paddle build

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

paddle build

Post by downwind dave »

thought I'd toss up a few pics from a paddle build i'm doing. It’s turning out pretty good so I thought I’d share. With new paddles going for 150-300 bucks it’s a good way to save some bucks and have fun too.

First thing I did was sketch out a blade pattern. You can design your own, or do what I did and just trace something off the net using corel. I transferred the shape to a piece of cardboard then cut it out.

the offset blade used on most standup paddles is a bit of a pain in the butt. My last build was a straight blade but this one is going more high tech. All I did was make a cut across the shaft at around 10 degrees then glued it back reversed.

A: Image
B: Image

Finally I got a bunch of wood scraps from the burn pile and glued em up. The main pieces are red cedar, the lighter stuff (it has a bit of stain on it) is some sort of hard ash or maple. I think using various bits of wood gives you a blade less likely to twist.. it certainly gives you cool looking racing stripes.

kaching!

and that's how you create.. the shortest standup paddle ever! . :lol:
more later.. 8)
Last edited by downwind dave on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Heres the next part of my paddle build, canadian style! :wink:

I used a hand plane and orbital sander to thin the blade down to around 5mm, A bit thicker in the middle.

then I shaped up a handle with a rasp

next, add one recycled Easton SE16 carbon hockey shaft and that’s pretty much it!

I still just need to finish up the blade with a little glass and epoxy. weight so far is 816g, at a cost of zero $.

I think it should hold together fine... i’ve never had a blade fall out playing hockey. It is just for lake paddling anyway. Feel of the rectangular shaft could be an issue but I’ll just have to see how it goes. On the plus side I can deal out a mean crosscheck if a situation calls for it. :evil: :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Nice! The hockey shaft really completes the DIY nature of it well. You gots to take dat thing to Maui!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

You could always put a 3/8" or smaller quarter round bit in the router and soften the edges a bit. Shave off more weight too!
Why aren't YOU out there?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Its a hollow carbon shaft, light and stiff but definitely not router-friendly! :lol: i did round my handle nicely, you should check it out :D
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Sorry! Wasn't paying attention! Distracted by sunshine and some wind. You've done a fine job with materials on hand. Nice work Dave!
Why aren't YOU out there?
eastside

Post by eastside »

Nice 8) Could even inspire a non handyman like the eastman to make one. Great to have part of your kit/gear that you made yourself. Eco-friendly to boot (unlike the rest of our gear)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

might wanna at least place a couple wooden dowels or biscuits on the edges of the glued seams of the paddle....a stick doesn't paddle so good :lol: nice going tho, love the hockey stick as always
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

the glue seams are actually super strong, i tested some of my scraps in a vise and the wood will fracture before the seam lets go. once the glass goes on things should be pretty bomber. in theory. we will see! 8)
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

Yup, Titebond 3 is where it's at. Finally a "waterproof" PVA that actually IS waterproof! Raise the roof.
Turn Down The Suck!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

cool, this thread got linked to standup zone, thanks to whoever did that! im not a member there but i do lurk a little. 8) :lol:

May 31 edit
soooo ...now that ive used the frankenpaddle for a month i feel i should post a couple conclusions. best points are it is pretty light at 900g all in and works reasonably well. plus it was cheap (free) except the hours i put into it (about 5 or 6) .8)
downside is the shaft has a side-to side flex that results in the blade oscillating when you torque on it hard. i think this is the obvious consequence of a shaft engineered to bend for slapshots not for loading in the perpendicular direction as a paddle - this is with a 100 flex rated shaft, almost as stiff a shaft as you can get.
as a result i think its a good paddle for short bursts of paddling as you would for a surf session, or a casual outing but it's not going to be the best tool for a long or hard tour. its also good for a cheap spare and as a conversation piece. :lol: