WANTED - WINDSURF INSTRUCTION

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
GWIND

YOU

Post by GWIND »

KUS I think you are valid. see line below
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

I'll bet the guys that hang out in the woods across the road find it entertaining too... :P
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

what guys are you referring to? the once that watch where we hide our keys or the other type?
Cancer must die!
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

A simple request for windsurfing instruction morfs into an exploration of perverted park pastimes...we're all doomed!
electra

CURTIS HAWK

Post by electra »

Thanks for all your useful replies . Based on your input it seems my CH
will pitch me into the Strait so many times I'm bound to drown.
Since this was a freebie and I hate to pay to play I'll take my chances.
If it's really a disaster I'll call Kevin in Parksville. BFN
espritofme

Post by espritofme »

Kevin in Parksville #250-951-9873 for lessons - he's on the beach until the end of Sept. Found that out after I made plans to go to Hood River for lessons. But it was Good times! Now I need some beginner gear.
140 or 150 GO to start - used would be nice.
You are all very entertaining! :oops:
Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
Cricket

Post by Cricket »

Hi espiritofme.. Hood River? Where's that? Do you have any info on who/how to contact for the lessons you took there?
Thanks! :)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hmm, there is that Google thing .... maybe if you "google" hood river AND windsurfing....you might get a couple or three hits I bet :idea: just a thought
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
espritofme

Post by espritofme »

I had a personal reference given to me - glad I went with the referral...well worth the trip.
Hoodriver - take I5 - 205? - 85 45 min East of Portland, Oregon
GOOGLE the route - to be safe. :)
warmwindynights

portland to HR

Post by warmwindynights »

I5 to 205 then 84 East
espritofme

Post by espritofme »

:oops:
espritofme

Post by espritofme »

While I'm here - I can get a complete windsurfer from the 80's - yes the good old days - feedback on the learing curve please.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Espritofme, refer back to the start of this thread RE: learning curve on 80s kit.

My advice, don't bother on the old stuff. Learn on the new, wide, stable, FUN gear. THEN the 80s stuff will be more fun for you in a sort of laughable, retro, "I can't believe I was going to learn on this piece of s#%$" novelty way. Unless, of course, you are into things like leather and self flagellation. Then the flogging you'll take will be super fun. :wink:
Poultry in motion
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Espritofme, if you really want retro you can get some of the good side of the old equipment but on modern gear with an alround modern lonboard like the Kona One or an RRD Longrider. These are true longboards, but are infinitely easier to sail than the old ones, due largely to their step tails. But of course they cost a lot without many being available used, whereas old stuff is free (or should be). I took a lot longer to learn than I should have largely because I stuck with 80s and early 90s (shortboard) gear till about 3 years ago. The new freeride stuff is SO much easier! And there is lots available used at a good price.
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

Hey Electra - Kevin in Parksville said he's instructing till next Sunday. :idea: Have you got a wet suit? Would you like to see if we can pick a day and take a joint lesson :?: I'll drag my Start board up somehow, and Kevin has nice new style narrower boards which you can rent. Bring your free board too to see what the difference is. We want either SE or NW wind in the 10 to 15 knot range. :idea: Or if there's a good 10 to 15 k SE, we could just take our own stuff to Departure Bay, maybe Jude and his gf would like to join us, plus :oops: see if we could get one of the local Nanaimo / Cedar "pro's" to come keep us safe :?: Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.