

Post by GregK »

I see a ton of opportunity and possibilities for Canal Beach becoming an important recreational asset for Port Alberni.

A very relevant example is the Jericho Sailing Centre in Vancouver. In the mid-70's a group of UBC Laser sailor blocked the bulldozers slated to demolish the last derelict WW2 seaplane hangar that had become an awesome spot to launch Lasers and sail in English Bay. Vancouver Parks agreed to lease the site to a new non-profit society set up to manage the place, and the JSCA was born. Skip ahead 40 years and at no cost to the city, that Society has made huge upgrades to the building and site, and from it a whole host of naturally-powered watercraft enjoy the waters of English Bay, including a fleet of specialized sailboats for disabled sailors. Vancouver school kids take windsurfing and paddling lessons there for PE, the place offers water-access at bargain prices, like a community centre for water-sports, no white blazers or boat shoes or yacht club fees.

The spit at Squamish is another great example of what is possible. 25 years ago when I first arrived in Vancouver and headed up to the Squamish spit for a wind fix there was nothing really at the end of the dike road, just a little picket wind-fence and goat-trail over huge rip-rap boulders to get into the water. Now they have a beach, a turn-around, cement windbreak wall, 3 times the membership of the heyday on windsurfing in the mid-90's, 3 kite schools teaching lessons, ... Still lots of opportunity there for improvement, and it will happen, because the town of Squamish has realized recreation & tourism are their growth industries.

Canal Beach could become something really special, it just needs enough people to share the vision and commit to making it happen. Call me a dreamer, but I've been on the board of directors at JSCA, and a director with the Squamish Windsurfing Society and I've seen how ordinary people with a strong commitment can make things change. Won't happen over-night, but bit by bit.

There is a group of about 30 kiters in the Comox Valley, an informal collection currently, but also considering the path towards a formal society to represent our interests ( Goose Spit & other local sites ). I would expect many in our group would support a PA windsports society.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
GregK

Post by GregK »

juandesooka wrote:Tough one. ... Because let's be honest, other than wind addicts, it is unlikely many visitors would go there, that park is not going to be an economic draw.
John - check out the JSCA on a summer day in Vancouver, wind and watersports attract a pretty wide group of folks. Not for everyone, I agree, but it's not just windsports, it's kayakers, SUP, out-rigger paddles, all kinds of craft and users would enjoy water access in the morning and early afternoon when the inlet is calm.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
windsurf247

Canal Beach

Post by windsurf247 »

Good points Greg. Ironically, our mayor used to be a lifeguard at Jericho years ago. He is quite familiar with how integral the sailing centre is to the Vancouver waterfront and has been pushing for something like that here for years. Given the industrial history of this town, it has been a hard sell.....until recently.

The amount of recreational users on the inlet has greatly increased with the new beach. And Juan, it is waaay more than just wind addicts. We're actually in the minority! There's a plethora of users from dog walkers, families picnicing, kids playing, and beachcombers to older people just sitting, taking in the beautiful scenery. And of course it's now THE spot to launch kayaks, canoes, sup's, windsurfers and hopefully kites in the near future too.

It's a pretty special place and what makes it special, is that it's the ONLY place on the inlet (within the city) that you can actually access the water via a beach. It also offers scenery that most people in PA have never seen before because they've never been able to access the water. It's one of the only places you can watch the activities of a working harbour too. That in itself is a unique tourist draw.

In other waterfront communities, a beach park might not seem like a big deal, but here it's like opening a lemonade stand in the desert. People are flocking to it, and it's not even summer yet!

A place like this, if developed right, can be a huge draw. Whenever I travel to new places, the first place I want to go is the beach. I've driven down the main street in Ladysmith maybe once, but I've been to Transfer Beach tons of times. People want to be near the water. It's a zen like magnet.

With over a million people visiting Tofino every year, do you not think they'd be interested in a beach/recreation opportunities in PA if they knew it existed? They're not going to Tofino for shopping! I think a beach is a huge economic draw here.....if like I said, it's done right.
JL

Post by JL »

& Sandy 8) promoting it has to help :P
Thermals are good.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

if someone hasn't already done so, a log of average days of wind above 10, 15, 20, 25, and so on (:)) per month and year (aka iwindsurf monthly averages), coupled with links to other accessible outdoor activities could be useful in attracting individuals/families to the area that may otherwise not consider PA
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I don't think Jericho is a good comparison given its location (though it is one of my favourite places, by far the best place in Vancouver for a burger and a beer on a summer evening).

Squamish is a good comparison though. That town was considered an industrial backwoods armpit where Vancouverites on their way to Whistler could get gas and an egg mcmuffin. But it finally seems to be coming into its own as a nice place to be. The spit is a recreational spot carved out of an active industrial area. Because while the mountains and the Chief are very scenic, that Nexan facility directly across is anything but pretty.

Sounds quite a bit like PA. The water access is key to unlocking that recreational potential. Even if it is big industry next door and down wind, the water is warm and the wind is good. Get enough people having fun and talking about it as a nice place to be, and all of a sudden, like squamish, maybe more people will start to believe it.

You guys are doing a great job. Looking forward to sailing with you in July.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Chef Big D's for breakfast and Howe Sound Brewing make Squamish a beautiful place before and after a sail.
I wish my TOW was longer!