Best Campsites along the Gorge/Hood river for windsurfing

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Tyvealive

Best Campsites along the Gorge/Hood river for windsurfing

Post by Tyvealive »

So, I just decided after talking to a guy at I.V (mandowind) to make a trip out to the Gorge. I thought it was time to see where it's all happening. I leave Wednesday and was thinking about camping out at Vineto State Park. I'll be down there for a week.

Does anyone know of any other good campsites in the area close to the river with moderate wind?

I'm also thinking about some intermediate lessons, has anyone had good/bad experiences at any of the shops down there?

Cheers,
Ty
Cindy

Go to Tucker

Post by Cindy »

Ok...Viento "looks" nice and convenient...but the trains, or geesh, the trains that seemingly go right through your tent in the middle of the night.

Tucker is a little out of town but it is nice, relatively quite and has showers.

There are also places on the Washington side but I'm sure someone will reply about those.

Cheers
Cindy
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

there is really not much good sailing off Viento, the trains are killer but Gorge really has not much in the way of camping in peace. Tucker's is relatively quiet, you cannot really get away from the trains otherwise. I always loved Maryhill camping and the sailing can be really great, esp for intermediates but not sure how much current there is right now. Avoid being swept under the bridge, it sucks....ask me how I know.... :roll: Viento is close to HR and lessons, the hook etc. for you I suppose. Vehicle camping can be fairly incognito and then you have the marina in the morning/evening to clean up and that is right near the beginner sites. Try the other side and white salmon, there are some hidey places up there
As an alternative, the B&B places and inns are seemingly a little hurting, might try sharing one and save yourself all the hardship. Bingen has a killer bar to hang out in, t-shirt diving with fat girls is a hit there
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Viento sucks, i slept my first gorge night ever there and was woken at 430am by a train right next to my site, had no idea there was even a track there. Memaloose park is a nice place near HR, to get there you have to go up to the Dalles then double back west in I-84. if you want to camp n sail the same spot, Maryhill is probably the best. Maybe Home Valley.
terrapin

Post by terrapin »

Kus, when you mention 'hidey' spots up by white salmon/bingen--are you referring to "the water tower" spot?...
Tyvealive

Post by Tyvealive »

Right on, thanks for the info guys. I might check out tucker. I'll also make sure to bring ear plugs.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Memaloose is where I always stay http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_163.php
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yeah, Tucker is OK though not as good a deal as Memaloose for quality of showers etc. The Tucker riverside spots are great though, 'white noise' sleeping pill! Check out the weird mix of ponderosa pine (dry interior) and Garry oak (coast) forest. I was never bothered by trains at Memaloose, but then I'm almost deaf in one ear.....
Try sailing Rowena while you are there. Really nice day-use site.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

If you want to go a little to the east check out Roosevelt.

http://www.freeguidetonwcamping.com/ore ... t_Park.htm

The sailing can be pretty sweet there. There are hot showers, grassy rigging area, and it's .... drum roll ... free!

A Roosevelt sailing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0AUgxDYv4
I wish my TOW was longer!
Windsurfish

Bone Yard

Post by Windsurfish »

Hey, I know a great free campsite in the Wind river area. PM MF4 (or his son) about it. Comes with a huge selection of animal carrion, empty shotgun shells, garbage... It is amazing he still talks to me after that one. LOL I'd recommend Tucker as a good pay site, Rosevelt as a free out east site, or you could camp at the Wall, or Avery (both free, and trained). I believe that IPAs were brewed originally in the gorge to dull the pain that the trains induce.
Avery has a "Nitinaht Feel" and a local group of regulars. It can be very windy there as well, when all other sites are Meh.

Have a great trip. Check out Doppio on the main drag in hood river for coffee & breakfast sandwiches.

:D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

wind is in the desert next few days at least....

just surveyed Arlington Marina, dry camping $9/night and they have washrooms, grass, the launch is 50m away and the trains at least 200m :lol: Seems okay tho, or stay for a month for $300 full service.....well, hook ups I mean :roll: ... or $21 per night.
Launch here sucks hard, slippery rocks in the swell, better be quick and sure footed :idea: I suppose Roosevelt across the way is a better bet. Seemed only marginally busy today.
Wish less, sail more!!

ozy

Hood

Post by ozy »

Bettes has crab Benny's which are heaped with crab. It's the only thing keeping me here. The brewery helps
CTK

Post by CTK »

Heading down that way next week. Are you guys having to chase the wind each day? Or when it's on it on everywhere? How do you predict/ find current winds? Just staying in chateau dodge w/canopy. Thinking of getting a new wetsuit. Is it worth holding off till I'm down that way?
altoning

Post by altoning »

CTK wrote:Heading down that way next week. Are you guys having to chase the wind each day? Or when it's on it on everywhere? How do you predict/ find current winds? Just staying in chateau dodge w/canopy. Thinking of getting a new wetsuit. Is it worth holding off till I'm down that way?
Wind forecasts:
iWindsurf Daily and iWindsurf Extended require a paid subscription but is available free at Windance.
Temira's Forecast is free.
Windspeed is free.

Wetsuit:
Just picked up a O'Neill Mutant 5/4 Wetsuit to replace my Promotion 5/3 which only lasted 3 years (250 sessions). This winter wetsuit worked well over the weekend at the Gorge but will get too hot as summer advances. It has glued and blindstitched seams (Promotion doesn't) which will keep you much warmer in winter waters.

It takes some practice getting in and out without help but gets easier as you break it in. When getting out, my technique is to pull the cuff and sleeve over my left hand before pulling the neck over my left shoulder then my left elbow.

I paid $310 at Windance after bugging them for a 10% discount. The O'Neill Mutant is very warm and comfy and I expect it to last twice as long as my retired 5/3 Promotion.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

altoning wrote:O'Neill Mutant 5/4 Wetsuit to replace my Promotion 5/3 which only lasted 3 years (250 sessions). This winter wetsuit worked well over the weekend at the Gorge but will get too hot as summer advances. It has glued and blindstitched seams (Promotion doesn't) which will keep you much warmer in winter waters.
no promotion for me, they don't stand behind their product in my humble and individual experience, nice suit, lasted 2 years and totally fell apart :roll:

As for the Gorge, yes, you drive everyday pretty much. Get the readings from Windance or a coffee shop in the morning, make a plan, go :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!