Street Level Forecasts from Env. Canada

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

JL

Street Level Forecasts from Env. Canada

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

EC sent me an email and they would like some feedback from us on this new street/wave level forecasting tool. The forecast is generated using a model with a 1km resolution grid that is run twice a day. It could be useful for us since you can pick any point on land or water and get a windspeed/direction, temperature and cloud cover forecast for the next 19 hours. This could be a good addition to the UofW model data and it might even be more accurate (UofW uses a 4km/12km grid). The data is experimental and should be used with caution and is only available until March 31.

So try it out and fill in the feedback form with any suggestions. Was it useful? Could the display be better? Why would you use it? Would it improve safety for windsurf/kiteboarders? It would be interesting to have someone report about it's accuracy, if we ever get any wind to compare it too… :twisted:

Send some feedback:
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/mainmenu ... ack_e.html

Street Level Forecasts:
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/2010/slf/index_e.html

I'd like to be able to bookmark locations so you can re-check them easily, show wind speeds in knots, options to show a summary table instead of plots, and show an overlay of the data from the nearest weather station to check accuracy. I did a quick check for today at CB and it compares well to the UofW model, but with more detail.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I like the name.....kinda like the 'look out the window' forecast, I can see how it would be more accurate than current forecasts..... :? Here's hoping the street level forecast for Thursday holds :wink:
Sandy Beach

toque or cap

Post by Sandy Beach »

It's like google map with a thermometer for air temp. The more information people have to decide what thickness wetsuit to wear, the better, and yeah possibly safer to reduce the risk of exposure.

Very cool, even tho no windchill factor lately :x

Yes, EC, please keep the layers of info. and extend the deadline. And, Dave, if it's not too much work to bookmark, that's very handy to refresh the data.

I think new technology and improvements are always welcome.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction