Agate Park Kelp Bed

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Agate Park Kelp Bed

Post by more force 4 »

I tried out Agate Park for the first time today - I'd always done dogwalks from just north, never knew this park was here. Seemed about perfect for NE, nice sheltered grassy rigging area (clean in AM, too much dogshit by the time I derigged :evil: ). The kelp bed about 750 m out is a pain - pushed through it "Please don't fall, please don't fall" :shock: once to get a longer run and the wind looked better on outside, but it was too much hassle to make a regular thing. Does anyone know if it peters out N or S of the launch? The run out to it is just long enough on a high tide, I expect it would come up awfully fast on a low tide with the wide beach here.

Anyone have tips on how to get through kelp best? I just tried to absorb the deaceleration and after slowing let the nose submerge to lift the fin some - I guess a weed or wave fin would work better, but there wasn't near enough wind for that. Also, if your going to hit a single strand, is it generally better to hit the thick part or the fronds? I couldn't tell much diff.

Anyone sail SE here? So long as it isn't too far S, and coming over 10 mile point, it should be pretty clean, but the currents seem less than Island View.

Anyway, SO GREAT to get out on the water in the sun, even if I was fully powered only 10% of the time! Couldn't feel my feet after 3 hours, though, got to get booties! :P :D :lol:
Morley
kus

agate

Post by kus »

thanks for the info, been wondering about the place, was gonna go that very day!! Glad I stayed home and warm. Kus