kiteboarding accidents / safety tips

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found

Post by 240 »

Very good insight, nice post!! Hope some of the new guys showing up in these wild SE read and understand this post.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Kitesurfing Lessons - Jordan River???

Post by KUS »

Martyd: Just in case anybody else was going to try... JR is probably not the best place for lessons... in the cold weather... on a big kite with a 40 kn warning... and no rescue boat... - Saturday November 12, 7:28AM

Teabag: Felt somehow depressed that I "chiken out" yesterday. Knowing that someone is learning in these conditions on bigger waves makes me a chicken X 1000. FML. Going to have to buy a 8m inflatable. - Saturday November 12, 8:55AM

More Force 4: Teabag, feel like you lived to fight another day (and save up your pennies for some small gear)! I got there a little after it happened, but I believe the wannabe was dissuaded from even launching. That might well have saved his life. - Saturday November 12, 9:24AM

Cguygo: Chickens are alot smarter than people give them credit for Teabag - Saturday November 12, 9:50AM

240: I apologize for this long post in advance, there are a few things that need to be brought to ALL kiters attention. I have been told that the same person who thought cooking fish in the sauna was a good idea, now has tried to teach a beginner how to kite in winter, gale warning, gusty conditions, at Jordan River! This is an elite place to Sup, Surf, Kite and windsurf. Gaining the respect of the surfers has been hard enough as a kiter! YOU have no right to take this on your self to ruin all of our reputation by your stupid style of kiting and teaching. It is a complete embarrassment for the other proper IKO instructors who dictate safety to there students. If you think as an IKO instructor that this is the cool and safe way to teach kiting, you need a re-evaluation of your certification. At this speed, you will not be welcome anywhere, change your attitude! This sport is supposed to be fun, but now that winter is here and the winds are very unpredictable, safety comes first! Average kiters must slow down and listen to what others are telling you. This is not the time to start kiting, but definitely the time to watch the great action and learn from that. I did! Please respond to this as well as read past and current posts on the safety thread. - Saturday November 12, 10:24AM

Martyd: Well said 240! - Saturday November 12, 10:38AM

Kitesurferdale: Hmmm, assuming that "the person" refered to in 240's and Martyd's posts even frequents this site and reads what is going on I can only say...wow what are you thinking? Teabag....that student that went out under the instruction of this person probably had NO CLUE as to the danger they were in as they are just beginning. I was not there but from the accounts that have been relayed....serious misjudgements of conditions and saftey were made and thank what ever powers that be out there that no major repercussions only more agro and disrespect towards the person resposible for those serious misjudgements. - Saturday November 12, 3:48PM

Kus: well, apart from the sketchy launch that is JR w/ all its rocks and trees and current (penstock alarms were on!)....in their defense the wind was super light to start w/ no waves to speak of and they seemed to get a few good turns into Sewers in BEFORE the wind hit...I wasn't witness to any attempts to launch when the wind really cranked tho....there are better spots to learn surely when there is a gale warning, the current is doubled & water has ice floating in it ;) Head south, kiter wannabe, Texas, LV, DR await.... - Saturday November 12, 4:15PM
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Personally I am wary of beginner kiters in Juan de Fuca @ any time of year, low tide @ Gordons in the Summer on days when the wind is moderate perhaps ... Teaching @ J.R. with a f-cast of 45 knots is insane :?
Thermals are good.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

And this was my first kiteboard instructor. He was certified too (or maybe not according to the 'official' post a few pages down).

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 896282e9d0
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Since we're talking safety, saw this on the kiteboardbc forum, about failed launch in Kelowna. YIKES

http://kiteboardbc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 9b0d41f89c

For me, I kited for first time in Tsawwassen yesterday, on east side of the causeway. SW wind, so direct sideshore. High tide, so not a lot of room, back right against grassy hill leading to causeway. I was trying for a self launch with carabiner. First launch failed, not enough wind, lucky it wasn't gusty, as kite ended up on its back downwind. 2nd launch attempt wind had increased, quite gusty, so kite would at first behave, then try to fly itself. After first failure, I realized that the worst case scenario now would see the kite self launch as I ran to my bar, sweep right over the wind window, and then crash onto the causeway directly behind me ... causing mayhem in the traffic and very possibly killing someone. Hmm...rethought that, got some help before it went bad. Not reporting a kitemare, more one averted....2nd time lucky.

My kite buddy mentor says where I'm at is the most dangerous stage of kite learning ... skilled enough to feel confident, but over-confident from not having personally experienced how bad it can get.

