Search found 138 matches

by GregK
Wed May 21, 2014 11:27 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Port Alberni Opportunities -- an invitation for your input
Replies: 16
Views: 5207

I see a ton of opportunity and possibilities for Canal Beach becoming an important recreational asset for Port Alberni. A very relevant example is the Jericho Sailing Centre in Vancouver. In the mid-70's a group of UBC Laser sailor blocked the bulldozers slated to demolish the last derelict WW2 seap...
by GregK
Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:16 pm
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Your Favourite Harness
Replies: 17
Views: 4388

Greg - obviously fit and comfort are key, but here's another harness feature to consider : how much water the harness absorbs and holds after a dunk-in. IMO DaKine do the best job of ensuring their harnesses absorb little water. I had ( still have ) an OR Session-1 and it's is really bad for holding...
by GregK
Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:55 am
Topic: KITE REPAIR IN VICTORIA - WHERE TO GET REPAIRS?
Replies: 12
Views: 3258

Not very busy at all here in Comox right now.

I'm as close as the bus station ( kite in the bag to the Courtenay station ) or your local postal outlet packed in a box.
by GregK
Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 pm
Topic: USED TWINTIP WANTED FOR BEGINNER - WHAT SHOULD I GET?
Replies: 7
Views: 1822

Jim, whatever you decide to do, make a plan and follow it. Here's some ideas to consider when acquiring boards : - it's not just length, important design characteristics that affect how a board handles are a combination of a) width b) length c) rocker or amount of curve fore-aft and others ( outline...
by GregK
Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:06 pm
Topic: 13m 2013 North EVO
Replies: 14
Views: 3124

Hungry tigers out there now :shock: :o :cry:
by GregK
Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:57 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Why kiters have a bad rep
Replies: 41
Views: 9898

Any kiter considering jumping hard objects who doesn't get why it's so risky should watch these three videos : First Ruben Lenten in Tarifa jumping a narrow road - first two attempts he clears it easily - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkv-SksOIc Third attempt he sends it, hits a lull, and somehow ...
by GregK
Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:12 pm
Topic: Kite speed event
Replies: 13
Views: 2981

New 500m speed record unofficially announced on FB - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

56.62 knots almost a full knot higher than Rob Douglas' previous record. 60's getting closer !!
by GregK
Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:09 pm
Topic: CKR Stormtrooper lines
Replies: 1
Views: 857

Pictures of the Stormtrooper lines compared with standard 700 lb kite line can be found on the CKR Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/ComoxKiteRepair
by GregK
Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm
Topic: Kite Boarding at Kanaha
Replies: 7
Views: 2127

Read deeper, they are considering banning all watercraft ( kites, windsurfers, SUP, etc ) from most of the shoreline at Kanaha, and instead crammed watercraft users in to a tiny area. The swimmers would get the majority of the beach. Look at the petition, see who signed it recently : Jeff Henderson ...
by GregK
Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:07 pm
Topic: kite repair
Replies: 4
Views: 1470

For that location the loading would be high. If you are adamant about holding off on a stitched repair, then put Dacron sailtape on the underside and likely over the Dacron reinforcing for the strut attachment near the tear, and spinnaker tape on the top side. 3 x heavier repair, but that thicker la...
by GregK
Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm
Topic: kite repair
Replies: 4
Views: 1470

Depends where the tear is located in the kite canopy. Nearer the LE and the middle of the kite tend to have higher fabric tension than near the TE or wingtips. Go full width with the tape and two sides. Properly applied, it should hold long enough to the point where something else needs stitching an...
by GregK
Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:54 am
Topic: CKR Stormtrooper lines
Replies: 1
Views: 857

CKR Stormtrooper lines

Kiters gearing up to ride fall and winter heavy weather may want to consider a set of high-strength lines. I have a spool of Liros DC 500 Dyneema line, 2.05 mm diameter 500 daN test ( = 1,120 lbs-force ) and can make up custom line sets to your length and end-loop requirements. Ozone use this line o...
by GregK
Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:52 pm
Topic: trying to get in touch with Todd Sweeny
Replies: 2
Views: 1181

Todd's BWD name is Globetrotter I believe.
by GregK
Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:32 pm
Topic: Help keep kiting access at Goose Spit
Replies: 10
Views: 2711

I think Brendan and Dennis caught lots of yesterday's action on their GoPro.
by GregK
Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 am
Topic: Help keep kiting access at Goose Spit
Replies: 10
Views: 2711

There's a lot of neat stuff on the cadet base, a military-style obstacle course, a huge meeting / indoor drill ( marching ) hall, a sailing club, and more. But it's a ghost town most of the year. Never heard a round fired at the Goose firing range, whereas the CFB Comox range is popping rounds off a...