chinook euro pin base whats the verdict

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

chinook euro pin base whats the verdict

Post by downwind dave »

im thinking of picking up a new base this summer as my rubber uj is 2 years old and getting a bit wobbly though it still looks ok! theres some rust on the spring pin part though which concerns me.
anyway im wondering about the chinook euro system, its been out for a while now, is anyone using it? i care not about backward compatibility issues as i only rig one rig at a time.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I just changed to the chinook europin system. I've only been out a few times, but so far, so good. I really like the ease at which one can connect the board and rig. It seems like a superior design. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say, especially about this design's durability.

Oh, if you want to just invest in a mast base, and not an extension, you can get an adapter that converts a regular extension to accept the europin base. Bosun's had one of these the last time I was in there. This could also be handy if you have a few boards on the beach with different bases attached, and you want to swap rigs.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

any issues or comments about the tendon? im pretty used to my big rubber uj's.
thanks!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I was a bit worried about the durability of the skinny tendon too, but I liked the general design so much that I thought I'd try it out and see how it stands up. I'm lightweight and pretty easy on my gear, so I'm not too worried. I'm not really in a position to comment on long term durability or other issues since I've only just started to use this system. Like you, I'm interested in hearing from others with more experience with the Chinook europin base.

Here are some photos to compare the US rubber joint
...with the europin tendon
morewind

Post by morewind »

In my experience tendons are weaker than rubber u-joints. After breaking two tendons I moved back to rubber u-joints. I've heard that racers prefer tendons because they transmit more energy to the board.

But, if you're sailing in waves or 1km offshore at Gordos I think the rubber u-joint will be more reliable.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

The tendons I've used in the past have deteriorated quickly (Streamlined tendons, not Chinook) and they tend to hide critical wear behind the sections in which they are inserted. Not sure how Chinooks tendons differ though. The fat hourglass UJs apparently are more forgiving (as Morewind says) in the way they deform more than a tendon and act as a shock absorber, decreasing the chance of mast box or board damage. As long as you check the tendon a couple of times per season by taking it apart for wear inspection, it would be fine.
Poultry in motion
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

thanks u guys, i think it might just come down to what chris has in the shop. i could probably get by with a new spring pin and rubber UJ. still i am strangely drawn to the techy yet somewhat phallic euro pin.
Giles Thorp

Mast bases and universals

Post by Giles Thorp »

I concur with Windoc and Morewind. I had a tendon joint break. If ever an hourglass U-joint breaks, the webbing will likely enable you to return to shore. I note that the two photos show a one-screw base. If you are considering any wave riding, I would recommend using a two-bolt base. Less chance for slippage or breaking the mast track. Chinook makes a good one.
Wingnut

tendons

Post by Wingnut »

I've never owned a tendon base but I've seen some that have broken and they always break where the bolt goes thru them which you can't see unless you take them apart. At least the rubber unis are easy to inspect every time you rig as any deterioration is obvious. :)
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Good info. I found a relevant couple of threads on the Starboard Forum. They are a few years old, but bring up some good points. It seems that most of the bad experiences have been with older one-pin designs. The Chinook europin design seems much improved, as mentioned at the end of this thread http://2006preview.star-board.com/forum ... 0581654746

Also have a look at http://2006.star-board.com/Forum/starbu ... 5312155636

Still, there are benefits and drawbacks to each design. With both regular inspection and maintenance are crucial.

Thanks Giles for the 2 bolt base recommendation. At least the benefit there is obvious!

Anyone have specific experience with the Chinook europin base?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

thanks for the discussion link, 4J. Started reading, need a few days for that one tho :wink:
Concur with PMW & TrendDoc that the rubber uni is more forgiving but also the connection then feels sloppier. Used tendon in past and would prefer it if I could see corrosion/failure starting. On rubber unis sailed for quite a while with a cracked one, no probs. $10 for a uni rubber as I recall, Windance.

I broke one tendon and sold my other one due to age & distrust. :x I have only seen Chinook failures tho, others may be much better.

I do like the europin system tho, much nicer to dis & engage. As Giles points out, 2 Bolt, no question :!: own nothing but. Just one bleeding finger from cranking on that stupid single-bolt system or one stubbed toe is not worth it, never mind track strength factors or single bolts letting go in the middle of the Strait :roll: I've had one of the 2 bolts let go twice now and got back to beach/repair no probs 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

I've been using the Chinook mechanical universal joint bases for a long time. I like them best because of the zero deflection; the mast really is in the centre of the board. I have better control and can drive the power into the board with a feeling of accuracy. I used one for years until it was so sloppy with wear I got a new one but have never had one break. In case of a break (I've had two on rubber joints ages ago), I have a little loop of webbing bolted into the masttrack ahead of the mastbase. Tieing the extra downhaul line to the loop gets you back to shore no problem. Like I say, I've had to use it twice and it's very simple, very handy. I kinda think it should be a standard thing.
FUN
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I came across this thread searching for other things but figured I would add some recent input.

I have been sailing a tendon since April, because that is all they sell at Kanaha Kai on Maui (they say they have zero problems with them go figure?). However, based on the fact that it just looks small and weak I switched back to a Rubber U-joint after picking one up in HR last weekend. The tendon defintely has a better feel to it. It is noticealby more "direct" whereas the Rubber joint feels like a soiled diaper. I wouldn't have believed there was such a big difference had I not experienced it myself. I have to say it affected my sailing during manuvers where the sail is largely flapping in the breeze, ie. gybes. But like others have said, it just looks more robust, and in the spirit of not breaking down way offshore, I will learn to love it.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

thanks for the thread bump, made me realize i am still running the same wobbly UJ/rusty spring pin i was worried about 3 years ago. :lol: :lol:
dunkinguy

tendon vs hour glass

Post by dunkinguy »

Dave,

I've used Streamlined tendons for years and have either broken them or discovered that they were cracked where the screw goes through them and ready to break and had to replace them. I keep meaning to bight the bullet and get new plates/ u joints etc. Prob 2 bolt Chinook hour glass. I think all of the stuff needs to be replaced after 2 years whether tendon or hour glass. None of these things can stand up to that kind of hate.
Love The Hate!