Rigging Tool

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
warmwindynights

Rigging Tool

Post by warmwindynights »

Does anyone know where I can purchase one of those cranks to help with the downhaul? I have seen a few people with them and they look like a great way to save your back?
Thanks in advance,
WWN
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

I bought mine from Excel watersports ( see their banner on the front page )
Cancer must die!
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

A 30 cm long piece of hockey stick with two holes spaced about 2 cm apart works well for downhauling. You can even smash a phillips and flat head drill bit in each end for screwing in fins and vent plugs.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

A Sherwood with two holes works fine but these winches are very nice. You can buy one at:

http://windsurfing-direct.com/USA/index.html

CHINOOK RIG WINCH in US or Euro Pin cup now $45.95

Or you can hang around the beach after I rig because I always leave stuff like this behind! :twisted:
I wish my TOW was longer!
Windsurfish

Winch

Post by Windsurfish »

Hey,

I lost one at Long beach Labourday weekend (Incinerator Rock Parking lot). If you can find the person who found it, maybe they will sell it to you - Or better, they could return it to me, to save my back... :)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

using an advantage rigging tool so you don't rip yer fingers (I do it all the time, whatever) sounds fine but just keep the back straight and leaning backward, bend the knees and push with the legs, I don't really get it but I have strong hands, buff forearms :roll: and am not too smart :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I like the idea of "smashing" the drill bits into the ends Steve....of the hockey stick that is.
Give'R
windsurf247

tool

Post by windsurf247 »

Just go to Craigslist and get yourself a rigging 'wench' and be done with it :wink:
Sandy Beach

rigging tool

Post by Sandy Beach »

ws247, is that what you call yourself :lol:
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

looks like the perfect thread for my classic rig tool pic

ssteve is right the my newest version has a flathead screw bit set into one end for a fin/pressure valve tool all in one. :D you can also stab small critters.
Windsurfish

DWD Tool use #3

Post by Windsurfish »

Hey Dave,

If you make it out of a full length hockey stick, with the pointy tip, it could be an emergency litter pickup stick as well?

LoL :lol: :lol: :lol:
bean

Post by bean »

my method: make a loop in the downhaul using a bowline (bunny comes out of the hole, around the tree and back down the hole) and wrap the loop around your wrist - no gear to loose and easy on the fingers. I also recommend the downhaul pulley if your sail doesn't have one.

Post by Geoffy »

Or - if your skin tears easily (like after being soaked in warm Maui salt water), use your harness hook with Bean's loop, again - no gear to lose - I now pass it thru the hook metal so it cannot pop off and cause you to whack your head on the RRD behind you, not that that's actually happened of course.
We windsurf - life must be good!
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Aww Downwind Dave, I was hoping for one of your Photoshop creations of a "Rigging Wench"!

I use a camcleat, which is okay, but I don't recommend it because it is often difficult to release the rope from the cleat. http://www.silentsports.com/store/produ ... rip-Small/

After seeing RD use the winch I'm convinced this is the 'easiest' (requires the least effort) way to get a taught downhaul. Gotta love leverage.

I have bought stuff from Windsurfing Direct with no problems (great service). However, I ordered online only because there are no shops that sell windsurfing gear where I am. Windance has also been good to me.
http://www.windance.com/default.asp?win ... em~CH_200C
http://windsurfing-direct.com/USA/index ... lang=en-us
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I used to always just grab a handy stick off the beach - but then one broke when at max tension, gave me a very nasty puncture/cut that almost wiped out a sailing weekend. Changed to a cam cleat (which I still use for small sails). I think they make two-handed versions of these for even better pull. (If you turn the jammed cleat back to front and jerk hard, it will release the rope; just be sure that you are angled to use the extension cleat when you do this or you'll loose your work!) Then my back gave occasional glimpses of what old age may bring and I bought a 7.5, followed by a winch. The winch gives sub-cm contol of downhaul too, sometimes difficult to get with a big sail and stiff mast. Rigging winches are great!

Rigging wenches are better, though!