Good place to work part time?

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
Thrila

Good place to work part time?

Post by Thrila »

Well I'm going to Uvic first year this September 8) I'll be going kiteboarding a lot more, but gotta find a job to fund it and feed my car..

Where is a good place to work in Victoria (near campus would be awesome)? If it helps I've worked as a ski instructor, computer technician, and can do some machine shop metalwork :D

Since I won't be living in North Van that often, should I drive to Uvic? From what I hear parking on campus is not easy; is there an inexpensive parkade in that area or free parking?
Ned

Post by Ned »

Thrila,

welcome to Victoria (soon). UVic is great (I finished there last year) and you will surely have an excellent time of it.

Regarding your car, it will indeed be fairly pricey to keep it parked on campus I believe, although they may have different rates if you are living on campus. If you are living off campus and have a parking spot where you are staying I'd bring the car. You'll want it if you plan to go kiting - tough to walk to the beach with gear. I never owned a car (still don't!) for University. You will pay for a bus pass in your fees (about $65 for 4 months of bus pass, best deal in the universe, normally $75/month). Buses here are great most places, especially if you are going to the University, there is of course a big exchange there.

For work, you can probably manage on campus. If you are into computer stuff, apply at the campus computer labs. Main labs are in clearihue buildings, and basically all the jobs there are reserved for students. Failing that there are food/service jobs available on campus too, all for students as well. Check out the Student Union Building (SUB), there will be more job info there for sure.

Good luck in your studies and maybe we'll see you on the water this fall!