Respect that power, kite safe everyone!
abetanzo

Gordons begineer day

Post by abetanzo »

Sunday the 22nd a group of newbies attempted Gordons! It looked to be on the light side but 10m were out. SWS rigged his 10m North and headed out but wasn't making progress upwind, and after a bad jybe ended up with a board to the face causing a gash and minor concussion. I walked downwind to assist with a catch and everything was good despite the blood on the kite and a sad guy not completing his jybe.
Next was Elliot crusing in a little close before dropping the kite. I was caught off gaurd still dealing with Steve, and Elliot made a motion to head further out but didnt and brought the kite overhead to the beach and ended up with it in the tree! It was probably placed in the best spot available with nothing ripping or tearing or popping! He was able to walk back out to dislodge it without a stratch on her! Lucky.
Next two others were making their way to the beach with kites in the water and I was able to assist grabbing kites and boards.
I wasn't surprised with the troubles but heard the winds were very holey and gusty in spots.. the beach bubble was in full affect!
I was able to launch and tried to focus on working the kite more with fluky winds but had troubles stuffing thick booties in tight straps so just drifted a little more than I wanted. Got up a few times but didnt get moving fast with a small 9m kite! Lost the board after an attempted start and was able to body drag to get back to the board well upwind of it! After retrieving the board I thought it would be best to head in and was able to drag in before dropping the kite nice and low the last 30 meters and well up wind of the beach area Steve was standing.
Lessons learned: If you're not confident staying up wind plan for a down winder, practice the things your not good at ie: self rescue, water relaunch, water starts on the goofy foot, retriving your board by body dragging, safely bringing your kite down for someone to catch, jybes on both sides. and overall be prepared for what might happen!
I hope not to affend the individuals mentioned but I'm sure they were happy nothing worse happened. The board to the face was pretty hardcore and the kite in the tree ended up a miracle with no tears or holes on a fairly new kite! The ocean isn't as forgiving as Nitinat and much more respect is needed when starting out.
I've never sailed my sailboat without alot of prep and visualization of what to do when things go bad and proper knowledge of forecasted winds, tides, and curernt conditions. I'm fairly confident now in over 20knots on Zig Zag but I had to start small.
Gordons could prove to be a decent begineers spot with the right approach. I'm planning on returning but only to work on the things I suck at and hopefully someone will join me to catch the kite!
Last edited by abetanzo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
JL

Post by JL »

Great post :!: That wasn't a 'Bubble' session just overcast puffy frontal wind. (not classic sun / thermal) When downwind avoid Otter point :!: & crab pots.
Last edited by JL on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
SmallWaveSteve

Re: Gordons begineer day

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

abetanzo wrote:The board to the face was pretty hardcore
I'm a pretty hardcore kind of guy I guess? [smilie=pimp.gif]

One other note: I think seaspecs could be a valuable piece of safety equipment, luckily due to my catlike reflexes I was able to duck enough to not take it on the nose or in the eye-hole, otherwise I could have been quite a bit bloodier. I think I'll be getting a lighter tint pair for those overcast days (Mine are maelstorms darkest tint, which is why I wasn't wearing them)

On the plus side it looks like I managed to get all the blood off the white LE of my kite :)
JL

Post by JL »

It gives your kite the 'Ninja' look :twisted:
Thermals are good.
OtLunch

Re: Gordons begineer day

Post by OtLunch »

SmallWaveSteve wrote:
abetanzo wrote:The board to the face was pretty hardcore
One other note: I think seaspecs could be a valuable piece of safety equipment, luckily due to my catlike reflexes I was able to duck enough to not take it on the nose or in the eye-hole, otherwise I could have been quite a bit bloodier. I think I'll be getting a lighter tint pair for those overcast days (Mine are maelstorms darkest tint, which is why I wasn't wearing them)
quote]

MartyD had some in various tints the other day at Cook St. I picked up a pair for $40. Just remember to spit on them and rinse them out beofre use to prevent foging up.
Obsessioned

Post by Obsessioned »

Top ten safety tips just released by IKO:

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2012/08/i ... or-kiters/
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Number 5 doesn't specifically say don't jump over a breakwater but I think the wording does cover it. :D

Number 5 be damned, the breakwater jump was hard core!
Give'R
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

great read... I must say by far the most important on the list is #9

the ROW rules in sailing are to protect everyone from kiters to windsurfers, catamarans to monohulls, and dingys to moths...

If you dont know what tack you're on or dont know who gives way in a crossing situation its unacceptable.
I've been cut off by many in my short kiting experience simply because they thought they had ROW coming out from the beach. With a sailing background I know who was in the wrong, but there are alot of unexperienced kiters, and I'm one of them!
If you are close to an obstacle like a beach... ya starboard tack should give room and equal opportunity to avoid each other... or when overlapping kites and buffer zones approaching an obstacle give room or tack early.
The same tack rules aren't used as much in kites but they cross over that buffer zone rule #7

Maybe these rules need to be added to the Nitinat Rules??
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Like riding a motorcycle, ROW rules only work if both parties fully understand them and agree. Otherwise you may be splattered on the pavement, though with legal ROW on your side.

I have to admit, I don't have an intuitive understanding yet of sailing ROW rules and I don't yet understand kite dynamics in a crowd. I can't see the patterns yet ... so my assumption is similar to learning to defensive driving on a motorcycle, assume everyone is going to screw you over, regardless of ROW, and try to be prepared in advance to deal with it when the worst happens.

I kind of work with the default assumption that until I know the skill level or intentions of the person coming at me, I will assume they have ROW and I'll try to squeeze in around them as best I can. I also try to adopt the boating rule of "show your intention early and stick to it, so they can respond in kind". As opposed to that silly dance of each adjusting back and forth until you crash in the middle.

I am not looking forward to navigating the crowd when I get to one of these packed gong show destinations. :?
JL

Post by JL »

& when meeting on opposite tacks on kites upwind kiter flys his kite high, downwind flies his/her kite low. 8)
Thermals are good.