vision correction surgery

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Sandy Beach

seeing the sharp things

Post by Sandy Beach »

I would think a swiss army knife would be far more useful than the exacto... more tools to utilize for the McGyver DIYers out there ie. tweezers, can opener, file, etc.
Crazy thread.
DWD, I hope you got your answer.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I could have sold 5 of those Lasik kits to my co workers today, but no one from the company returned my phone calls or emails?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

well i decided against the home kit in the end. i got worked over by Dr Nelson yesterday and i have to say things are looking pretty good already. im not allowed in the water for a couple weeks though so i predict some epic winds for all you guys! :D :cry:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I've been having that same problem all winter.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, we certainly haven't had an epic wind "problem" this winter, more like a NO WIND problem :x if there was ever a winter in my windsurfing memory, this one was the one to have surgery in :evil:
wishing you both a speedy recovery :!:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Come on Markus, the day after my surgery and the remainder of November was.... EPIC!!!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Maybe Nov. I super JR, two killer Klover with one pretty okay, one great Agate....is all I counted from November 1 to now. NOT a stellar winter by any stretch....usually January and Xmas rocks......and I don't recall missing any days in there.....today looks pretty good so far tho :twisted:
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

Hi folks -- I had laser surgery done starting in 1994; had four procedures on one eye, two on the other over two years. At that time they removed the outer cornea cover with the laser, then zapped the cornea. I used antibiotic eye drops for a few days, and wore long term soft contacts (acts like a bandage) till the outer surface was fully repaired. I had it done at London Place Eye Centre in New West. Dr. Johnston who did mine was since killed in a vehicle accident. I agree that you must use someone with lots and lots of successful experience. He was a pioneer...

My experience is probably very different from most. My eye glass prescription was very high (-10 and -8 plus high astigmatism). My night vision was failing previous to, and is now quite variable. Enough light around, and I can see fine at night; just two cars lights nearby and it's scarey; totally dark is also very good. I don't drive at night now. My vision, corrected for remaining astigmatism is better than before, and I don't mind these very light weight glasses compared to my previous ones. And I love it that I can see to swim now. But I also have a blind spot from the surgery, which is off to the side luckily. The cornea is too thin now to try to correct that blind spot. My vision is better in the summer than winter, as the best correction area was achieved in the smallest centre of my cornea.

The width of the surgery is probably greater than mine was. This width of surgery creates a bevel at the edge of the surgery. It's this bevel that causes night vision issues for me.

Would I do it again? Yes, but I'd wait a few years longer than I did.

Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

wow grammaJo you might have scared me off had i read that post a few weeks back. mine was a pretty simple correction, just a -3 and i have thick corneas that favored a simple flap n zap procedure. 3 days in im pretty much pain free, driving around etc. .gotta say im a fan. thats $3700 i cant put to a maui vacation though! :cry:
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

Hi: Your -3 is / was likely easy to correct. A good decision for you, and one you'll enjoy the benefits from, particularly out on the water. Be sure to keep your receipt for income tax medical deduction. :) I wanted to share what a high myopic experienced years ago, not scare you off; as I am aware that my procedures were in the experimental zone in 1994. I consider my results a huge success in spite of the difficulties. Good Luck with the final healing process ! and Congratulations on having the courage to do it ! Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.