New Web Cam up at Columbia Beach

What's new on the website
Mattdog

New Web Cam up at Columbia Beach

Post by Mattdog »

Dave and I just finished installing the webcam at Columbia Beach and it looks great. We had a problem with the cable but sorted it out. We are hoping to install a weather station next week including anemometer, thermometer and barmoeter for web access. The internet service is costing around $30/mo and gear is over $2000, so please if you find this cam useful make a donation to Dave. This gear will hopefully eliminate a lot of the fluke factor when considering venturing to Columbia. Just think of all the hours you've misspent driving in vain, and the new productivity that will now translate into (then make a donation :))! I'm just a helper and local liaison so ask Dave if you have any technical questions. Thanks and Enjoy! :D

PS if you see Ron our generous hosting homeowner say a thanks to him.
Signature Block.
bwd
Developer
Developer

New Columbia cam...

Post by bwd »

Yes the 'secret' is out - the Columbia Beach webcam is up and running.

BIG thanks to Ron for hosting the camera and to Mattdog for finding the location and helping set everything up. Thanks also to Bosun's Locker for their continued support of the webcams. The whole process took about 3 months to complete. We were hoping to install it on Friday but something came up (30 knots of it).

Bear with us for a few weeks while we figure out the best camera angle etc. Also this is a fixed zoom camera. Let me know if you think more zoom would help. This lens is 45mm but I could get a 65mm that would shrink the field of view by 1.5 times and make the water fill more of the frame. What do you think?

Columbia Beach is just north of Parksville and works on a SE wind. It is possibly the best place to sail on the Island, my favourite anyway. It has steady side shore conditions and can get nice rideable waves (4-6ft+ swells). It works best on a medium to high tide.

A daily archive of the webcam shots is saved here, but it is overwritten at the beginning of every day.
Last edited by bwd on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Thanks Mattdog and Dave!

Columbia has been a long awaited webcam site. This website just keeps getting better and better. I'll definitely be making another donation soon.

It's going to be tough to ignore the CB webcam on workdays. It'll be pure torture watching it go off!

Thanks for all of the hardwork to all those involved in running this site.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Cam update

Post by bwd »

Webcam seems to be working ok today. I guess we don't really need more zoom.

I had to turn the Last 10 pictures off for now since it looks like the internet speed can't handle 30 second updates and renaming the 10 files. We opted for a slower Shaw connection since it's a lot cheaper.

You can always check the cam archive here to see pics from the whole day.
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
JL

Post by JL »

8) I like it! I like it a lot Dave!
Thermals are good.
dunkinguy

columbia cam

Post by dunkinguy »

Thanks boys. Great camera angle. Wider angle might be better, but do we really want to see Paul and Ozzy shredding just upwind or downwind from the current setting? I think it is great as is. Dunkingirl is going to have to set some groundrules around me viewing the Columbia archive.
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

nice! =D>
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Columbia cam

Post by KUS »

Most awesome Dave and helpers!! Just to check the weather in general is cool, never mind the action views, holy! Full window view is so much clearer too.

Much appreciated by all I am sure, mega potential fuel savings again too. =D> Cheers. kus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....