David Suzuki - Nature Challange

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I thought there was something fishy about that British documentary (The Great Global Warming Swindle) that argues that recent climate change has little to do human-produced CO2. If you have seen the rather persuading film (there is a link to it in a previous post), have a look at this:

‘The Great Global Warming Swindle’: Misrepresentations of scientific evidence and researchers’ interpretations. http://www.climateofdenial.net/?q=node/3
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

August 10, 2007: "Today the Northern Hemisphere sea ice area broke the record for the lowest ice area in recorded history. The new record came a full month before the historic summer minimum typically occurs. There is still a month or more of melt likely this year. It is therefore almost certain that the previous 2005 record will be annihilated by the final 2007 annual minima closer to the end of this summer."

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/
I wish my TOW was longer!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, anyone changed their ways yet :?: Seriously :?:

I now ask for paper bags EVERY time I head to the beer or food store or don't take one at all, haven't managed to carry my own yet....Anyone buy small fruit lately? they come in those bomber plastic baskets now, amazing :x ....that plastic MUST be reduced or cut out and everybody must contribute. Man, everything under the sun is wrapped in or made of the stuff. Makes me feel bad getting new sails :?

BUT my hugest pet peeve: if you are still buying water in plastic bottles in OUR country, you should be ashamed :x :x And those companies giving away the crap water bottles with their logo on them, wow :? what does THAT say about your awareness..

I spent $2000 making my motorhome more efficient but it still sucks plenty :roll: picked up a new used bike so I would ride more, sold my full size van. A Smart, Prius or Honda Fit is the kid's car in one year!

I recycle EVERYTHING I possibly can, even the plastic closure snaps on bread bags or labels from cans, receipts, plastic wrap..... knowing that plastic can only be recycled once, at what, .5% of the total? Wonder about that $2500 car the Indians will market....man, totally disposable

I only buy beer in bottles, return every last one and only support local (in town :!: :!: ) breweries. Phillips, people, excellent stuff and local, Island brews too. Wine from the Cobble Hill area.....no transportation issues/costs/exhaust spewing across the country.

The latest kicker I noticed: A "ballon weight", a piece of concrete!!!! with who knows what contaminants in it, wrapped in shiny plastic foil to hold down helium filled balloons, imported from China :!: :!: :roll: :oops: :oops: R we nuts? they can actually make money shipping concrete in bags from the other half of the globe....cuz we buy it :idea: :idea:

I'm a hypocrite but I'm working on it......HOW ABOUT YOU :?:
Last edited by KUS on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I drive a Smart Car or Jetta TDI (3.5 & 5.0L/100km) Almost no emissions!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JL

Post by JL »

Every avoided round trip to a windsurf/kite spot NOT taken because with our BWD technology we know the wind is inadequate saves fossil fuel & visits to fast food spots where waste is everywhere ... (I recycle lids & straws from take out cups & heat my house with the paper after which it is composted)... Thanks Dave. 8)
Thermals are good.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I use cloth bags every time I do my shopping, and I drink water from my house tap. For everything else I have my blue box. I do have a problem sometimes living in Victoria however. I'm from Winnipeg and when I moved out here in 97 I was appalled to find out that the city still dumps its sewage and storm runoff into the ocean. Like I said I grew up in Winnipeg, and ever since I can remember they had a water treatment plant, and that was back in the early 80's. I know the CRD is working out all the details, and the last I read online was that it had been put on hold again because they are unsure where they should put it. I would think that there are others on this website with the same concern as me, considering the ocean is aware playground I very rarely hear people talking about it, or am I wrong?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Ahh, Nosey, thats a pretty contentious topic you probably don't want to stir up! The science shows that the sewage is no harm in the ocean, as we are lucky to have such big tides/strong currents, and the alternative uses not only billions of tax dollars, but contributes massively to global warming by all the trucks and energy it requires. But others disagree just as strongly. Try the search function to read more!
Sculp

Post by Sculp »

I agree with MF4. In this case, Nature is doing a better, more efficient job than we could do. Cheaper and greener.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

but .....what r YOU YOU YOU !! doing differently? Never mind the CRD :roll: and their woes which is supported and opposed by a huge number of self serving interests....

I just lectured my daughter about putting a plastic lid on a foam pop container on BC ferries and supplementing it with a straw :idea: I agree JL, fast food MUST be avoided, not just for crap diet reasons, except perhaps in situations like Hortons who use cutlery and plates but they lose out in my book having drive-throughs where a large number of morons wait with their cars idling for 20 minutes to get an overpriced cup of coffee in a throw-away container, holder, lid, straw, spoon while running their heaters or air conditioners cuz the are too lazy to park and walk inside. :evil:

Yes, our drinking water is the best in the entire world. Why anyone would buy bug infested plastic containers by the flat filled with tap water and (after a while of storage) will drink plastic taste/contaminated stuff I will never understand.

I fix everything I can to reuse it. Most people claim I am cheap.....there is probably a lot of truth to that....however I also pride myself in keeping all the stuff I repair out of the landfill....at least for a little while of longer service. My son's crappy-made overpriced china flip flops included....

Doesn't anyone out there wish they could purchase more quality products, made in Canada or the US :?: in a green factory? I'd be willing to pay double the price for most items
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

I totally agree with most of all that. Well said Kus!!!
Why aren't YOU out there?
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

That would be fine more force 4 if that's all that went into awere toilets.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, that is a good point Nosey....all those that dump chemicals down the toilet etc, not sure the treatment plants would help that tho, hmm :?

tough world we live in,

Bought some crappy mayo just now cuz only one brand, the calorie wise crap, came in a glass jar, do you believe it?? A whole wall shelf full of mayo, only 5 jars in glass, rest plastic. So i go for the glass, pay for the dinner round and here I totally forget to ask for paper bags, grrr.... or the cloth one in the truck. Alzheimer's is the environment's foe as well it appears :evil: yes THIS DOES take some sincere effort, just gotta keep trying. My kids are inheriting a pile of crap as it is, don't need to add to it :idea:

I hope the revival of this thread makes one of you think about it again and change a small thing in your lives, have to start somewhere, just start
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yeh, Nosey, and the people that flush chemicals down the toilet are probably many of the same ones that sit in the Timmy's drive-throughs. Drive-throughs are an abomination on so many levels. The new Starbucks on my business street (Alpha) often has traffic backed up right onto Douglas now as people sit in their cars waiting to get a cup of coffee. :twisted: Kudos to the towns that have banned them.
duckbill

recycle

Post by duckbill »

recently i put together a load for the dump, but instead of driving fifteen minutes out of town, I drove 5 mins to a local recycle depot. By the time I sorted out the metal from the plastic etc. I had such a small amout left over for the landfill, I just took it back home and will store it until I enough to make the trip to the landfill. It was very little work to sort and I was surprised how much could be recycled. The recycle depot was FREE.
like a duck to water
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.