RIGGING LINES PROPERLY

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Stammy

RIGGING LINES PROPERLY

Post by Stammy »

As an instructor, I just wanted to mention to people on this page an issue with the way some of us are rigging our lines. I am not trying to come down on any one person here, please understand that I'm just trying to make the beaches in our area a safer place. Perhaps, it has been stated on the site before but I saw the problem again this weekend and just wanted to bring the issue up again. I'm sure if you check with any of the other IKO instructors or experienced kiters in the area, they'll claim the same following IMPORTANT information:

ALWAYS string your lines DOWNWIND from your kite before you attach them.

There are 2 reasons why we should be doing this.

1)(The big reason why you should be doing it this way) The launcher (person holding your kite) is not standing in the power zone while you are walking into your launching position. If they are standing in the power zone, the kite is very hard to control. The launcher can lose the kite easily, and, if they do so, the kiter is now vulnerable as well. If the kite is let go-Bye,Bye kiter. This is very dangerous for everyone around.

However, should the kiter be walking from a downwind position, the launcher can hold the kite quite easily because there is no power in the kite. If they drop it they will be able to get the kite back because it is not powered up (usually just falls to the ground).

Also, the kiter will find the exact spot where they should stand to launch the kite because as soon as they walk into the wind window, they'll feel the kite take a bit of power.

2)By putting the lines downwind, Kiters can also do a better safety check that there lines aren't twisted. Simply lift the back lines with a finger and you can look at them going straight to the wingtips. As long as the front lines aren't crossing (sitting on top of the lifted lines), you are ready to walk into position.

The only note to remember now in regards to this strategy is that your bar is now upside down. Simply give it a half twist as you walk out to launching position and you're ready to go.

If anyone has any questions in this regard, please feel free to let me know, or (250) 885-7846. I just want to try and help make our beaches a safer place.
Last edited by Stammy on Tue May 19, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Thanks, John. Safety advice is always received well here.

There may be occasions when it is not really feasible to use this technique, however. For example, narrow, debris strewn beaches like Dallas Road or even Nitinat at times make this technique a large hassle/impossible for obvious reasons. It seems like a great way to launch on sandy, debris free, open beaches though.

Any thoughts?
Poultry in motion
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

I understand and I too have argued the point as well but have come to realize that, unless it is 100% necessary, it is just not worth the risk. Too often, accidents happen during the launching and landing of kites.

When I asked my examiner the same, he replied: "If there is enough room to string kites upwind, there is enough room to string kites downwind".
AC

Double Check

Post by AC »

Believe me it will save you a lot of time and effort if you double check your lines:)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Interesting topic, Stammy.
I wonder if it is an issue though.
I was taught to lay my lines out upwind (about 5 year ago).
Have always done it this way and admit have never even thought to try it downwind.
I wonder if this is coming from different kiting locations.
In LaVentana, out of hundreds of kiters throughout the season, perhaps a handful, lay their lines out downwind. At Nimpkish it would be near impossible.
In any case, I am going to give it a try. But, is changing from something you have done carefully many times for 5 years, worth the risk?

martin
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

Hey AC and Martin,

Valid comments. I spent some time managing a school in Cabarete and we were yellow flagged for a while by the IKO because we had an instructor who was accidently teaching his students the same. However, the instructor was my responsibility and ever since have tried to reiterate this practice. I just hope that we can get the message across to more kiters. We all no that new kiters will copy what they see on the beach too.

Martin, I was in the same boat, I didn't think it was an issue as well, however, I learned my lesson. The principle of the practice is safety first.

AC, I agree with you and I'm sure as a fellow instructor you have had moments of cringing on the beach when seeing this practice as well.

Cheers
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Crikey, i've only ever done them upwind or crosswind, just with a visual comparison to other kites on the beach. Didn't ever think to ask about that, when there were so many other questions bristling in my brain! Appreciate any and all helpful info tho, and AC I hope to be able to take advantage of your generous offer of help June 6 and 7 if we are able to be at the lake :)
JL

Post by JL »

I usually self launch. I lay my lines @ 180' to the wind . I check my lines. If things go wrong I can let go of the bar & have done so. 8) I'm intrigued by this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9PL9pD9Yig My method: Click on 'self launch your rise' http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3179
Thermals are good.
Seakelp

Post by Seakelp »

"The only note to remember now in regards to this strategy is that your bar is now upside down." That could be a problem if you forget. You don't have to put full tension in your line when you get ready to launch. Have fun
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

I've always set my lines downwind. It's just always made more sense to me. simpler. yes, turn the bar upside down, but when I go to attach my leash, it's easy because I just attach it, then flip the bar. This all seems to work pretty well. I usually only hook in when I see that the lines are all straight and everything is a go.

My question for people is more whether it's safer to launch from in the water towards the trees or from the beach towards the water.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
AC

Towards the water

Post by AC »

There is way to much un necessary movement in the kite when bringing it towards the trees and when someone who has never felt the power before
brings it up to fast they panic and always pull harder .
If everyone launches properly towards the water , all the new people will see how it is done, and will follow.
Sandy Beach

sketchy/limited launch area at Nitinat

Post by Sandy Beach »

I personally think, if something goes wrong, it's always better to get 'dragged' into the water, than the trees at Nitinat. From my limited experience, I prefer the launcher stand in, or edge of the water and kiter stand on the beach. Rocks at the edge of shore (for first few feet under the water) are super slippery, so be cautious for your launch there.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
JL

Post by JL »

Good plan Sandy 8)
Thermals are good.
Ned

Post by Ned »

As above, definitely launch with kite towards the water. The wind is often marginal near the beach, and obviously gets worse towards the trees. Considering I've landed there and basically had my kite fall out of the sky bringing it down to the lander, I can't see launching from the same place being a good idea. The further from the trees the better the wind gets.

As for the lines downwind, I did that when I first started, and then switched to upwind. Probably a combination of seeing almost everyone else do it that way, and walking into the wind is easier to let your lines out. That said, I'm going to make an effort to switch back - it's definitely nice and clean/visible to check this way.
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

Good to see that discussion has been sparked (intention of the original post).

JL, the video links are great, I'll be using those.

Lastly, I just hope that people go out and practice rigging the lines in this manner. I'm sure people will see that (in terms of safety) it is much more logical.

Should IKO examiners return to visit us in this neck of the woods again, they will be happy to see us practicing this simple skill.