Nat Rivertrail Revival Party, anyone?

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Nat Rivertrail Revival Party, anyone?

Post by KUS »

Hey, fellow mountain bikers & sailors....I hadn't been to the lake so long for a bike and was surprised to see the blow down section of the trail still hasn't been cleared over the last few years. Also the swimming beach section is totally overgrown and needs some ramp upgrade. So many great additions like the sauna upgrades & hot tub and slide, yet the traditional trails for that cross training.....

Any interest while we have this glorious weather to make a work party of it, ride some and maybe even get a few more windy days in the sun?

The chainsaw bucking work will be tricky and dangerous for the wrong guys but apart from my aging and out-of-the-industry self perhaps there are some fallers/buckers in our group to help and there is also basic clearing maintenance that needs doing to revitalize that trail section that could be done by anyone willing to swing a shovel or axe :twisted:

It would sure be rewarding to get the trail open again to both the swimming hole and that loop. The coming winter may add another job or two but the old sections will still need clearing.

Trail work in the morning followed by a sail/kite? Perhaps a keg of beer with a great BBQ would also entice a good group to give a hand over a couple of weekend days coming up? Just wondering 8) And I for one would love a reason to go back for another weekend :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Nice to see that you and Nitinat are back together Kus.

I'd love to come help, especially if a keg is involved, but am out of town for work this weekend :(
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nanmoo wrote:Nice to see that you and Nitinat are back together Kus.

I'd love to come help, especially if a keg is involved, but am out of town for work this weekend :(
yes, I did have a bit of a revival this summer, tough to stay away from paradise. Just a few peaceful magical days there and I want nothing more than give back to it.....I wasn't actually thinking THIS weekend (tho the forecast is looking better now), but perhaps one that has a good westerly flow and still decent temps....maybe we will get another one or two. :idea:

Moreso I also just want to raise the issue, if every walker or visitor could only clear a branch, kick some dirt level or place a rock in a hollow....many hands make little work 8)
Wish less, sail more!!

Randy

Post by Randy »

I'll kick in if I'm available.
I missed the Nat this summer.
How's that big hole in the road Kus? Does that need any tlc too?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Randy wrote:How's that big hole in the road Kus? Does that need any tlc too?
The road out was exceptionally good, all graded, last 8km from Youbou are hard as usual but no potholes. The camp road holes just at the gate have been mostly filled, looked like it was done by hand? Good on whoever did it, much better. The huge normally waterfilled camp road hole is smooth but collects water and could use a layer of gravel/grader.

2 small chainsaw wielders, 1 large (mine?), a shovel crew to fill holes & a slash crew....7-10 people for a few hours each day between sailing and beers and I bet the trail could be fully rideable at the end of a 3 day weekend :idea: Oct 4-8th looks great right now, we shall see 8)
Last edited by KUS on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Good on ya KUS. I walked the trail to Vic's Beach in August and you are right, it's pretty tough to navigate in sections.

I'm in Kansas City from Friday through Friday but maybe a weekend later in mid-October.

Alternatively, I guess we could get at it in May next year. Good way to kick off the Victoria Day long weekend. I'd load up on red Racer IPA to quench the crew thirst.

I've got a short bar chain saw for small stuff.
I wish my TOW was longer!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I have all next week off now Kus, if the weather looks nice and you are going, I may just tag along.
Randy

Post by Randy »

I think I can handle that too 'Moo.

Also I was thinking of checking my garage for old cans of paint if any of the outhouses still need their insides prettied up. :shock:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Well, I know it's Thanksgiving and all that and maybe this needs to happen Thursday to Saturday only....but it's a nice forecast, might even get a few light puffs of wind :?:

So far I hear Moo and Randy but we need a couple more people for crew 8)
Anyone else into having a few sweaty beers in the sun after some morning tense & careful blow down log bucking :?: A shovel or slash crew of two more at least would be great :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Popped my shoulder last night at Soccer, so sadly I am out of the work party.