Nitinaht update!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Ski Pro, fire hazard was still posted as 'low' or 'moderate' (can't remember which but remarked on it being so low for late July when driving trhough Youbou on SUnday).

Camp was 100% full Saturday night with people squeezing into 'no parking' spots etc. so don't count on a half-empty campground anymore - I think everyone jumped on the first nice weekend.

Road is superb. Even a crap trailer wouldn't be overly stressed right now.
KC7777

Nitinat on long weekend

Post by KC7777 »

Hi Craig,

Are you heading up for the long weekend? I am coming Fri. am - Monday with my wife. Forcing her to sleep in the back of a pick-up. She is not impressed. Will see you up there!

PS - she needs to learn how to play the ukulele by Sept (to teach music to Grade 5's).....any uke experts going to be there?

Thanks,

Keith
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Kay Cee 4-7's;

I am going to head there on Sunday in all probability.

Got a new 5.5 to try.

Where is my boom??? :lol:

Mike
Last edited by mortontoemike on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish my TOW was longer!
skipro

Aug Long

Post by skipro »

Hey KC,
Yes I am heading out with a friend on the late ferry from HB on Friday, we are staying in Youbou Friday night, and heading to the lake first thing Sat morning.
If you are there fri can you keep an eye out for a spot for us? I will have a small car, and two tents. Looking to share a picnic table.
Can't wait to get the slotted fin out again, and to have a loop sesh (read crash sesh)

Only thing i know about the ukelele is the tuning, "my dog has fleas". The playing is mostly chords, learn 4-5 and your wife can probably play 90% of the songs out there.

weather is looking great, very very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Craig
skipro

option 2

Post by skipro »

Keith your wife may not mind the truck bed, if she knew that option #2 was on the gorge rack....at least they are padded. (hope you don't end up up there...

It will be great to have a frosty wobbly pop with you again.
kenlinde

other sites on Nitinat lake

Post by kenlinde »

I haven't explored much beyond the campground area but I am curious if there are any areas "up" the lake that are accessible for launching and sailing? thx Ken
seabilly

Post by seabilly »

You can head up to the river but launching is sketchy at best. I learned from there but my buddy launched every time....which didn't get me comfortable with launching at all. You can also swim your gear to the other side of the river and launch from there. Was safe last year but I went up that way last weekend and there wasn't much of a sand bar like there used to be. Check it out though. Wind is punchy too. I recommend launch up by Elevation and go from there or walk it up a bit for more of a downwinder.
steve-0

Bear in the camp

Post by steve-0 »

Was up at Nitinat Last Sunday-Wednesday and within an hour of arriving had a young 2 year old black bear claw through my tent at campsite #1 and lay the cooler out for a free buffet. I moved closer to the water that evening after the bear would not stay away and drove the dog mad.
The next family arriving had problems with the bear also on Monday.
Make sure you've got your food locked away super secure along the wooded side of the campground.
Its not aggressive towards people yet but dosent seem to mind getting close or barking dogs.
This ones got ninja skill! found the cooler knocked over in my SUV an hour after his first mission with my window cracked only a few inches. :shock:
Alexk

Post by Alexk »

Has the water temp warmed up a bit yet? I was there about a month ago and it still felt like cook st water temp to me... Does it actually get any warmer?
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

RookieRyan didnt need a wetsuit a few weeks ago. :lol: just a nice warm BWD tshirt
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

alex - I was in a shorty all last weekend, never even slightly cool - and I like being warm!
Alexk

Post by Alexk »

-- thats good news, will be nice to get out of a fullsuit for once.
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Pretty sweet Nat trip this year, despite blowing my foot apart on day 7. Ten days, windy for 8 of them despite a pretty poor forecast at the start. Light winds and 6.0-7.0 sailing last week, but this week ripped every day except Wednesday. Weather started to really change last Friday and seems to have finally settled into a more normal summer pattern, so hopefully plenty of good wind in the weeks ahead.

Store is reopened with ice, snacks, and a few basic supplies. Mostly a restaurant right now, with openings for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Forget the exact times. Wifi is secured now, but there is free net access inside as long as you buy something. Campground filling up this week so probably the usual chaos is well under way for the long weekend. The bear has definitely been getting more aggressive over the last week, lot's of folks having to fire off bangers or beat on pots. Bring bangers and spray. Seems to be a TP deficiency out there this year. Budget cuts. Bring your own.

Will probably be back for a couple days in August at some point... watching the action from shore.

G
waytogo

Bear at Nitnat

Post by waytogo »

The little bear was quite brazen when I was camping. Had a chat with conservation officer. If you have concerns let them know about it. They were quite worried when told that the bear was coming into campsites even with people and dogs present. Phone 1 877 952 7277 any time 24/7 if you are concerned.
emearg

the bear

Post by emearg »

I was up there last week, was in the site beside where the cooler got pulled from the tent (then we moved)...little guy had a nice feast on a steak and wanted more.

seems that the preparations for bears up there are less than some areas in cities that have bear problems.
People leave garbage out, empties out, BBQ's and stoves with food residue, food bins coolers etc...once the bear gets a taste of it he will keep on coming. We had him come by our site 3 or 4 times - he always ran off once you yelled at him but there were some sites down near the beach where there were more problems and they had to let off bear bangers to scare him.

Nitinat is in bear territory all food and garbage should be in as bear proof a location as possible - the vehicle - calling the conservation officer and reporting a problem bear will likely result in a dead bear - once he had that intial steak he was there to stay. The fact that he smelt that steak and went and ate it is not the bears fault and yet he is the one that is going to get shot.

perhaps it is time for proper bear proof food containers at the campsite....not a cheap option.