Shawnigan Lake

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

TURTLE

Shawnigan Lake

Post by TURTLE »

When there is enough wind at Shawnigan Lake it is generally gusty. This morning wasn't bad because it was good with an 8.0 and a Go board. This afternoon about 4 ish I had another run at it. Between the gusts I was planing on the 8.0 and a Go board. I was over powered for the gusts in this second session. By about 5 ish the wind started to come from two directions. With powerful gusts and the unpredictable nature of the direction of the gusts it was a lot of work after 5pm.

Still I had two good sessions today at Shawnigan which also works on a westerly and isn't quite so far for us Cobble Hillites (a bit upislanders). It is closer to us than Pat Bay although likely not as good.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

I have also heard that people sail cowichan bay as well, which is not too far away either
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
TURTLE

Post by TURTLE »

Shawnigan works on a west
Sherry point and Mill Bay work on an east (same as Island view)

It looks like Cowichan bay works on a South which doesn't happen very often.

None of these locations have the same strength of wind as the "open" ocean locations, although they are convienent when one is short on time (or gas money).

Turtle