RIGHT OF WAY AND SAFETY PROCEDURE ****

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

RIGHT OF WAY AND SAFETY PROCEDURE ****

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Hi folks,

Had a bit of scary experience tonight at Nitinaht beach which I am hoping to get some input on, and feedback about the safety aspect of it, so that all kiters can be safer.

I was kiting around 6pm. The wind was 15 knots max in the middle. I had been launched by another kiter upwind of the sauna. In the same place another kiter, call her X was also being launched. I went out did a couple of runs but found that the wind was too light and so started heading back. X is fairly new to kiting, trying to get going on the board.

She took a 5 clock line downwind from her launch spot, coming in around 10 pm for me. Before i knew it her kite was almost on mine. I was looking up wind a lot and trying to figure this out. Things got VERY close, kites almost colliding. I ditched mine. Fortunately the safety release worked very well. X crashed her kite between me and the shore. I was maybe 10 feet from the lines. X tells me she's going to relaunch. I say bad idea as I'm in the way. X launches anyways. The lines miss me luckily. X is now downwind of me and wants to cross over my lines, I say again, bad idea. X waits for me to drift down and goes upwind of me.

I get my kite back to shore safely and call it a day.

On shore, X says I guess it's a good idea to ditch the kite.

I say ya.

To me this incident should never have happened.

Who had right of way? Do traditional nautical rules of port vs. starboard apply?

Having had a couple of scary incidences involving gusts and getting thrown I am a little overly cognizant of safety. Is it just me, or was this really avoidable?
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
JL

Post by JL »

@ Nitinat the kiter heading in is on starboard tack & has the right of way ... This means holding your course ... However when there is room why crowd a newbie ? (not to imply this was the case you mentioned ) The biggest 'rule' in the collision regulations in my opinion is the one stating: ' Rule #2 Responsibility:
(a) Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case.
(b) In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger. ' ... Just like on the road, if we have an accident we've screwed up ! :roll: http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/1904/ Here is a link to the collision regs: http://www.stormy.ca/marine/colregs/rule7.htm#Rule8 But wait there is more: http://www.stormy.ca/marine/colregs/ Pay close attention to rule#12 sailing vessels & #13 & #17 (c)
Last edited by JL on Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thermals are good.
Sandy Beach

avoiding the dog fight in the sky

Post by Sandy Beach »

Kevin,

Crazy story...were there only two of you on that big lake???

I remember daily hundreds of kiters, including some crazy local hotshots, plus many tourists (all levels) at Kite Beach in Cabarete, DR and there were hardly ever ANY collisions.

One thing 'rule of thumb' that I remember about launching/landing, is...kite being launched has 'right of way' over kite landing...I learned that one off of Marie's 'My Session' DVD (Leading Edge Production) filmed partly at Nitinat.
So, if you are trying to get to shore, and see that a kite is being launched right where you want to land, you may need to take another tack out, to get out of the way and allow the kiter to get launched before coming in to the beach. Starboard tack at Nitinat (on a regular thermal day) would be coming in to shore, so, the starboard/port rules would apply more for kiters and windsurfers actually riding, not launching/landing.

Glad no one was hurt, or gear didn't get damaged in that incident.

I guess with these long days of spring, you could almost stay out on the water (if there's wind) until 10 pm with some daylight for another couple of weeks. Fun!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Stammy

Post by Stammy »

Hey Kevin,

It may not have been the case for you but in regards to your scenario, there is another right of way rule to keep in mind:

"Kiters on the water must give way to kiters entering and exiting the beach"

This is due to the fact that a riding kiter has much more mobility than a walking kiter. Also, although it is not a IKO right of way rule, in Cabarete riders are taught:

"Riding kiters must give way to body dragging kiters"

Again this has to due with the fact that riders are more mobile and can change direction more easily than body draggers. Hope this helps
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

forget all the rules of right of way.....I'm with JL, give newbies tons of room :!:

I remember almost killing camera man mike floating in the water and there was nothing at the time I could think of (in the heat of the moment) to do about it, being a totally out of control loser kiter and all :roll: :D
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

I know there's the port/starboard rule however I always try to play crossing situations especially at nitnat as the person upwind has the right of way seing as the downwind person can easily bear off downwind and get out of the way.
GWIND

Post by GWIND »

That's right Otis - the person down wind can't pinch the up wind sailor out just because the down wind sailor is on starboard tack. One is supposed to hold a straight line. If that makes sense.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
AC

Post by AC »

Just Giver:)
GWIND

Post by GWIND »

YA on second thought just giver - nothing I like better than to see a bunch of kiters with their lines all tangled up and drifting down wind.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
JL

Post by JL »

Its all part of the IKO :?:
Thermals are good.
AC

lol

Post by AC »

8)