Typhoon/Hurricanes

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
rocdoc

Typhoon/Hurricanes

Post by rocdoc »

Anyone remember Typhoon Freda (October 12, 1962) or Hurricane Ogden (October 12, 1984). Currently Typhoon Melon off Japan expected to weaken, move across North Pacific as weak low and re-intensify off BC coast on October 12. Beware the winds of October 12.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yep, Typhoon Freda took a bunch of trees down in our yard, we lost about half the shingles on our roof, the neighbour's barn roof blew completely off, we were without power/running water for weeks. Rural Langley. It hit at night and I slept right through it, I was pretty surprised by the morning. I remember the shingles were great fun to throw long distances, they had 'frisbee' qualities (way before frisbee was invented). Christ I'm getting old!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

that is odd that those storms all hit oct 12.. however i can recall thanksgiving long weekends are typically good for a session or two. in '96 i sailed kook right after i finished the marathon. plus, nothing like a big turkey for post sesh. :D
Last edited by downwind dave on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Nice links JL. Interesting that the 1984 "hurricane" not mentioned despite the loss of 5 fishers off west coast. Inquiry into the disaster lead to recommendations for the creation of the the offshore weatherbouy network.

Hurricane Odgen-1984
Hurricane/typhoon/tropical storm Odgen; west coast, British Columbia; October 11 to 12, 1984; the storm caused the deaths of five fishermen when it rapidly and unexpectedly formed from the remnants of typhoon Odgen.
Source: International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction, Canadian National Report. Royal Society of Canada and the Canadian Academy of Engineering, 1994.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey Dave
I sailed a THanksgiving a few years ago and hid at Esquimalt Lagoon because I figured Cook would be too rough for my skills. It was offshore and super gusty, and I had the biggest slam catapault I've ever had. I had whiplash for several weeks. I think W247 was there that day, but he went further off shore where I dared not go but he had smoother wind out there (and was a lot more skilled than me).

So even 'regular' windy THanksgivings are unusually windy in my experience.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Stop hyping up the incoming storm or its going to fizzle on us and head north or south!!!

Come on Morley, the Frisbee was first marketed in 1957, you can't be THAT old!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_disc
Don't forget to bring a towel!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Was it really? Well, I wouldn't have been coordinated enough to throw properly (and can't now, for that matter!) but I would have been
4 years old, so yes, I could be that old, and we didn't see them in Canada till about 1967 I think. After the typhoon and about the same time as marijuana became widely available :wink:
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Interesting first hand experience of Typhoon Frieda MF4. I also read on one of JL's links that 70% of all houses in a NW Oregon town experiencd similiar damage from Freda. No mention of frisbee inspirations at the time!

Getting back to the topic, the extratropical remnants of Typhoon Melor are racing east-northeast from off Japan. They are expected to go east starting Friday evening generating at decent fetch of 40-45 kt west winds near the dateline on Saturday (10/10). This system is to dissipate as it passes over the dateline. But a sudden reform is projected just off Cape Mendocino CA on Tuesday as Melor hooks up with additional subtropical energy streaming off Japan. Right now the strongest winds are forecast on the Oregon coast but if it tracks further north that's something to monitor for us. (Condensed from Stormsurf).