Garbage at the Nitinaht

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Nimpkish-Bill

Post by Nimpkish-Bill »

No amount of complaining about the dog crap at Cook st makes it go away. You just have to bend over and pick it up yourself. Life is just like that sometimes. Move on.
GWIND

Negatives

Post by GWIND »

So, people can't change things. Hmmm I'm going to write that one down.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

This discussion has the feel of preachers preaching to the converted. I don't know everyone, but I do know a fair number of you and I'm pretty sure that all of you respect the character of Nitinat regardless of who is managing the place. Most all of the people who talk to one another on BWD understand how special all of the sailing spots out this way are and it seems to me that we all work to try to keep them that way.

There is a large transient population that passes through Nitinat each year and some of them probably don't get that they should pack it out or they don't respect the place enough to care about leaving crap behind. We just have to talk to them when we see it happening.

I was told that a guy was asking for bottles to be dropped off next to the bulletin board because he was raising money for homeless dogs in the Baja. Even though dogs crap, and I step in the crap occasionally, I don't think they should be homeless so I put my empties in the can - just beer and wine containers though. The rest I pack out.

AC, thanks for cleaning up. Much appreciated.

GWIND, there's more to me than just toe. I can be a heel sometimes too. Just ask Ali! Love your posts.

Nimpkish-Bill. You're a good man to pick up strange dog poo so the rest of us don't step in it. I owe you a beer.

Nanmoo, shouldn't you be loving up that fiance of yours? :D :D :D

KUS. Where did you go? I really miss your ranting. And good stories.
I wish my TOW was longer!
Jim

OPPORTUNITY TO EDUCATE NITINAHT USERS

Post by Jim »

I think there is a great oportunity to educate Nitinaht visitors. The washrooms are devoid of reading material. Brief notices about packing out garbage, rules of sailing etc could be posted inside the doors of the outhouses. . An 8.5 x 11 notice is easy to do on a computer and if laminated it would easily last a season.
EVERYBODY who goes there would see it at least 2 - 8 times per visit. that is a lot of exposures when you think about reaching people.
With a little planning next year could be a time to start with some promotion of the ethic we want people to adopt. Any volunteers?
Jim Richardson
Victoria BC
GWIND

STINKERS

Post by GWIND »

Who would want to be in those shiters for more than one or two seconds? Maybe whoever manages the campground could do something. Why do a lot of people put everything back on the paying guests ? Could someone answer that for me. Seriously
AC

"

Post by AC »

A little sawdust in the stalls would be nice.
GWIND

turlits

Post by GWIND »

MOO !
Vik

Post by Vik »

Had an awesome 3 days at Nitnaht this weekend... :D

With the fire ban lifted I took the opportunity to burn all the garbage I could find near my campsite. I can't speak for the rest of the campground, but the front row around the OR and Starboard flags was looking pretty good when we pulled out.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
GWIND

trash

Post by GWIND »

Good work Vik and everyone picking up trash, good example for the rest.
lassvegas

Post by lassvegas »

Is Nitinat a mirror of our larger community or is it something better?
Those of us that understand and love Nitinat know that it is something better and certainly more beautiful in its environs and people.
SO why the debate over garbage, and general uncleanliness and flagrant hogging of what should be available campsites. (I.E. campers left for weeks without any campers in them!!!!!)
From reading all the posts I think it is obvious that a few things need to happen.
1. The governing agency (Ministry of Forests) needs to be queried about what the contractor for the site is responsible for and informed whether the contract is being followed.
2. We the users need to respect the place. Lead by example, educate newbees in a helpful manner, and yes put some signs up in the outhouses.
3. Pick up some garbage that isn't yours, at the end of the day if that is what it takes, then let's do it to because if newbees arrive and there isn't garbage in the outhouses or outside then maybe they will think twice about leaving some of their's.

Nitinat is a magical place that let's us do the wind sports we love. Let's continue the dialogue this in itself might enlighten a few of those degenate litterers and lazy folk.
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Thought I would share this David Suzuki link on cigarette butts and their impact on the environment. As a former smoker, I know that I was once part of the problem.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/queen- ... he-planet/

I really appreciate all of the great discussion that has gone on here. I'm sure that more will follow prior to next season too.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
AC

ac

Post by AC »

i filled a 1 ton truck full of garbage off the beach , most of it being broken
lawn chairs and clothes.