Victoria Harbour Crossing

We want your feedback: comments, complaints and suggestions for the website

windsurf247

harbour crossing

Post by windsurf247 »

I'm stoked at the response this idea is getting. We really have a tight little community here. :D

I have a few more ideas to toss into the ring. For those of you who don't know, I teach windsurfing with a company called Coastal Watersports. We would be very interested in both participating in the crossing as well as helping in the organization of the event itself.

I'm also trying to think of a way to raise money through some sort of demo or clinic on the beach. We have a simulator we can set up to give people a hands on feel. Perhaps someone could do the same with a trainer kite. Ideally, they'd try it and want to take a lesson. We could then donate a % of the proceeds generated from those lessons towards the "Cook Cam".

I think an event like this would be an excellent opportunity to give both sports some exposure and recognition. The beach at Esquimalt is packed in the summer and Dallas Rd always has lots of onlookers. I think the more aspects of these sports we show, the more people will get stoked. I think it would awesome to have some sort of expression session either at Esquimalt or Cook St. Some racing would also be fun.

How about incorporating a swap meet of old unused gear. Everybody has a basement full of it. There are lots of beginners out there looking for inexpensive stuff to get started on. We could all unload our old gear and donate the proceeds to BWD.

I've never been to the Gorge but I'm sure they have some killer events. What do they do?? Lets do this up right. It could easily become an annual event.

The July 1st weekend might be a great time. There are loads of people on both beaches waiting to see the fireworks at night. We could have activities (demos, clinics, racing, BBQ etc) on the beach at Esquimalt in the afternoon, have the crossing at dinner time when the wind is better, and finish at Cook St with an evening freestyle session, just before the fireworks.

We'd be happy to look after the "activities" if this idea appeals to everyone. Any thoughts???

Rob
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Are there any preferred day of week or dates in July/August that would be better suited to this event?
Russian Dood

preffered day

Post by Russian Dood »

Sunny one, please
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

I think it best to choose two days for the event. Better chance of it actually happening. If you look at the statistics, July would be the best bet for kiting. As for windsurfing there were much fewer days. Now if only I could kite . . . . .
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

harbour crossing

Post by Bobson »

Hey, I've got an extra GO 150 now and some extra large sails 9.0 and 6.9 that people could buy/rent/borrow/steal if they need bigger gear to make it across if the wind is light. Hey BWD, I've got a HUGE 5.9 for you if you need something a bit bigger than you're used to...HA, just joking dude! I'm pumped about this, I'm in for whatever is needed. :shock:
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

What would we require as a minimum wind strenght for windsurfers? I know most of the local sailors largest sails are in the 5-6m range, so that has to be a factor.

Post by guest »

15 knots.