Dimensions for a land sailor

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

KC7777

Dimensions for a land sailor

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

I have found a pair of old wooden water skis in mint shape. They are 7" wide x 65" long.

I'm thinking of making a custom longboard that can be set up as a land sailor for windsurfing.

Anyone out there with a land sailor.....my main question is where to set the mast base relative to the front trucks/wheels.

I'm thinking just in front of the front wheels for the mast base position.

Below in the picture (for reference that is a 38" longboard skateboard beside the waterski). I have just placed the wheels and mast base roughly where I think it should go (no holes drilled yet). Does it look OK?

I'm also thinking that this waterski is long enough that I could make the dimensions (eg. mast foot distance from tail) roughly the same dimensions as my Goya One?

Thoughts? Should I cut the tip off and make the overall length shorter? Does anyone have dimensions for a land sailor?

I have 2 of these skis.....so if I mess up the first one it will become a skateboard.

Thanks,

Keith
Attachments
P5160009.jpg
P5160009.jpg (156.11 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

moreso than a board on water (since that can pivot much easier than sticky urethane wheels on asphalt), it depends on how big of a sail you plan to use.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KC7777

landsailor

Post by KC7777 »

Thx moo.

PS - it will have four wheels so can I call it a quad?

K
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

ya gotta consider friction as a primary factor for placement of that universal, (bring the drill with you), and of course tribune bay may require bigger wheels and trucks..., and a cool concept for black-top (or possibly hard sand) sailing could be a floating universal base, to allow foot work carving while preserving sail&mast foot pressure - I've got a plan!
KC7777

landsailor

Post by KC7777 »

Hey FOLO,

This would be strictly low wind, small sail (4.2?) on a big flat blacktop parking lot with skateboard wheels.

Will likely leave the nose a bit long and try a few positions.

K
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

that looks like my stick, minus the flip tip. i put the mast base about an inch ahead of the truck, works fine. and leave the ski rocker there, it looks boss!
8)
KC7777

Wind skate

Post by KC7777 »

This guy sucks....check out around 1.46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfrn4Eesno
skipro

landskate

Post by skipro »

KC could you put a big swivel roller on the front so it is more like actual windsurfing? rear wheels would grip like a fin, but the nose could swing?

Might not work for carving gybes etc. like a skateboard would.

don't hurt yourself for actual windsurfing. Land is harder than water.
Cheers,
Craig