Disassembling the kit - What to do? ( former Breakdown ... )

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
nanmoo

Disassembling the kit - What to do? ( former Breakdown ... )

Post by nanmoo »

Now that I finally got out on the water, I should figure out how to best break everything down and make sure I take care of it properly.

When I got home I pretty much just laid everything out and gave it a rinse, is that all that is required? should I not roll the sail up until it is dry? Is taking a shower in my wetsuit then peeling it off enough, or should I stick it in a tub of water for awhile?

Any help is always appreciated!

Thanks!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

first ya might wanna re-name this thread clean up or some such thing, break down is getting stuck somewhere against your plans 8)
There is tons of info on this site so rather than start threads on every one of your questions, maybe have a look around first. Some will answer themselves, such as the odor that emanates from your suit or the welts/rash that spring off yer butt and chest if you don't wash it with soap once in a while...yes, rinsing everything is a good idea and is usually enough depending on use. For your alu components and getting salt/sand off the monofilm of the sails....downside is unless you dry the sail properly it will mildew/rot so salt water IS good for something, it won't rot the sail just scratch it :wink:
Lots books and dvd's at the library, online u tube, asking questions when camping/at the beach etc.. Yes, local schools, lessons would be cool.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Nanmoo,

Don't worry too much about the rinsing part. In fact for sails it is better to just roll them up and let them drain. Like Kus said, saltwater will prevent mildew. Rinsing a sail with freshwater and putting it away wet will be a bad idea. For wetsuits, rinsing the suit is a good idea. You can buy special wetsuit soap to wash the suit once in a while. Windsurfing gear is pretty low maintenance, but inspecting high stress spots is always a good idea (UJ, boom head, boom ext, mast joint and boom connection area, sail cap, etc.)

If your board has a vent plug, keep it closed unless you are storing it or traveling with it in a plane or are in very high temps (over 25 degrees Celsius). Some sailors open and close their vents after and before every session (even in winter) which is fine if you ALWAYS remember to shut the valve before sailing. Problem is, the O ring can get squashed over time and leak. Check your O ring twice a season. I keep mine closed almost all year, except for the Gorge where it gets very hot.

Finally, check out the "links" section on this site where you can happily waste lots of time on other windsurfing sites for info on technique, gear, videos, etc.) Welcome to the wind addicts club!
Poultry in motion